Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-09, 09:27 PM  
Queenie

About to restart exercising during pregnancy

I'm looking for ideas on restarting my exercise routine after a several month break, I haven't been able to exercise since June. After a long infertility struggle, I had IVF in September and happily got pregnant. My doctor has OK'd restarting exercising once I hit 12 weeks (I'm currently 10 1/2 weeks) pending that ultrasound. Of course I'll wait for the final OK from the doctor, but I figured I'd better start looking into DVDs for pregnancy now....

I did some forum searches, but am unsure, I do want pregnancy-specific workouts (rather than modifying) as it's been a really long road with infertility and I don't want to risk anything. I'm looking for weights, cardio and yoga. I will need to start off slowly and keep it all low to moderate intensity and impact, any suggestions?
Queenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-09, 09:57 PM  
alisoncooks

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

When I was expecting #1, I bought Leisa Hart's Fit Mama workout and Crunch: Yoga Mama.

I remember liking both, though IIRC Yoga Mama had a good deal of "bonding" with your baby stuff... Fit Mama had a section on kegels and labor positions.

I don't know that I did either more than once or twice though...I mainly sat around and ate junk.

Collage has quite a few to offer..... Mary has a set by Lindsey Brin that is specific for each trimester...that may be interesting!
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-09, 10:01 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Congratulations!

With this last pregnancy I did a lot of the yoga dvd's out there, including Yoga Mama. I liked them all. I didn't like the cardio/weights workouts all that much, but did a lot of Leslie. I was at a different place than you--you might appreciate some of the prenatal specific workouts.

I guess I'd listen to your dr and your body. Take care of yourself and the baby you're growing!

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-09, 08:46 AM  
Queenie

Thank you, Alison and Jackie!

Yoga Mama is definitely one I'm considering, also Shiva's prenatal yoga.

I forgot to metion that I have a recumbant stationary bike, I think I'll use that for my cardio plus it's easier to monitor my heartrate. I'm going to check with my doctor about specifics for weights.... after all of the morning sickness, I'm almost scared to do any ab work

It's funny how eager I am to get back to working out, I thought being pregnant, I'd be wanting to sit around eating, like you said
Old 11-30-09, 09:46 AM  
LauraBella

No ideas from me (I'm single, no kids), but I DO want to say CONGRATS on your pregnancy! I am very happy for you (and just said a wee prayer for both you and baby).

Blessings,
L.
LauraBella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-09, 10:09 AM  
amery

I really liked Gabrielle Reece's fit pregnancy for weights, it was quick and effective and I loooooved 10 min solutions prenatal pilates. I felt so darn good after doing that one!
I used a lot of Leslie for cardio. I too had a recumbant bike but couldn't use it that last month or so because my legs kept bumping my belly!
amery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-09, 11:17 AM  
seabliss

I'm 37 weeks pregnant and couldn't exercise my first trimester either. I bought the Perfect Pregnancy Workout and really like that. There are modifications for beginners, intermediate, and advanced for some exercises. Even if you choose beginner, some of the exercises are challenging, especially as you get bigger. I highly recommend this workout. It is geared to prepare you for labor and to help your body remain strong for post-delivery. It moves along at a good pace without "dead" time, so you get a lot done in your 40 minutes (10 warm-up and cooldown, and 30 actual workout). It has some yoga and pilates-type moves as well as body weight and light or no weight (5 pounds or less) exercises.

I also have a recumbent bike and have used that for cardio.

Congratulations on your pregnancy! I wish you the best on this adventure.
Old 11-30-09, 11:26 AM  
bdandy3
VF Supporter

I have no workout advice or suggestions - just wanted to say: "hi, Stranger - and CONGRATULATIONS!"

You cannot be good or bad at yoga. Just do what you can and you will reap the rewards.
Alan Finger
bdandy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-09, 01:31 PM  
Queenie

Thank you all so much!

Laura, I appreciate the well wishes

Amery, thanks for the recommendation. I'm not big on pilates, I was thinking of the 10 min quick fix prenatal, did you try that? Too funny about your recumbant bike!

Seabliss, Perfect Pregnancy sounds good, where did you get it? I didn't see it at Collage. I honestly haven't felt up to exercising the past 10 weeks anyway with the constant nausea and fatigue, I can't wait for the next few weeks

Beth, good to hear from you! I haven't been visiting VF in a long, long time, I've missed it, thanks for your welcome

ETA: I am already getting Summer Sanders' Prenatal Workout, Yoga Mama and the Lamaze/Yoga Journal Yoga for your Pregnancy, what do you think?

Last edited by Queenie; 11-30-09 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Forgot to add
Old 11-30-09, 06:33 PM  
seabliss

You can get the Perfect Pregnancy workout on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Pregna...9623883&sr=8-1) There are lots of reviews there (and here at video fitness too).

A former Cirque du Soleil acrobat made the workout.

I don't know about the other ones you got. They sound good, though!