Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 07-07-12, 12:58 PM  
lotusgirl

Question Other programs like Blissology?

I really like Blissology and would like to know what else is out there like it. I found this thread, but it's almost a year old: http://96.30.11.231/~vfwnk/forum/sho...d.php?t=168867

I was already a fan of Shiva Rea, Sara Ivanhoe, Alan Finger, Yoga Zone, Max Strom, and Rainbeau Mars. I was familiar with Sadie Nardini and Janet Stone because of Amazon, so reading about your experiences with them has been interesting. I had never heard of Eoin Finn or Blissology until VF. Ditto for the Ulimate Yoga - Travis Eliot. I wasn't familiar with myyogavideo.com either.

I've looked at Eoin's other clips, and I do think that Blissology is the best fit for me of all his DVDs. I like his pace, and I like his informality of being in the moment. I like that he connects yoga with the world. As my yoga teachers say, "take off the mat what you learn on the mat."

I like my yoga to not just be asanas. That's what I like about the people listed above, they tend to include elements of the other eight limbs. (Judith Hanson Lasater is one of my favorite yoga writers.)

I've spent some time going through older threads and found Tilak Pyle, who I'd not heard of before, but finding out that he trained with Erich Schiffman, as did Sara Ivanhoe, was very good to know.

I've tried kundalini classes, as well as Gurmukh and Maya Fiennes, and I don't like it. However, I am going to give Ravi and Ana a chance through Amazon on Demand.

Up until two years ago, my yoga DVD experience was limited to Element and then Shiva Rea. It's actually the Element DVDs that I found at Costco that got me to using yoga DVDs. Prior to this, my experience started in my teens with a Richard Hittleman book and then in college, I started taking classes. In the past year, I've been exploring other yoga DVDs through Netflix, Exercise TV, then Comcast on Demand - a brand new world for me. I love the ones filmed outside with good music. I think that's another reason I like Blissology - it's like doing yoga with your friends outside, which I have done before.

I still take classes, but it's been fun to explore yoga through DVDs and online. I have found that the DVDs enrich my yoga experience in so many ways. I'm still learning about the online programs, since most of them I'd have to watch through my laptop.

So, I'm looking for recommendations on yogis or programs that aren't just asanas. Any suggestions? I'm a solid intermediate at home but in a class with a good teacher, I will try more advanced poses. I'm not going to do handstands at home. I'm open to DVDs, online, etc. Thanks!
Old 07-07-12, 01:43 PM  
zippity

I'm new to yoga, but a prolific dvd buyer, so here are a few suggestions...

You mentioned Ultimate Yoga; if you don't already have it, UY Cross Training is on pre-order...

Bryan Kest and Mark Blanchard are good if you like power yoga. Blanchard has several small "sets" called Progressive Power Yoga (3 dvd set) and Progressive Power Yoga The Sedona Experience (5 dvd set). Bryan Kest has Power Yoga: Tone, Energize, and Sweat on 1 DVD.

http://www.amazon.com/Mark-Blanchard...ona+experience

Janet Stone is excellent; my favourite is Radiant Flow; many other recommend Radiant Mom (you don't have to be a mom to love it). She doesn't have any sets that I know of, but does several in a series with a common theme. Ganesha Flow and Ananda Vinyasa are also highly recommended.

American Power Yoga/AP60 is a set of about 10 dvds with a 60 day program. I really don't know anything about it: It's expensive on amazon, perhaps you could find it cheaper used or on ebay: http://www.amazon.com/APY60-Power-Yo...can+power+yoga

Hope this helps!
Old 07-07-12, 01:59 PM  
Belle de Jour

You already mentioned both that I'd suggest.

I'm in love with Janet Stone's DVDs--hers are definitely not just asana practices; I feel very centered following her. Sadie Nardini would be my second pick, but she is a little more athletic and not as meditative.
Old 07-07-12, 02:12 PM  
lotusgirl

Thank you both! I'm really intrigued by Janet Stone. I've tried some Sadie Nardini clips, but I don't click with her even though I do like her writing. I have ordered the two stand alone Travis Eliot DVDs. I want to sample those before committing to the whole UY. I love the look of the UY. Thanks again!
Old 07-07-12, 02:14 PM  
Belle de Jour

I hope you find what works for you.
Old 07-07-12, 06:23 PM  
missmomus

Take a look at myyogavideo.com. I haven't tried all of their offerings but I strongly recommend Heart Flow Vinyasa with Ishwari Gonnot. You can check out clips on the site.

Tags
blissology, erich schiffmann, judith lasater, max strom, yoga