Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 01-15-13, 02:27 PM  
mwelters
VF Supporter

LuLu Wonder Unders

Where do you buy yours and do they ever go on sale? I received a pair for Christmas and fell in Love and want more. Continually look at ebay but $78 for a used pair? Really? Any help is appreciated.

TIA,

MariaW
Old 01-25-13, 09:53 PM  
spanishcurls

Are you near a store? Sometimes stores have markdowns. If not, you can check their website under "We Made Too Much" http://shop.lululemon.com/products/c...e-made-to-much

lululemon has a high resale value due to their marketing strategy. Once something is sold out, it really is sold out.

Also, do you teach fitness, yoga, etc? You can apply for their R & D membership where you get a discount in-store.
Old 01-26-13, 09:02 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

This is why I refuse to even try lululemon--I don't want to fall in love wtih something I can't afford! They only have really pathetic sales and their stuff is just way too pricey.
Old 01-26-13, 11:05 AM  
spanishcurls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
This is why I refuse to even try lululemon--I don't want to fall in love wtih something I can't afford! They only have really pathetic sales and their stuff is just way too pricey.
I hear you! I will say the clothes really hold up. Plus the fact that you can resell preowned items on ebay and other places tells you how crazy some women are for lululemon. The pants make you look 5 pounds thinner. Stores usually have better mark downs than online.
Old 01-26-13, 01:32 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

But are they really that much nicer than Lucy or Athleta? I troll the sale rack at Lucy and have found some great bargains--$90 X-trainer pants for $30. I washed and worn them over and over and they still look new.

My cousin, who is mad for lululemon, gave me a long-sleeved lulu shirt for Christmas a few years ago (which I am, coincidentally, wearing right now!) It's nice, but I don't think it's anything special... and it probably cost $75 or more.

It seems like lululemon has really cultivated a cult-like following. I'm sure the merchandise is really nice, but I can't imagine it being worth THAT much money! Anyone disagree??
Old 01-26-13, 01:37 PM  
spanishcurls

Nuggie's Auntie, I don't own any Lucy or Athleta workout clothes so I can't comment on the differences. I do agree that there is a cult following for lulu. There are many blogs that focus on lulu. There are multiple FaceBook groups for people who buy and sell lulu. I don't know any other workout brand where people would spend over retail on a preowned item! It is crazy.
Old 01-26-13, 01:56 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Lulu has the marketing of supply and demand down, for sure! Depending on the item and the care given, I have had some lulu stuff hold up better than some lucy stuff. My lucy pants start splitting at the seams eventually (and I take good care with washing and air drying them). But I'm not sure it's worth the extra price for lulu. I tend to try to get that stuff on sale if I get it at all.

I have some athleta stuff that has held up really well over a lot of years and a lot of wearing (non-workout pants).
Old 01-26-13, 02:05 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

There was an article in the WSJ a while ago on lulu's marketing strategy--very limited runs on garments to create a 'frenzy' and apparently it works! I'm still going to keep my distance, though. I don't need another expensive habit. Physique 57 is pricey enough!
Old 01-26-13, 02:13 PM  
spanishcurls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
There was an article in the WSJ a while ago on lulu's marketing strategy--very limited runs on garments to create a 'frenzy' and apparently it works! I'm still going to keep my distance, though. I don't need another expensive habit. Physique 57 is pricey enough!
It definitely works. Then people are willing to spend an insane amount to get their coveted item.

Nuggie's Auntie, do most of the women in your Phsyique 57 class wear lululemon?
Old 01-26-13, 02:22 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanishcurls View Post
Nuggie's Auntie, do most of the women in your Phsyique 57 class wear lululemon?
I have only taken a couple of live classes (I live a bit of a distance from NYC) but P57 has some sort of partnership with lulu and I do recall seeing the logo on some people when I was there. My second class was a few days after Christmas and the instructor (Emily Turner, who also works for lululemon) made a joke about everyone wearing 'new lululemon that you got for Christmas.'

I took a Pure Barre class locally and I noticed quite a few lulu logos there, and lots of people in my area wear lulu out and about. It certainly is very popular.