Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear > Shoes/Equipment/Gear FAQ's
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 06-10-02, 05:51 PM  
fritzi

Does the size of the ball, ie Balance Ball, really matter?

I am 5' 3" and I just bought a 65 cm ball for ab work and other workouts. However I found online that shorter people should use the 55 cm ball. If you are short and use the 65 cm, do you like it, or wish you had a smaller ball? Anyone who can help with this question please post your advice. I haven't pumped the ball up, so I can return it if I need to.

TIA!
-Amy
Old 06-10-02, 06:24 PM  
martonia

Hi Amy,

I'm 5'2", and have a Sissel 55cm ABS ball. I've been using this with Cathy Smith's "Time Saver Shaper Ball Workout". Although this ball is the size recommended by the chiropractor, I find that it is a little too big for me in one or two parts of the tape. Since I'm unable to put my knees and hands on the floor at the same time, I can only do a couple of exercises in the advanced position, which isn't always comfortable for me. Mostly, though, the ball works fine. Maybe it would help to use yoga blocks or other props in the places where I need to touch the floor -- hey, you got me thinking! Thanks! M.

Old 06-10-02, 06:30 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

I'm short (5'2") and have both a 55cm ball and a 65 cm ball. And yes I'm a nut. I got the smaller one first. The size was recommended by a trainer that I had a fitness assessment with. My original justification for buying the larger one was that my husband uses it too and he's tall so he needs a bigger ball. The truth is that I just wanted a bigger one because some things just work better with one size or the other. The bigger one works better for sitting at the computer. The smaller one works better for ab work (for me). The bigger one works better for any tapes where you have to bounce on the ball. The smaller one works better for supported back bends. Of course, this is just my opinion. YMMV

The good news is that you can just inflate the bigger ball a little less and it should work great for you.
Old 06-10-02, 06:33 PM  
candi972

I'm 5'2" also and when I purchased my ball the smallest that I could find was the 65cm ball. My girlfriend also purchased a 65cm ball and she is 5'3". According the balance ball video's I don't think that a 65cm ball is really too big for a person who is less the 5'4". The key is that your thighs are parallel to the floor when you are seated on the ball. When I sit on my ball my thighs are parallel to the floor.
Old 06-11-02, 09:30 AM  
fritzi

Thanks for your answers!

I guess I was hoping that others my size would tell me they enjoyed the 65 cm ball. I appreciate your help. I will give the ball a try. I only have a few workouts for it, but I love the options it gives me for stretching and adding some fun. Thanks!
Amy
Old 06-11-02, 10:29 AM  
*pet*art*girl*
VF Supporter

agreeing with Loretta

I have both and I'm 5'4". I got the 65 first and found that as I progressed with the ball, for the exercises I was using it for (everything but cardio), the smaller ball would be more effective for me. The larger ball was great as a starter ball, though, as it is easier to balance on the larger ball so it's a good primer. I use the smaller one now for everything except with one vid I have I drag out the larger ball beacuse the 55 is just too short for it (lots of bouncing). The vid is Zone Big Ball Fat Burning Workout. It does seem kind of silly to me to hold on to such a thing for the sake of one video, but I guess I just like to have options!!!

Kathy

“Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion; you must first set yourself on fire.”
- Reggie Leach

“A big shot is a little shot that kept shooting” - Unknown
"I caught myself cheating! Shame on me!" - Cathe
Old 09-05-03, 07:49 AM  
Faith

I'm 4'10-- ball size matters!

I'm 4'10.5", and I got the 65mm ball first. Boy did I roll around on that thing! It was a lot of fun, but there were exercises I couldn't do properly because I can't put my feet flat on the ground. I have to sit with my feet on their tippy toes to balance-- but it's great as a desk chair. I find I have to use more ab muscles to keep my balance on the larger ball. Now I have a 55mm ball as well, with those little spiky massage nodules. (And no-- they do not provide massaging action. It's more like prickly pear action!") The smaller size means that I can do certain moves with proper form, because I can put my feet on the ground now. Also, I can just get my hands and feet on the ground when I bend over backwards. I can get more legitimate use out of the smaller ball-- but it's not as much fun! I liked that out of control like a 3 year old feeling I got from the larger ball! ha ha! However, it made doing certain exercises more dangerous.

Faith