Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-03, 03:28 PM  
videogirl

Is it the speed of the Vedral workouts that give results?

I'm curious because I bought the Cathe pyramids instead of the Vedral. I'm going very heavy on the Cathe pyramids because that appears to me to be the only way to get the muscle fatigued. I know that you use much lighter weights on Vedrals, because she literally does the reps faster.

But I'm totally confused on why Vedral gives such good results. If it's not lifting heavier weight and it's not more reps, then what is it? Why would speed of workout give results in definition?

Maybe I'm missing something here! Thanks!
videogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-03, 05:04 PM  
Seabush

Curious as well

I'm curious to know the answer as well. Why does this type of workout give comparable or better results than a slower pace, higher weight routine. I have the Definition, Bottoms Up, and Fat Burning tapes but I'm reluctant to do them because the speed requires that I lower my weights. I'm afraid I'll lose my strength gains if I invest a lot of time doing these lower weight, fast pace tapes.

Crystal
Seabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-03, 05:21 PM  
deanne
VF Supporter

Let's see

I'm looking at Joyce's book Definition now, but my first thought, Crystal, was about strength gains. For me, that isn't my concern I'm more concerned (at this point) with having some nicely defined muscles, not how much I can hoist over my head, so that could be a big difference in the type of results I'm looking for.

Anyhoo....Joyce says that "Definition is a shorter workout that utilizes light weights in rapid succession and delivers definition - in shapely muscles- as opposed to the bulk that comes with a longer workout using heavier weights in slower succession. The fact is, in order to get maximum definition, you must work very fast , and indeed, you get a fat-burning aerobic workout while at the same time you achieve Definition."

She also goes on to say "By working faster with lighter weights, you're developing muscles with maximum definition."

So, that's the reasoning anyway!

Deanne
deanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-03, 06:00 PM  
Mollie F.
VF Supporter

Hmm. I'm sure that the speed is a factor, but I think that in my case length is a greater factor. I actually do Joyce's workouts, as opposed to longer workouts that just sit on my shelves.
Old 02-11-03, 06:07 PM  
Theotoks
VF Supporter

You also do . . .

lots and lots of reps per body part.

In a typical Fat Burning Workout, you do 15 sets per bodypart -- 5 different exercises x 3 sets -- averaging 10 reps per set. That's 150 reps. And you "split up" butt and thighs into two bodyparts.

I think with Definition you do more,
Old 02-11-03, 06:45 PM  
firmbogie

The Firm has the same philosophy

Their older, classic tapes, used this concept as well. Lots of compound moves, so you were working more than one muscle group, and the speed of reps required lighter weights. I lost the most inches doing this type of workout.
Old 02-11-03, 07:10 PM  
Theotoks
VF Supporter

One more thing . . .

On Joyce's discussion forums, she has posted repeatedly that the reason she came out with videos was because people do not move fast enough when they use the books.

Obviously she believes the speed is essential to see the results.

Just her .02.
Old 02-11-03, 08:15 PM  
Bebop

It's interesting because Bottoms Up Gold moves slower but still quickly - I think the speed is a factor - it gives a small aerobic effect - I find I get my best results with Joyce - I started with her and than got burned out - I did her exclusively for over a year - but I got in shape. Maybe because the workouts are less time consuming its easier to stay comitted?

But, she designs programs primarily for women who want to get in shape but not appear bulky. I don't see how anyone can bulk up with the speed and amount of reps she uses.

Also, it may be the pyramid system also - she swears by it.

I get more of a defined look with Joyce - With Cathe I was able to lift heavy but I never got a cut look - I like to alternate them - kind of playing it safe and continuing the muscle confusion thing - some workouts Slow, some quickly, some heavy, some light, etc.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-03, 09:13 PM  
videogirl

Re: Let's see

Quote:
Originally posted by deanne
I'm more concerned (at this point) with having some nicely defined muscles, not how much I can hoist over my head, so that could be a big difference in the type of results I'm looking for.

Well shucks! This is what I want. Now I'm thinking I should have ordered a Joyce instead of Cathe. I want definition and I thought it was the "pyramid" workout that would give me this. I guess I didn't realize it was the faster pace that made the difference.

I had great results from doing Firms a few years ago and then I seemed to plateau on them. I haven't found anything since that worked as well as they did.

I love my Cathe Pyramids, but I've become convinced that lifting heavy is just not going to give me the look I'm going for. Oh good golly my DH will have a fit if I order another DVD and Vedrals are so spendy!
videogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-03, 08:02 AM  
Messe

Re: Re: Let's see

Quote:
Originally posted by videogirl
Oh good golly my DH will have a fit if I order another DVD and Vedrals are so spendy!
If you can bear to wait, start watching the swaps and even eBay for a deal on some gently used/viewed only once Joyce workouts. I suspect that a lot of people who jumped on the Joyce bandwagon will find she's not what they were looking for. I've gotten some incredible deals that way.

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
joyce vedral