Notices

Old 05-06-15, 07:54 PM  
Yelly

Yoga for Strength with Vytas Baskauskas

Looks like Vytas is coming out with something new! It's released on May 12

Yoga for Strength
Old 05-06-15, 08:05 PM  
daisyduke

Awesome. I really like vytas and udaya productions are amazing.
Old 05-06-15, 08:08 PM  
daisyduke

Just curious how you found this
Old 05-06-15, 08:18 PM  
Yelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyduke View Post
Just curious how you found this
I just searched for fitness videos on Amazon, and then clicked on "Coming Soon" on the left side options.
Old 05-06-15, 08:22 PM  
mtngoat

Rudy Mettia also has a new DVD coming out - Power Yoga with Rudy Mettia. It is available on amazon.ca - I don't see it on amazon.com. I'm sure it will show up there soon!

Lacey (trying to convince Brent to take a Pilates class): C'mon Brent, don't you want to unify your mind and body?
Brent: Nah. I'm not gonna put all my eggs in one basket.
Corner Gas Season1 Episode 3 "Pilates Twist"
Old 05-06-15, 08:43 PM  
daisyduke

Oh I never knew about the coming soon feature. Thanks!
Old 05-09-15, 01:25 PM  
Sissy B

These are both available at barnesandnoble.com too. I just pre-ordered both of them. I like Rudy and I have been wanting to try Vytas' DVDs. Plus I like the 40 minute length. I don't always have time for a long workout.
Old 05-09-15, 01:30 PM  
mtngoat

It looks like there may be a 3rd upcoming video from the Udaya family : Yoga for Power

Not 100% sure about this, but the listing has the same format as the other two DVDs, and Udaya has a teacher named Caley Alyssa.

Lacey (trying to convince Brent to take a Pilates class): C'mon Brent, don't you want to unify your mind and body?
Brent: Nah. I'm not gonna put all my eggs in one basket.
Corner Gas Season1 Episode 3 "Pilates Twist"
Old 05-15-15, 01:32 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Thumbs up Yoga with Strength--very good!

I did this video (Yoga for Strength) today. This is the first time I have done any practices by Vytas.

It isn't a vinyasa practice at all--no flowing from one pose to the next. There were bicycles (110 of them, because Vytas lost count), different flavors of planks (on your forearms and on your hands, and there are several where you lift one leg up off the floor and bring your knee into your chest), chair pose, some twists, navasana and then raising your butt and legs off the floor by engaging your core and pressing down with your hands on the floor (blocks are used under your hands to assist with this), crescent, warrior 3 pose, etc. I'm sure there were more poses than these; I didn't stop to take notes. The poses I mention aren't in the same order as on the video, except that the bicycles are the first thing you do. You don't have to be a pretzel to do this practice but some yoga experience would be very helpful, IMO.

Vytas is an excellent instructor--the best Udaya instructor I have come across. This practice really will build strength. It is not easy--Vytas says so himself, and he's right. He is with another person and Vytas also does all the postures while giving very good cues and form pointers. The DVD case says "60 minutes". I wasn't looking at a clock but it felt like this practice is maybe 45 minutes; the rest of the time is for an additional core practice that I haven't done yet.

If you are looking for a strength building yoga practice and you're tired of endless rounds of vinyasas, you might want to give this one a try.

There is no music, which doesn't bother me--I was too busy working. If there is a music option I didn't see one. For me at least, I prefer yoga practices that do not have music.

Apologies for the disjointedness of this post; I just wanted to get some of my impressions down.

I enjoyed this a lot and found that there is room to grow. Definitely recommended.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
Old 05-15-15, 07:36 PM  
daisyduke

Thanks for the review.... sounds typical of a vytas practice. Not a lot of vinyasas and a ton of strength. I might have to order this. And all of the other udaya ones.

Tags
vytas, vytas baskauskas, yoga