Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 07-09-23, 06:18 AM  
Negin

Glute Bands

Are they all basically the same, or are some brands better?
I've never used one before. I need one for a Caroline Girvan workout, which I'm hoping to do in the next few days.
I saw something in a store here yesterday, but didn't pay much attention. Can't remember the brand. The stuff they sell is generally okay.
I'm wondering if I should buy one tomorrow, or order one from amazon. We live outside the country, and it takes a long while for anything to get here.
Old 07-09-23, 09:35 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

I really, really like the ones that Cathe sells!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
Old 07-09-23, 09:59 AM  
bubbles76

I have only ever used one kind - Arena Strength. Got them from Amazon. I just started using them and haven't used them a lot, so I can't comment on longevity of the bands or how they compare to others. They appear very high quality. They don't roll down. All three bands in the pack are the same circumference around, so they all fit the same (even though the strengths of the bands are different). I used them for Caroline's workouts and they worked out well.

All that said, if it takes some time for items to get to you then maybe it would be fine to try a local option.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
Old 07-09-23, 10:09 AM  
alisoncooks

I bought the Gymbee brand from Amazon. They work fine. I think any old resistance band would work. These are just convenient and a bit more comfy because the fabric doesn’t dig or roll. I always found that tubing or elastic bands dug into my legs painfully — the fabric ones feel better. Most sets come in light/medium/heavy sets.
Old 07-09-23, 11:59 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

I bought Victorem (wide fabric bands) from Amazon in 2020. At the time, there were just a few brands available on Amazon, and these have stood the test of time for me.

turquoise, pink, aqua (this is the set I own):
https://www.amazon.com/Victorem-Boot...26&sr=8-2&th=1

the diameter in inches of the Victorem bands (unstretched) are:
12.4"
14.5"
17"

band width for all = 3.2".

grey, white, black:
https://www.amazon.com/Victorem-Boot...s%2C226&sr=8-2

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 07-09-23, 04:38 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

I have only one set, so couldn't make comparison. The fabric ones are much more comfortable than the latex. The latex will roll and dig in your thighs -- don't wear shorts!

Mine have varying strength and the loop diameter gets larger as the strength increases. I don't like that. I sewed all of mine to be same diameter.
Old 07-09-23, 05:07 PM  
DawnP
VF Supporter

Cathe's bands worth it

I've bought 3 diff brands of fabric bands and Cathe's boss loops are heads & shoulders above them all.

They are wider and have the right amount of give. And they've held up without overstretching out of shape.

One of the bargain brands I bought in "medium" stretch/strength was impossible to even stretch a half inch. Ended up throwing it away.

Really if I had it to do over I would just buy the triple set of Cathe boss loops. Plus her boss loops glutes & core DVD rocks!
Old 07-09-23, 05:58 PM  
Ann_L

I am currently going to physical therapy and they use these bands. I haven't tried them myself since my problem is my shoulder, but I thought it must say something about their durability that they're used in a large rehab/pt facility.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088396TM2...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Old 07-09-23, 10:09 PM  
ChelePA

Also love Cathe’s fabric loops.
Old 07-10-23, 02:29 AM  
Negin

Thank you all so much. I think I may wait to order. I believe that the ones I saw, and I will go later today, are latex. Having read your replies, I'd rather get latex. So far, I have been hesitant to get them. I've always imagined that it would be annoying to use, that it wouldn't stay put. I've had that experience with the pilates/ballet ball. Gliders don't interest me either. When it comes to equipment, I prefer to keep it minimal.

Tags
booty band, booty bands, caroline girvan, cathe equipment, glute band, resistance loops