Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-11, 12:31 PM  
acey

Hour of Power

Well, I was in the mood for something different this morning -- and I got it.

Hour Of Power, which I bought from amazon.uk, struck me as being thematically similar to the Nell McAndrew workouts -- lots of repetition, lots of jogging in place and lots and lots and lots of squats.

Rajko, the instructor, is a slender sinewy New Age-looking sort, long hair, often bare-chested (the video goes back and forth between him, fully clothed, and two backgrounders in a gym, to him alone standing bare-chested on a mountain range, to him and other backgrounders along a river).

Despite the hippie look he is very no-nonsense and British in his instruction. I love that his 60-something-yr-old dad joins him in the ab section and becomes a source of motivation for us.

This is the sort of workout I really should have found mind-numbingly boring. You do stretches, even wiggling your wrists, and literally scores of squats in the warm-up. Then you spend 25 minutes running or shuffling in place while doing alternating bicep curls, alternating overhead presses, double bicep curls, bicep with one hand and overhead tricep with the other, double overhead presses. Then a few seconds more of pure cardio, like football runs -- and that's it.

Then about 15 minutes of ab work, a lot of it in V-sit.

Yet somehow, I did not find it boring. Maybe it was the awesome pulsing music combined with Rejko's calm, encouraging instruction. Maybe it was the occasional OMG visual moment -- one, his goofy white workout shoes in the gym (they look like Mary Janes) and the other, his, ummm, slight protrusion in the shorts when standing on the mountaintop. Also, in the gym, there's a window looking out into the weight room, and you see these guys roaming around back there.

I dropped from 5-lb weights to 2-lb weights after a while. The constant repetition was starting to strain my forearm during the bicep sequence. But the extra weight still seemed to double the cardio effect, albeit the footwork really is nothing but shuffling, jogging or maybe calf-pumping in place.

Sometimes a workout comes along (like a person) and there's no logical reason why I should like it, but I do. One of the joys of being a vidiot.
Old 04-15-11, 12:47 PM  
spotted zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by acey View Post

Sometimes a workout comes along (like a person) and there's no logical reason why I should like it, but I do. One of the joys of being a vidiot.
There are a few things I might change about this workout, given a chance, but then I say that about a lot of workouts! I enjoy doing this on a rebounder and I prefer it over Nell's, and hers are good too. While they're similar, I prefer the instructor on Hour of Power. I've never quite managed to get used to the instructor Nell works with. Shouting army bloke guy, isn't that how one Amazon UK reviewer referred to him? Yup. Lol. I still do Nell's, but I try to tune out her teacher as much as possible. I like these types of workouts though.
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-11, 06:46 PM  
loulou

I have to thank you, Acey. I saw this post a few weeks ago and since I love Nell McAndrew's workouts on the rebounder, (I enjoy the drill instructor and the no nonsense approach) but needed something new. I had to order Hour of Power. Like you said, from appearances there should be no reason to like it, you just do.

I do think it can be a very effective workout though. The repetition and long sets involving aerobics and weights really wear you out and I can really feel the abs exercises working where they are supposed to. When I saw the impressive youtube video spotted zebra had posted on the other thread with Dragan, the instructor's father;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj0pQ7-sKno

it seems obvious these people do know about effective ways to workout. The comic relief of the white Mary Janes and the protrusion just added to the weird sensation of "why am I enjoying this?" What a great distraction from normal, along with a good workout. Thanks again.
loulou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-11, 11:19 PM  
spotted zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by loulou View Post
... When I saw the impressive youtube video spotted zebra had posted on the other thread with Dragan, the instructor's father;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj0pQ7-sKno

it seems obvious these people do know about effective ways to workout...
I love that clip. I don't usually get books about fitness, but if Dragan ever wrote one I'd read it!
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-11, 11:00 AM  
acey

I'll have to check out that video now!
Old 07-05-11, 11:18 AM  
A-Bot
VF Supporter

Can this be played on a US DVD player?
Old 07-05-11, 12:22 PM  
MM-Om

Funny, you mentioned this dvd, as I have just ordered this from amazon UK.

Ali, if you have multi-region player this will play. I did not realize that I have a multi-region DVD player. I am now hooked on dvds from UK
If you don't have a multi-region player you can copy the dvds using Slysoft software-AnyDVD and CloneDVD (you still need IMGBurn to convert to ISO image) and than you can play them on region 1 dvd player. I am no expert by any means in this, I am sure someone can clarify this better.
Old 07-05-11, 12:26 PM  
A-Bot
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM-Om View Post
Funny, you mentioned this dvd, as I have just ordered this from amazon UK.

Ali, if you have multi-region player this will play. I did not realize that I have a multi-region DVD player. I am now hooked on dvds from UK
If you don't have a multi-region player you can copy the dvds using Slysoft software-AnyDVD and CloneDVD (you still need IMGBurn to convert to ISO image) and than you can play them on region 1 dvd player. I am no expert by any means in this, I am sure someone can clarify this better.
Wow! Thanks Mag - I never thought of this!
Old 10-11-11, 05:21 PM  
MM-Om

I tried this workout for the first time this morning and was pleasently surprised how much I enjoyed it. Much to my surprise the standing portion is only 30 min (not what you would expect from the title). I did not do the abs and back workout (that's probably was another 1/2 hr I guess)
I used 2 lbs and could really feel the burn. My heart rate stayed up for most of the workout and the 30 min went by very fast. Great workout if are short on time, want some change to your routine and want to get some sweat going
Old 10-12-11, 12:29 AM  
loulou

Still enjoying this one. Especially since you can implement the rebounder. You can get through the ab section in about 10 minutes if you don't do the final exercise on all fours. Just doing this makes a really effective ab workout. Then the final section is a modified yoga/stretch.
loulou is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hour of power, non-region 1 dvds, rajko radovic