Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 11-06-13, 06:07 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

A plea to ask people to use tags, pretty, pretty please.

My exercise all day has been climbing on my soapbox. VF's turn now.

Aren't you glad you don't know me IRL.

Anyway, VF has a lovely and useful tag system. Tags really help pinpoint searches. You can do a tag search on three-letter words. Tags are what make this country great (too much?).

Tags are descriptors of the thread's content.

Tags can be added a number of ways.

If you are the thread originator (or OP), then right below the box where you write your opening post, there is a box marked "tags."

Just put up to five tags in that box.

Now, if you are a VF supporter, you can place tags on any post by anybody. Just
go to the last post in the thread and at the bottom of the page on the right side it says "Edit Tags." You can't really edit them, but you can add a tag that will help in your future searches

No matter who you are, you can only apply five tags. You can delete and retag if a thread goes off topic (which never happens here ).

Now, the same rules you learned in kindergarten apply to tags. Don't say anything mean or demeaning. Don't go to somebody else's "I lurve this instructor so much" thread and tag it with "useless waste of good shoe rubber."
Even if you would say it to their face, think real hard about if you want to make it a tag.

Make them meaningful and on point.

I am sure I didn't get all the subtleties right, but then subtle is not a tag that could be applied to me.

Moving soapbox to other locations now. Thanks for your time.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
Old 11-06-13, 07:54 PM  
Becky

Paideiamom,

You forgot to add a tag to your post.

But seriously, thank you for this helpful reminder. I'm guilty myself of not tagging my posts.

ETA: You beat me to it!

The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows . ~ Buddha
Old 11-06-13, 08:40 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Actually, Becky, it says "tags" under the tags line.

It is there, believe me. First thing I did.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
Old 11-06-13, 08:51 PM  
beth22

I don't understand how tags work on this forum. I don't ever see them. I also wouldn't know how to tag any posts that I'm not the OP on. Can you tag posts you're not the OP on but have responded to? I've never used them because I don't "get" them.
Old 11-06-13, 09:12 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth22 View Post
I don't understand how tags work on this forum. I don't ever see them. I also wouldn't know how to tag any posts that I'm not the OP on. Can you tag posts you're not the OP on but have responded to? I've never used them because I don't "get" them.
If you are a VF supporter, you can tag any post.

If you aren't a supporter, then you can only tag what you start.

Tags show up on the thread after the last post in the thread.

They are on the bottom left. The ability to edit the tags is on the bottom right.

To use tags to search (which is what they are for), click on "Search." You will see a space to type something in to search for. That just searches for the word you type in.
To use tag search, go below that box to where it says "Tag Search." Click on that. It brings up another page for tag search. Type in the tag you want to search for and it will search for that tag.

In the regular search, short words (or acronyms) can't be found. In the tag search, that is not an issue. You can search for "abs," or "BB" or whatever, as long as a tag has been made for it.

Much less frustrating than the regular search function. You also get fewer hits than the normal search. If it is a tag, it means it is an important part of the post, not just a throwaway word that happens to be in a huge thread somewhere.

Words matter.

Old 11-06-13, 09:40 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I will second your request! Believe me, I am constantly tagging other people's posts. I become annoyed when 1) I have trouble searching for something because my search terms are too "common" or too "short", so I'll try the tag search, and then 2) I can't find anything under the tag search because people haven't tagged their threads!

P.S.--I added several more tags to this thread.
P.P.S--While we are making requests, how about writing some reviews, too?

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
Old 11-06-13, 09:55 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Good reminder! I add tags all the time and always search for posts by them.
I am guilty of not contributing reviews, though. I'll try harder.
Old 11-06-13, 10:28 PM  
yahoo205

Yes. I love the tag system. It is so much easier.
Old 11-06-13, 10:33 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I had no idea that these tags even existed......

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
Old 11-07-13, 01:48 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

yes, ITA about tags. especially when the search term you want to use is less than 4 characters long, and this includes abbreviations and initials like JNL, BBL, TA, SS, P90, S90, or HHA.

to round up tags for Hip Hop Abs, or HHA, i did surreptitious searching by using the instructor's name or unique words in the titles of the individual workouts. otherwise, it was virtually impossible to find the threads you want.

the search engine doesn't honor strings of words in quotation marks as 1 piece - it'll still break it up into its components. therefore "hip hop abs" will be rejected since it treats the individual words as search terms, but each would be under 4 characters long.

and adding an asterisk, as in hip*, would only result in words "greater than" hip, and NOT less than.

again, Thank You For Using Tags. We Love People Who Use Tags.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.

Tags
forum feature, forum tip, search, tag, tag search, tags