Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-09, 08:50 PM  
Bearybuff

Anyone Have Terminally Bloodshot Eyes?

My eyes are naturally bloodshot. When I wake up, there are faint red lines underneath the white. By 12:00 or early afternoon, they are bloodshot. I feel like a vampire. Does anyone else have this problem? I don't wear contacts and don't have allergies that I know of. I take a Sam's multi vitamin every morning and it has 250 mcg of Lutein.

Anyone have this problem and found a solution?

I work out for health and vanity. It depresses me that I'm working hard to achieve both, but people always tell me I look sick, tired, drunk, etc. Help?
Bearybuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-09, 08:59 PM  
SeptemberGirl

In my left eye, I have a horizontal vein (bloodshot look) and it has been very frustrating for me because it never goes away. I wear contacts and the only solution I've tried was visine.
SeptemberGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-09, 09:20 PM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

You might want to see an eye doctor in case it's an allergy or an eye condition. I've had very red eyes and extreme photosensitivity lately, but it's a result of a really bad allergy season. My optometrist ended up prescribing eye drops that take away most of the discomfort, but people still comment on my red eyes (even when I think they're relatively red-free ) I also bought some navy mascara because it's supposed to make the red less noticeable--of course, it flaked into my eye and made them even redder

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-09, 10:57 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Yes my eyes tend to be pretty red; I wear contacts. My eye doctor never seems to think it's anything, and taking Visine, etc just makes them worse and redder when the drops wear off. This problem started a number of years back, sometime after entering my 40s, so I didn't have it when I was young. I should mention my mother has it too, also worse since getting older, so maybe it's just hereditary in my case.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-09, 08:29 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Yes, my eyes tend to be red and irritated-looking, most of the time. I bring this up at every check up, but my ophtamologist says there is nothing wrong, they are just vascular. Eye drops used to help, but they don't do it for me anymore. I'm curious myself to see if there is a solution.
Usia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-09, 09:15 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

I live in a humid area. If I go out west, like Las Vegas, my eyes are usually boodshot from the time I get on the plane (going) until I get home. I have chronic dry eyes. This might be your problem. I also notice it when I have to run the heat in the house, because of course it takes the moisture out of the air. Almost anything that causes the air to be drier, will cause my eyes to be bloodshot. My eye dr. recommends Systane eye drops. They lubricate the eyes longer than most regular eyedrops for dry eyes. It would not hurt for you to get checked out by a dr. Dry eyes are acutally very common.

Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-09, 09:42 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I had a friend with bloodshot eyes and it turned out she had a form of herpes on her eyes. It could be a lot of things, even hypertension, I hope you'll get advice from an ophthalmologist. Good luck to you.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-09, 12:16 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

My eyes are usually red, but it's due to allergies and sinus problems.

Have you gotten tested for dry eye syndrome or allergies?
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-09, 12:39 PM  
Jeanne Marie

I don't know if you've ever seen anybody with what I call an "eye bleed", but it's when one of the blood vessels in the white of your eye bursts, and it looks horrendous. It makes an entire section of the white of your eye, blood red. It is not painful, and according to my eye doctor, not dangerous. He had no solutions for me other than, "you must just be prone to them". I was having these bleeds happen every few months. It was quite disturbing because although it didn't hurt, people were freaked out when they saw me because it looked so bad.

I did a little research and decided that I would take extra Vitamin C every day and hopefully that would increase the strength of the blood vessels in my eyes. It worked! I take a 1000 MG Vit C tablet every day, and haven't had any problems since I started.

Maybe this will work for you? I know what you're describing is a bit different than what I'm talking about, but it's worth trying! Good luck!
Old 11-28-09, 01:49 PM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Marie View Post
I don't know if you've ever seen anybody with what I call an "eye bleed", but it's when one of the blood vessels in the white of your eye bursts, and it looks horrendous. It makes an entire section of the white of your eye, blood red. It is not painful, and according to my eye doctor, not dangerous. He had no solutions for me other than, "you must just be prone to them". I was having these bleeds happen every few months. It was quite disturbing because although it didn't hurt, people were freaked out when they saw me because it looked so bad.
I get these too - in fact I have one right now.

Thanks for the tip about Vitamin C - it can't hurt.