Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear > Shoes/Equipment/Gear FAQ's
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 08-08-02, 09:09 PM  
Lenore Levine
VF Supporter

Can aerobics shoes be used for walking?

Well, I think my sometimes dorky friend (*) has gotten the picture:

1) Lenore doesn't take well to being told to walk more, but

2) Lenore does take well to being driven to places to take nice walks.

So, such an event is planned for some time soon, when the weather is cool.

My question: Can I wear my aerobics shoes (Ryka Alchemies), the ones I use for stepping, for walks or light hikes? Or do I need to get walking shoes, too? Mind you, I'm sure just plain Clarks' sandals would work OK, but something a little more cushiony and task-appropriate might be nice, too.

Brand suggestions most welcome.

Lenore Levine

(*) He reminds me of the Innmaster of Bree, who, Tolkien says, can see through a brick wall in time.
Old 08-08-02, 10:03 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

In a word...no!

Most aerobic shoes have soft rubber soles that are meant to be used indoors. They are designed to stick to a gym floor. There is very little tread to grip a dirt surface. The sole would wear out pretty quickly.

You'll have to find a good pair of sturdy walking shoes or even light hikers. The soles are tougher rubber with more tread.

All the major brands have walking shoes. (Reebok, Nike, etc. - I am partial to New Balance due to having pronation problems). The best one would be the one that feels good.

(I am a former Lady Footlocker employee who had to learn more about athletic shoes than anyone ought to have to!)

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 08-09-02, 11:05 AM  
Lynne11

Nope

Alta is right. Every time I have purchased Ryka aerobics shoes at Lady Footlocker the salesperson always made a point of telling me that the sole is not designed for outdoor use and would wear out quickly if routinely worn outdoors.
Old 08-09-02, 10:59 PM  
martonia

A question for Alta?

Alta, since you've worked in the industry, I wonder if you can give an opinion. Is it better to buy a pair of aerobics shoes and a pair of walking shoes, or are cross-trainers okay? I bought the latter -- they're New Balance -- but wonder if I made the right choice. Thanks.

Old 08-10-02, 11:12 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Martonia,

It all depends on what your main use for those shoes will be.

Here is a brief, general breakdown of shoe types:

Walking - Usually more cushioning on the heel as that is what hits the ground first in this activity. Very hard sole with some tread. Not much medial or lateral support for any other activity than walking. More flexible.

Running - Cushioning at heel (and sometimes toe). The heel is usually built up for more support. Very hard sole with deeper treads for traction and shock absorbing. Not much medial or lateral support as running is a forward motion. Not very flexible to give the foot more support.

Aerobic - Cushioning at heel and toe. Soft, shock absorbing soles for indoor use. No treads. More medial and lateral support for side to side movements used in aerobics classes or weight training. Very flexible. These can often be found with "mid" tops for ankle support.

Crosstrainers - Cushioning at heel and toe. Harder soles for outdoor use. Some tread. Some medial and lateral support. Somewhat flexible. Crosstrainers are good if you do a variety of indoor and outdoor sports. But not too much of any one thing. They're not good if you run more than a few miles a week. They are not good for daily aerobics.

I wear mostly New Balance. I had a pair of NB crosstrainers which worked well for most activities. But they never felt quite right when doing step workouts. Maybe they aren't flexible enough?

To make a long story longer. If you are doing one kind of activity a lot, you need to get the sport specific shoe. I have aerobic shoes for aerobics and walking for everyday.

(For workouts I wear Ryka Stylus. They are discontinuing this model and I have stocked up on several pairs.)

And there is some confusion as some shoes are advertised as "crosstrainers" but are actually aerobics shoes that ought not to be worn outside. The soles are not durable enough and will break down. They justify calling them that because you can use them for aerobics and weight lifting or jogging on a treadmill. These are also referred to as "fitness" shoes. The soles aren't hard enough for outdoors.

I hope I've helped.

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 08-10-02, 11:30 AM  
martonia

Thank you Alta!

You've helped tremendously. I never understood the difference between all these types of shoes, but can now see that the differences matter. I don't do step, so my NB's are pretty okay. Thanks again for the excellent information. M.

Old 08-10-02, 01:09 PM  
lsberg
VF Supporter

So does anyone else now have lots of shoes?

Lenore, I absolutely recommend getting a pair of walking shoes. Having the right shoes was a big part of what made me happier about walking. On the other hand, I would probably recommend more shoes to almost anyone!

I sometimes wonder if I'm not just a vidiot, not just a dvdiot, but also a sports shoe addict. I broke my foot about four years ago, and the only thing that got me going again with exercise was a pair of really, really supportive Brooks running shoes. They were heavy, but it was so worth it to have my foot protected. And they turned out to be great for the Firm, since a lot of the Firm is getting stable in one place to do weight work. Needless to say, I became completely obsessed with having the "right" shoe, since that first pair really changed my whole fitness attitude.

Fast forward to a few years later, I find VF, I fall in love with step, I do yoga, I do pilates, I break 100 in the video collection and what do you know, I now love shoes too! I have a pair of NB aerobics shoes for cardio, a pair of Ryka cross-trainers for weights and circuit tapes, a pair of Avia walking shoes for walking with a buddy AND a pair of Avia crosstrainers for general use, since I don't want to risk any of the above unless I am engaged in that specific activity. And what I really want now is a pair of light hikers - right now the Avia crosstrainers go hiking, which is comfy but probably not ideal.

The only good part is that it takes the shoes a while to wear out since I rotate them so much. Please tell me someone else has this "problem"!

Lindsay
Old 08-11-02, 06:58 AM  
cyana

Lindsay - your post was near and dear to my heart. The DH calls me "the Imelda Marcos of sports shoes"! I rationalize (isn't that a trait possessed by all vidiots ) my acquisitions by recalling that I've had knee problems for years, and I have had P.F. in the past (don't want to do that again!), and good shoes are important to the health of my lower body. :rolleyes:

Fortunately, my shoe collection isn't quite as extensive as the fitness video/DVD collection, as I'd qualify for the 100+ club also!

Alta - good explanation on the shoes. The Lady Foot Locker staff in my area has always been well-versed in "shoe-ology". I used to look forward to the shoe articles in "Walking" magazine (which I miss, since it's no longer published).

Lenore - I've found Saucony and NB to be my favorite walkers. NB's are available in widths, and Saucony shoes tend to fit the female foot very well. I see you're a fellow Alchemy wearer - I really like mine.

I'm thinking that I could use some new walkers.......

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
Old 08-18-02, 02:07 AM  
samantha607

Alta, Thanks for explaining how the shoe types are so different. It was very helpful!!
Old 08-18-02, 10:18 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Lenore, I think you should get walking shoes, for all the above-mentioned reasons and also because when you put them on, it will get you in the walking mood (I find that whatever shoes I put on puts me in the appropriate mood; tennis, walking, running, etc.) I found a pair of New Balance walking shoes that look like hiking shoes; they are khaki colored suede and are SOOOO comfortable that I ended up buying several pairs of them, and I wear one pair for taking walks and light jogs, but I also wear them EVERYWHERE as regular shoes! My sister (also a Californian), bought a pair too, because she thought they were so cool-looking and comfortable. I found a New Balance discount website. http://www.newbalancecloseouts.com/?src=gadx They are having some great sales on there! I can't believe they have the ones I bought (the 742 Country Walking shoes for $25! That's an amazing price!)

You are so lucky to be in California where the weather is always conducive to walking...and the scenery is so gorgeous. I often dream of moving there.