Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 12-28-23, 09:37 PM  
gladgirl

Yoga Question & Help

My head is spinning but I will try to make some sense….bear with me.
I am looking for a beginner yoga workout that focuses on body weight training.
Just as traditional training has push ups, pull ups, lunges and squats, etc is there something similar in yoga? A particular dvd or YouTube video that focuses on the “toning” (don’t judge me for using THAT word ), aspect that flows and is beginner friendly?
Old 12-28-23, 10:24 PM  
laurajhawk

This is the one that came to my mind: https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/Pow...e-p/2269-p.htm

I will say that a lot of VFers prefer to avoid sun salutations, and the strength-oriented yoga I’m familiar with- power yoga or vinyasa yoga- is based around them. Once you master the basics, there is a lot of variety in power/vinyasa yoga, of course. (“Power yoga”, although a somewhat outdated term, basically refers to flowing yoga aka vinyasa that is strength oriented.)

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
Old 12-28-23, 10:41 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladgirl View Post
I am looking for a beginner yoga workout that focuses on body weight training.
what yoga have you tried so far?

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 12-29-23, 10:38 AM  
gladgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
what yoga have you tried so far?
I was talking with a friend who asked me about strength focused yoga. I know very little about yoga other than what I do for my back scoliosis.
Old 12-29-23, 10:48 AM  
gladgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
This is the one that came to my mind: https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/Pow...e-p/2269-p.htm

I will say that a lot of VFers prefer to avoid sun salutations, and the strength-oriented yoga I’m familiar with- power yoga or vinyasa yoga- is based around them. Once you master the basics, there is a lot of variety in power/vinyasa yoga, of course. (“Power yoga”, although a somewhat outdated term, basically refers to flowing yoga aka vinyasa that is strength oriented.)
Thank you.
Old 12-29-23, 01:22 PM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Gladgirl- I would recommend Power Yoga Plus by Denise Austin. Don’t let the Power Yoga title give you pause as this is a fine for a beginner and there are no true sun salutations only 2 modified ones. It is a strength/toning and stretch yoga routine. It’s my absolute favorite yoga workout and in my top 5 of all time. You might need to use a strap/towel/t-shirt/belt on one section for the leg stretches. It’s a 20 minute workout. There is an additional 20 minute pilates workout that is more intermediate included as well. Once you get this down, you can move on to her other yoga workouts: Yoga Buns, Yoga Body Burn, and Fat Blasting Yoga. They are all strength based. In fact, I use her workouts as my strength training instead of weights. You might also want to look into her Yoga Booty Lift (yoga/barre/toning fusion ), Fit in a Flash (warm up, cardio, Bodyweight toning 1, and cool down only takes 28 minutes) and Shape Up and Shed Pounds (which has a 30 minute beginner cardio and a 20 minute Bodyweight workout). She infuses yoga in most of her workouts and these are all toning influenced yoga infused Bodyweight workouts. Hope that helps! Good luck!!
“My life wouldn't be easier if I were thin. My life would be easier if this culture wasn't obsessed with oppressing me because I'm fat. The solution to a problem like bigotry is not to do everything in our power to accommodate the bigotry. It is to get rid of the bigotry.”- Virgie Tovar
Old 12-29-23, 06:29 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladgirl View Post
I was talking with a friend who asked me about strength focused yoga. I know very little about yoga other than what I do for my back scoliosis.
thanks - below is a list and link to basic yoga postures and the muscles worked. there are "zillions" of other yoga postures that branch off of these and the list below is not comprehensive, but something to get an idea of strength-based yoga postures (vs. stretching-type moves).

Note that you're not doing reps when performing these "strength" postures, however the more advanced sequences tend to string a bunch of moves together that could challenge you aerobically (i.e., raise your HR).

Instead, you're holding the posture for several "breaths" like maybe 5, then you change to the next posture.

The list below is not a sequence, however, yoga workouts will use a combination of the poses and others not listed and arrange the sequence to create a "vinyasa" or "flow" as others posted about.

Yoga For Strength: 9 Strength-Building Poses

1. Planks, left, right, forward - abs, biceps, triceps, shoulders
2. Chaturanga - you're in pushup position - arms, shoulders, back, abs
3. Cobra - back
4. Boat pose -abs
5. Warrior II - left thigh, right thigh, biceps, delts
6. Half moon pose - legs, abs
7. Tree pose - legs, back, core
8. Chair pose - thighs
a. Awkward chair pose - thighs, arms, shoulders, upper back, upper arm
9. Handstand - arms, core

The earlier recommendation for Rodney Yee's 30 minute power yoga Strength also comes from a 3-workout combo on one DVD that includes Stamina and Flexibility. "Strength" was one of my first Rodney tapes, and later I got the DVD version with the other 2 workouts on it. He doesn't provide too many form pointers. "Stamina" from that series is the easier of the 3 and clocks in at 20 min.

