Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 03-07-05, 07:09 AM  
SydneyH

Question Weighted Gloves

Is anybody here using weighted gloves for their kickboxing videos or Tae Bo? Wondering if they are worth the purchase?
Old 03-07-05, 08:40 AM  
SpiritYogi

Yes, yes, yes!!! I don't wear them while doing TaeBo (movements are too fast to wear them, IMO), but I wear them for all my other kickboxing workouts and they really increase the intensity.
Old 03-07-05, 09:49 AM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

I had them and sent them back. They made my hands sweat something awaful - they were SO hot!!! I think I'll just go back to holding the 1 pounds hand weights.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Old 03-07-05, 10:51 AM  
EllieE

I think the gloves look pretty cool, but I couldn't justify paying for weighted gloves, so I bought 1 and 1.5 pound walking weights at target for $4. They are small, soft (like holding beanbag stuff), fit in the palm of your hand (and I have small hands), and have a strap that velcros around the back of your hand. I love them!

Plus, if you want to increase your weights by increments, but don't have platemates (couldn't justify those, either), you can strap them backwards around your hand so the weight is on the back, and suddenly your 15 pound weights are 16 or 16.5 lbs.

Oh yeah, and just the extra pound adds a lot of intensity to your kickboxing workouts. I haven't even used the 1.5 lb weights yet.

If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to be a horrible warning.
Old 03-07-05, 11:20 AM  
Braves888

Quote:
so I bought 1 and 1.5 pound walking weights at target for $4. They are small, soft (like holding beanbag stuff), fit in the palm of your hand (and I have small hands), and have a strap that velcros around the back of your hand.
This is an excellent idea. Thanks! I also didn't want to spring for weighted gloves so I've been holding the little bar weights that are added to ankle weights (they also fit in the palm of your hand, and don't interfere with the fist you make for punching) but they're metal and get really sweaty after time. A soft weight with the velcro option sounds perfect!

Kristy
Old 03-07-05, 11:29 AM  
fanofladyvols

I have some 1# gloves I bought at Kmart pretty cheap and I love them! Definitely increase the intensity!

Linda

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
Old 03-07-05, 11:31 AM  
new2me

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieE
I think the gloves look pretty cool, but I couldn't justify paying for weighted gloves, so I bought 1 and 1.5 pound walking weights at target for $4. They are small, soft (like holding beanbag stuff), fit in the palm of your hand (and I have small hands), and have a strap that velcros around the back of your hand. I love them!
I LOVE these!!! I also bought the two pairs and have used them for several things, including walking, rebounding and kickboxing. They fit snuggly enough that I can actually open my hands while doing some things and they won't fall off (and I don't have to grip them tighlty either)

The sudden precious moments in life need to be recognized for the unique periods they are, not wasted by wishing for something else. Edith Schaeffer
Old 03-07-05, 02:30 PM  
EllieE

Donna,

You use walking weights for WALKING!!??!! You're so crazy!

But I agree, they are my favorite fitness toy(s) right now.

If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to be a horrible warning.
Old 03-07-05, 03:11 PM  
new2me

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieE
You use walking weights for WALKING!!??!! You're so crazy!
Yep, you know me...wild and crazy, lol!

The sudden precious moments in life need to be recognized for the unique periods they are, not wasted by wishing for something else. Edith Schaeffer
Old 03-07-05, 07:11 PM  
suegy3

It's funny that you're asking this because I just ordered a pair today! I did a few searches and knew that I needed something to up the intensity a bit. Holding small weights 1lb weights is just not an option for me. I can't be bothered! I have the money so why not spend it on myself!

Tags
walking with weights, weighted gloves