Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-11, 11:13 AM  
Vee

What is so special about a manduka mat?

I have read reviews that claim it is the best ever yoga mat.

From those that have used it, do you think it lives up to the hype and what exactly makes it better?

Has anyone used a manduka and found something else that is quite as good, but cheaper?
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-11, 11:19 AM  
momofcha

I don't know that it's the best ever, but I do love mine. I had a cheap-o Gaiam from Target and this is much thicker, more sticky, longer and wider and a better mat than that. But that's all I have to compare it to.

I got mine at Amazon. Worth the money to me.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-11, 11:38 AM  
Stephanie_B

I've had Reebok, Gaiam, and Jade mats....none of them beat the Manduka. I have the Prolite and the PRO. They don't SMELL for one thing like the toxic fumes I got from the Jade Harmony I bought in August which STILL REEKS no matter how many times I have cleaned it, it also looks filthy (I used it a few times but it looks like someone just walks on it all the time in mud, NOTHING gets this thing clean), and it's too thin for me. The Gaiam's and Reebok's always felt way less sticky and fell apart fast..like 1-2 years.

I have a Manduka Prolite which is about 7 years old and except for it being bleached out from the benzyl peroxide I use on my face, the thing looks brand new. My PRO I got in September to have an extra mat (the Jade Harmony WAS supposed to be that but I really can't believe how much this thing still reeks and I've soaked it several times--four now) and obviously it still looks new. I didn't have the problem with "breaking it in" as far as stickiness, but I think I had to use the Prolite a few times (probably a month?) before it felt sticky.

Now as good luck would have it I won a Manduka John Friend ProLite mat about a month after purchasing the PRO and I like it, it is thinner than the PRO (because it weighs a lot less) and I really *do* like the extra width. If they come out with a PRO with the width, I'll buy it.

My girlfriend swears by Lululemon's "The Mat" and has a Manduka EKO Prolite which she hates, the smell is toxic to her (I have not smelled it, but she's smelled the Harmony and says it's the same smell) and rarely uses it...so that's another option.

ETA: The Jade one also bunches up ALL the time, I never had that problem with the Gaiam, Reebok, or Manduka mats either.

If you can't do it today what makes you think you will do it tomorrow?

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Stephanie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-11, 01:32 PM  
Breezy Trousers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie_B View Post
I've had Reebok, Gaiam, and Jade mats....none of them beat the Manduka. I have the Prolite and the PRO. They don't SMELL for one thing like the toxic fumes I got from the Jade Harmony I bought in August which STILL REEKS no matter how many times I have cleaned it, it also looks filthy (I used it a few times but it looks like someone just walks on it all the time in mud, NOTHING gets this thing clean), and it's too thin for me. The Gaiam's and Reebok's always felt way less sticky and fell apart fast..like 1-2 years.

I have a Manduka Prolite which is about 7 years old and except for it being bleached out from the benzyl peroxide I use on my face, the thing looks brand new. My PRO I got in September to have an extra mat (the Jade Harmony WAS supposed to be that but I really can't believe how much this thing still reeks and I've soaked it several times--four now) and obviously it still looks new. I didn't have the problem with "breaking it in" as far as stickiness, but I think I had to use the Prolite a few times (probably a month?) before it felt sticky.

Now as good luck would have it I won a Manduka John Friend ProLite mat about a month after purchasing the PRO and I like it, it is thinner than the PRO (because it weighs a lot less) and I really *do* like the extra width. If they come out with a PRO with the width, I'll buy it.

My girlfriend swears by Lululemon's "The Mat" and has a Manduka EKO Prolite which she hates, the smell is toxic to her (I have not smelled it, but she's smelled the Harmony and says it's the same smell) and rarely uses it...so that's another option.

ETA: The Jade one also bunches up ALL the time, I never had that problem with the Gaiam, Reebok, or Manduka mats either.
Timely thread! I'm interested in getting a Manduka in 2012....

Does the ProLite have more cushion than the average yoga mat? I know the Pro does.

Is the Pro truly bothersome to carry to & from yoga class? (I'm barely 5'2" but I do swing heavy kettlebells -- though not as heavy as Debbie Stout, apparently! ha!)

I'm mostly interested in more cushion, not width. Is the Pro the best bet?
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-11, 01:42 PM  
Stephanie_B

Hi Breezy,

In my opinion the Manduka ProLite IS more cushioning than the Gaiam ones I have had, the Reebok one (which I doubt they make anymore) and the Jade Harmony. I can compare because I still have the Reebok and the Harmony, and I'm the weird lady that feels up the yoga mats at Target.

*I* don't find the Pro to be "heavy." It is "heavier" than a regular yoga mat, but it is 4 pounds (Prolite) compared to 7 pounds (71 inch Pro mat) so it is a "big" difference as far as percentage wise. I don't think most people would have a problem going to and from class (I don't) but if you were like using public transport or walking I can see that 3 pounds making a difference.

HTH.

If you can't do it today what makes you think you will do it tomorrow?

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Stephanie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-11, 01:47 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I will again rave about the Manduka 'knockoff' I purchased, the Tapas Performance mat from Hugger Mugger. It's longer, wider, thicker, denser and heavy. Also solid black like the Manduka. But costs around $50 instead of $80-90.

It's similar enough that it used to be called the Mandara... uh, see why they had to rename it, lol.

Last edited by Lucky Star; 12-07-11 at 08:22 PM. Reason: corrected spelling!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-11, 01:50 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I have a Manduka eKo Lite, so it's not the Manduka Black that people rave about.

However, I think that what people like about the Manduka is that it provides thick cushioning without giving the feeling that you are sinking into the mat as some less expensive products do.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-11, 02:24 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I have one of the odd Mandukas that is not so good. It suffers from slippage problems and it is very hard to keep clean. No matter how many times I scrub it with salt, vinegar, whatever - it is just slimey mat. I can't wash it with anything soapy because if I get sweaty during a yoga workout I'll start slipping and bubbles will literally come out of it! Mine is the forerunner to the Pro Lite - it is purple, and used to be called the Travel Lite. I like the cushioning and that's about it.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-11, 02:27 PM  
Rachael1216

I've tried just about every yoga mat out there but here is my input regarding the two top contenders, Jade and Manduka. Jade is great because their mats are biodegradable, offers very good cushioning and very, very sticky. I found my Jade mat to be almost too sticky but that may just be me... I LOVE my Manduka Black mat! I love that it's wide, sticky but not so much so that I cannot roll over my toes and offers good cushioning for my knees. I also have a ProLite which is nice but it is a little thinner and narrower (maybe shorter as well, but I can't remember) but I prefer the space I can play on with the Pro mat. I think its definitely worth the price as it lasts forever.

I purchased mine on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Manduka-BlackM...3285719&sr=8-1 It's a little bit cheaper.
Rachael1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-11, 03:29 PM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee View Post
I have read reviews that claim it is the best ever yoga mat.

From those that have used it, do you think it lives up to the hype and what exactly makes it better?
Yes, it lives up to the hype. I have the black and the lite and both of them are years old but still look brand new. Worth every penny.