Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 11-04-22, 03:31 PM  
BunnyHop

As for a general suggestion, I love the original Jari Love workout, but since I don't do workouts that length or intensity any more, I've pretty much stopped doing weight workouts unless I'm just doing some sort of DIY set of moves.

Would love to see some shorter workouts in this style, especially if they can briefly work the whole body.

The thing that always gets me is that most instructors move too fast when transitioning from one move to another, from standing to floor, or from left to right sides, etc, . IMO, there's no giant hurry to position yourself correctly to do the work you're setting up. If you don't make that mistake, you're way ahead of the competition. You're the teacher, so lead by example. (I'm just saying, haven't watched enough of your work to know if this is any sort of issue for you. )

Another general working out issue for me is overall pace and intensity. At my current age/fitness level, moving with deliberate speed is essential. No rushing, no compromising proper form. Lots of otherwise useful workouts are no use to me because they're in such a hurry.

Your work looks really good, how exciting that you can share it now. Whee!
Old 11-04-22, 03:36 PM  
severin817

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
As for a general suggestion, I love the original Jari Love workout, but since I don't do workouts that length or intensity any more, I've pretty much stopped doing weight workouts unless I'm just doing some sort of DIY set of moves.

Would love to see some shorter workouts in this style, especially if they can briefly work the whole body.

The thing that always gets me is that most instructors move too fast when transitioning from one move to another, from standing to floor, or from left to right sides, etc, . IMO, there's no giant hurry to position yourself correctly to do the work you're setting up. If you don't make that mistake, you're way ahead of the competition. You're the teacher, so lead by example. (I'm just saying, haven't watched enough of your work to know if this is any sort of issue for you. )

Another general working out issue for me is overall pace and intensity. At my current age/fitness level, moving with deliberate speed is essential. No rushing, no compromising proper form. Lots of otherwise useful workouts are no use to me because they're in such a hurry.

Your work looks really good, how exciting that you can share it now. Whee!
Yes, I totally agree with you on transitions and speed. I've done many workouts where the exercises are performed too quickly to use a full range of motion safely.

I was probably guilty of this in my 20s and 30s but now that I'm in my 50s I'm much more deliberate and conscious of my movements, especially strength training.

What is a good time length for a strength workout for you?
Old 11-04-22, 03:50 PM  
Erica H.

My request would be for a Jari Love type strength split workout. Either just upper or lower body; upper body could be full upper or a push-pull split (one day push and another pull) or something like that. Looking forward to trying out your workouts and seeing what you come out with next. Thanks for sharing!

Erica
Old 11-04-22, 03:55 PM  
severin817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
My request would be for a Jari Love type strength split workout. Either just upper or lower body; upper body could be full upper or a push-pull split (one day push and another pull) or something like that. Looking forward to trying out your workouts and seeing what you come out with next. Thanks for sharing!

Erica
Love it! I'll record some this weekend and post them next week. How long do you prefer the workouts to be?
Old 11-04-22, 04:17 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by severin817 View Post
Love it! I'll record some this weekend and post them next week. How long do you prefer the workouts to be?
45-ish minutes is perfect for me but I know everyone is different. Thanks so much!

Erica
Old 11-04-22, 05:14 PM  
sbh

I love your energy!! I haven't looked at all your workouts, but I subscribed. Hopefully there will be something for this over 60 gal to enjoy. Maybe a strength/balance workout for seniors?
Old 11-04-22, 05:21 PM  
severin817

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbh View Post
I love your energy!! I haven't looked at all your workouts, but I subscribed. Hopefully there will be something for this over 60 gal to enjoy. Maybe a strength/balance workout for seniors?
Hi Sherri!

I have 60+ ladies in my in-person classes. And I often sub Keli Roberts Everyday Strength class for seniors class on Breakthru Fit Studio. I love to integrate strength and balance in the same workout. That's a great idea for a video!
Old 11-04-22, 11:14 PM  
Venus

Hi Laura!

I tried the 20 Minute Bodyweight Legs & Glutes Workout. I didn't use dumbbells and got a great workout.

What I liked:
-brief preview and outline of the workout at the beginning
-workout started right away
-brief warm-up and cool-down included
-the exercises performed (the order, the giant sets, the mix of standing and floor, the 45 seconds on/15 seconds off)
-length of the workout
-guidance and form pointers throughout (kept me focused)
-the timer during the exercises
-video quality (I agree that it's very well done/polished!)
-the background (not stark or cluttered)
-your demeanor (friendly, but focused) and clothing (not distracting, and purple!)

Suggestions:
-I like when the thumbnail and title match more closely. I track my workouts and it makes it easier (less confusing) to find a video if I want to repeat it. For example, the thumbnail could have said "20 Minute Bodyweight Legs & Glutes".
-The stated time (20 min) doesn't match the video length (23 min). I would prefer the workout is actually 20 minutes, or if it says "23 minute workout" instead. I know the time is probably rounded for search purposes and many channels do this, so not a big deal. Just a pet peeve.
-I may be in the minority, but I would have liked the workout without music. I had a bit of a headache and the beat was distracting at times. I had the volume low (just loud enough to hear the instructions), so it wasn't too uncomfortable.

The suggestions I made aren't deal breakers for me. I enjoyed the workout, and I will gladly repeat it; it was fun and effective. I thought it would be easy/light, but I did get sweaty and felt worked, but not exhausted, by the end.

I love bodyweight and lower body workouts. I would like to see more of both or either, perhaps all standing and all floorwork lower body workouts?

Thank you for posting about your channel! You have a lot of videos posted already. I only browsed a bit, but definitely want to try more workouts. I'm not into HIIT so much, but I would like to try your bodyweight, boxing cardio, low impact cardio, core, and dumbbell strength workouts! I tend to prefer 15-, 20-, 25-, and 30-minute workouts.

Quote:
Also, I've converted all of my DVD workouts to my hard drive and I can't bear the thought of throwing the discs away. I'm just looking to give them to anyone that wants them.
You might want to post in Share the Wealth:

Share the Wealth - November 2022

Old 11-04-22, 11:42 PM  
Demeris

Quote:
Thank you so much! I'll be adding more 10 and 20 minute workouts soon. What kinds of short workouts are you interested in?

As far as the DVDs I'm going to update my spreadsheet and I think I can upload it here? I have A LOT.
I like to use short weighted workouts as addons

I don't remember seeing any Pilates on your playlists, but if you're certified in that OR if you've developed a Pilates-inspired kind of workout, I'd love some of those, too.
Old 11-05-22, 04:15 AM  
Negin

Your channel looks great, and I'm about to subscribe. Thank you for this!
Your voice is lovely and the production quality looks fabulous.

Tags
laurawellsfitness, severin817