Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 12-03-01, 12:16 AM  
A Minor
VF Supporter

Sports bras for, um..the well endowed

Any suggestions for sports bras for D cups? I have one that I love, but I've had it so long the info on the tag has worn off and I can't remember which brand it is or what the model(?) is. As you can tell, I definitely need a new one. I'm interested mostly in the low-bounce feature, as well as good coverage (I'm not one to enjoy cleavage while working out. I'm married - that should just about explain everything.) I tend to sweat A LOT, too. I'd like to find one that I feel comfortable working out in public in without a tee shirt, but I don't know if that'll ever happen. Maybe one of those full torso ones, anyone have one they like?

thanks,
April
Old 12-03-01, 10:57 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Try Title 9 Sports!

This company stocks tons of bras for the well-endowed (and the not-so-well-endowed, too!). It is also owned and operated by women, so I like to give them my business. Here is the web address:

www.title9sports.com/

I like these folks a lot and have been buying from them for years.

Hope this helps.

Betsy
Old 12-03-01, 11:08 AM  
cathgpo
VF Supporter

Hi April!

I am going to check out Betsy's link, as well. But I have had success with the JogBra. It even works for me for high impact. I get it at Target, which is convenient because one time on vacation I had forgotten to bring mine along, and there are Targets everywhere!

I have several and really like them, but I do not wear them in public without a shirt. You could, but I don't. It isn't the most flattering look on me.

Catherine
Old 12-03-01, 12:30 PM  
lynnem3
VF Supporter

Champion works for me

Hi April,

After trying many different bras, the one that I find best for both coverage (nice high sides!) and support are Champion bras. I am a size D also, but I usually order a DD in the sports bra. I got mine from LL Bean and don't have the exact specifications, but I'm pretty sure it is the only Champion that they sell in that size. I also tried another brand from LL Bean, but found that it doesn't cover the sides of my chest nearly as well.
Old 12-03-01, 12:33 PM  
Celia M

Near and dear to my heart

I too am a D cup and absolutely insist on a no-bounce (or nearly no bounce) sports bra. So I've done a lot of trying on and testing on this.

I should also say that, in addition to the no-bounce criteria, I also don't care for bras that go on over your head. They are difficult to put on and take off, and tend to get stuck when they're sweaty. I'm not that good a contortionist.

The best bras I've found are the Champion Action Shape Sports Top. They fasten in back like a regular bra, and keep the bounce to almost nothing. They're also fairly cute, and come in black, white, grey, and sometimes you can find them in blue.

They carry them at Title 9 at their list price (around $38), but I'd suggest looking at either Hanes/Bali/Champion outlet, where they are always 25% off, or try your local department store (I know Macys carries them) - they're currently running a "buy 2, get 2 free" deal. I've also found them - on occasion - at Marshalls for $9.99.

My second choice for controlling bounce is to wear two bras. Sometimes you do what you gotta do.
Old 12-03-01, 02:33 PM  
A Minor
VF Supporter

Thanks, guys!

Celia - that is so funny! I thought I was the only one that doubled up on sports bras!

I think the one I have that I love, but don't remember what it is is a Champion - it fastens in the back with velco shoulder straps, sound familiar?

I'm going to check out the links you guys provided. Thanks again!

April
Old 12-03-01, 02:35 PM  
PamelaP

Junonia

Junonia has a pretty complete line of sports bras for "us full figured gals." (I hope I'm not the only one old enough to remember those Jane Russell 18-Hour Bra commercials in the '70s.) Their web site is www.junonia.com.
Old 12-03-01, 03:33 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

PamelaP

I just wanted to say that I'm sorry for the loss of your beloved Chelsea. Your picture of her is beautiful!

This past June I was browsing through Nordstrom for a new bra when the sales lady whisked me into the dressing room and measured me. Seriously, she really didn't give me a chance to decline. It was actually the best thing that I let someone do for moi. After the birth of my daughter I just assumed that I went up a bra size and a cup size and had been buying a 38C. She measured me as a 34D and we settled for a 36D. She just couldn't convince me that I was that off. I could never figure out why my bra strap kept slipping off my left shoulder. Now that I'm wearing the right size, I no longer have that problem. So learn from my lesson and let a nice sales lady measure you.

Anyway, I swear by Nike's encapsulated sports bra. My bossoms do not bounce at all.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Old 12-03-01, 08:03 PM  
Celia M

April

Yes, the Champion Action Shape Top has the velcro strap adjustments, so maybe it is the same one. I gotta say, I swear by 'em. The only thing that would make them better is if the outer layer came in a coolmax or wicking type fabric. That would make them perfect!
Old 12-05-01, 03:17 PM  
Karen K
VF Supporter

Another Title 9 vote

I've been a D or DD since high school, so I know how tough it is finding good bras. I've bought a bunch through Title 9, and I've also found some good ones at Galyan's.

My favorites are all by Champion:

First, what Title 9 calls the "Sport Top For Larger Breasted Women Only."
http://www.title9sports.com/title9/Images/310305t.jpg I love, love, love this bra.

Then there's the Sportshape bra, which has been around forever. http://www.title9sports.com/title9/Images/310307t.jpg

And the Underwire Sport Top. This goes on over the head, but it's not too hard to get used to. http://www.title9sports.com/title9/Images/310325t.jpg

My advice is, go to a store where you can try on as many as possible, and don't be afraid to jump around. Also, try on a few different sizes, like both 34 and 36, or both D and DD cups. It is possible to find good bras that completely stop bouncing; it just takes some work.

Good luck!

Karen K.