Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 11-11-10, 04:21 PM  
kali1

Iron Woody Assisted Pullup bands - Which one to buy?

I'm wanting to purchase the Iron Woody Assisted Pullup bands.

I am considering purchasing one set of pairs instead of the package deals but I'm confused which one to purchase. I'm looking at the #5 Large Bands , #6 X-Large Bands or the #7 Monster Bands. Would it be better to buy the package deal instead of the pairs? Please help wise ones
Old 11-11-10, 05:00 PM  
Sung Tse

Quote:
Originally Posted by kali1 View Post
I'm wanting to purchase the Iron Woody Assisted Pullup bands.

I am considering purchasing one set of pairs instead of the package deals but I'm confused which one to purchase. I'm looking at the #5 Large Bands , #6 X-Large Bands or the #7 Monster Bands. Would it be better to buy the package deal instead of the pairs? Please help wise ones
If you want these to assist with pull ups, you don't need a pair.

I got the first set on the order form - the $67.50 one since I wanted my 11 and 13 year old to use them as well. We're all using the middle one right now. They're awesome!

You can also double them up for added assistance.
Old 11-13-10, 09:52 AM  
beatchica

I have had my Iron Woody bands for about 4 years now.

I bought a pair of these.
Length: 41 inches
Width: 2.5 mm (1/2 the thickness of a Mini Band)
Resistance: 2 to 15 lbs.
Pair of #0 Pilates Bands

I use one of them for pull-ups and I will also loop the pair together and use it for adding resistance to my indoor walking by attaching one end to a door anchor the other around my waist. Like the video below.
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/666072...s_a_great_tip/

I find having the pair handy and I have really put them through the ringer and they are still fine.
Old 11-13-10, 04:08 PM  
kali1

so you don't need the thicker/heaver bands to do assisted pullups then like the large on up?
Old 11-13-10, 04:55 PM  
Kyra

Depends on you, really - how much assistance you need. I got a build your own set from a guy on eBay. I have a set of singles, #1 - #4 because I really wasn't sure where to start, and IW doesn't really give you much guidance in that department - I think there are too many variables involved. Turned out I could start with the #2 and now use the #1. (I can do short sets on my own, but need assistance for longer sets.) So if you're just starting out, you might want to go with heavier bands and work down to lighter, and if you're already doing a couple or close to on your own, you might not need as much band to start.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Old 11-13-10, 09:00 PM  
kali1

Thanks Kyra! So the heavier bands give you more assistance whereas the lighter bands give less. That's good to know!
Old 11-14-10, 08:50 AM  
beatchica

Also how far you stretch the bands dictates how much assistance they give you as well. When I first started I used light bands fully stretched. Plus the stretching along with how many bands you use too will either provide less or more assistance as well. So as you can see there are many ways to get a large amount of assistance from a light set of bands.

For example, if you loop a single band over the chin-up bar and you stand in the band with both feet (stretching it full length) this gives you a tremendous amount of assisted lift vs. just putting both knees in or even one knees in the band which provides less assistance since the band is stretched less.

Using the stretching method you can easily use one set of lighter bands to work on your pull-up progressions.
Example:
Weeks 1-3 Use one band stretched fully with both feet in.
Weeks 3-5: Use two bands with both knees in.
Weeks 5-6: Use one band with one knee in.

I feel that the IW bands are tough, so I personally wouldn't purchase any other band as the IW bands have stood up to all sorts of abuse I have given them for the past 4 years.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-14-10, 03:37 PM  
kali1

TYTY!! This helps me out a lot!!

Tags
assisted pullups, iron woody bands, pull-up bands