Instructors who give good form pointers:
Sara Ivanhoe - Crunch Joy of Yoga and Crunch Fat Burning Yoga
Yoga Zone's Power Yoga for Strength & Endurance - Lisa Bennett leading, 45 minutes
Yoga Zone Introduction to Power Yoga two twenty minute sessions on them, one led by Al Bingham, the other by Lisa Bennett

Baron Baptiste -

Journey into Power Level 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAlYeNp81TY

20 minute Power Yoga - Lululemon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHf-_nczPK8

good luck!

EDITED TO ADD:
Karen Voight - Yoga Sculpt and Yoga Focus (separate DVDs)

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.

Last edited by bzar; 12-29-23 at 06:47 PM. Reason: edited - added Yoga Zone
Old 12-29-23, 07:01 PM  
gladgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
thanks - below is a list and link to basic yoga postures and the muscles worked. there are "zillions" of other yoga postures that branch off of these and the list below is not comprehensive, but something to get an idea of strength-based yoga postures (vs. stretching-type moves).

Note that you're not doing reps when performing these "strength" postures, however the more advanced sequences tend to string a bunch of moves together that could challenge you aerobically (i.e., raise your HR).

Instead, you're holding the posture for several "breaths" like maybe 5, then you change to the next posture.

The list below is not a sequence, however, yoga workouts will use a combination of the poses and others not listed and arrange the sequence to create a "vinyasa" or "flow" as others posted about.

Yoga For Strength: 9 Strength-Building Poses

1. Planks, left, right, forward - abs, biceps, triceps, shoulders
2. Chaturanga - you're in pushup position - arms, shoulders, back, abs
3. Cobra - back
4. Boat pose -abs
5. Warrior II - left thigh, right thigh, biceps, delts
6. Half moon pose - legs, abs
7. Tree pose - legs, back, core
8. Chair pose - thighs
a. Awkward chair pose - thighs, arms, shoulders, upper back, upper arm
9. Handstand - arms, core

The earlier recommendation for Rodney Yee's 30 minute power yoga Strength also comes from a 3-workout combo on one DVD that includes Stamina and Flexibility. "Strength" was one of my first Rodney tapes, and later I got the DVD version with the other 2 workouts on it. He doesn't provide too many form pointers. "Stamina" from that series is the easier of the 3 and clocks in at 20 min.

Instructors who give good form pointers:
Sara Ivanhoe - Crunch Joy of Yoga and Crunch Fat Burning Yoga
Yoga Zone's Power Yoga for Strength & Endurance - Lisa Bennett leading, 45 minutes
Yoga Zone Introduction to Power Yoga two twenty minute sessions on them, one led by Al Bingham, the other by Lisa Bennett

Baron Baptiste -

Journey into Power Level 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAlYeNp81TY

20 minute Power Yoga - Lululemon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHf-_nczPK8

good luck!
Thank you. I learned a lot. Am passing this along and hoping she connects to something.
Old 12-29-23, 08:50 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Dean Pohlman of Man Flow Yoga has DVDs on Amazon, but he's also available on YouTube so you can try him out (Man Flow Yoga.) His yoga is strength based geared for men (and some women) who tend to be beginners and aren't very flexible. He incorporates PT exercises, body weight exercises, mobility, flexibility all into one. He very rarely does Sun Salutations and there is not an Eastern religion or spiritual focus. I love his yoga and have been working through many of his practices for just over six months. He's physical, athletic but not fast paced. He's great for seniors, too! Just be aware he frequently is filmed without a shirt on many of his YouTube workouts. Dean is also very detailed and precise with his instruction giving great form pointers and how you should be feeling in the pose! In fact, he talks a lot but I find his voice soothing. Very beginner friendly. And, easy on the eyes!

May Focus:
Miranda Esmonde-White Classical Stretch Season 9 (All Standing)
Sahra Esmonde-White Body Sculpting Series, Toning for Beginners, Ultimate Stretch workouts

Old 12-29-23, 10:05 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini2874 View Post
Gladgirl- I would recommend Power Yoga Plus by Denise Austin. Don’t let the Power Yoga title give you pause as this is a fine for a beginner and there are no true sun salutations only 2 modified ones. It is a strength/toning and stretch yoga routine. It’s my absolute favorite yoga workout and in my top 5 of all time. You might need to use a strap/towel/t-shirt/belt on one section for the leg stretches. It’s a 20 minute workout. There is an additional 20 minute pilates workout that is more intermediate included as well. Once you get this down, you can move on to her other yoga workouts: Yoga Buns, Yoga Body Burn, and Fat Blasting Yoga. They are all strength based. In fact, I use her workouts as my strength training instead of weights. You might also want to look into her Yoga Booty Lift (yoga/barre/toning fusion ), Fit in a Flash (warm up, cardio, Bodyweight toning 1, and cool down only takes 28 minutes) and Shape Up and Shed Pounds (which has a 30 minute beginner cardio and a 20 minute Bodyweight workout). She infuses yoga in most of her workouts and these are all toning influenced yoga infused Bodyweight workouts. Hope that helps! Good luck!!
Would that be this Power Yoga workout by Denise Austin on YouTube? It doesn't say "Plus"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1GmobPcJyc

And the Pilates?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu-OlrMq85s

Tags
beginner yoga, dean pohlman, yoga