Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 08-23-13, 08:56 AM  
PhyllisG

Heavy vs Light Cathe's ideas

Cathe posted this in reply to a question about heavy and light weight training.

This is what she does:

Heavy for 3 weeks
Random workouts for 1 week--no further explanation was given
Light for 3 weeks
Random for 1 week

Thought you might be interested.
Old 08-23-13, 09:32 AM  
Sara1000

I am VERY interested - thanks! Just finishing my second week of Slow and Heavy - working out like this is not as fun as lighter, faster moving workouts so I will be ready for 'Random Workouts'! I'm thinking Tracie Long and FIRM.
Old 08-23-13, 09:43 AM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

I saw this, too and was inspired by it. I think I'm going to follow this plan until the end of the year and see how I like it. I interpreted "random" week (well what I would do for random week anyway) as circuit workouts. I'm going to follow this plan after I finish up STS Meso 2 in a few weeks. I'm going to do it this way:

3 weeks lighter:
Alternating Horizontal Conditioning, Kettlebell Kickboxing and/or Paul Katami's Kettlebell Konnect and Burn and Build, and Cathe lower body workouts with lighter weights like XTrain Legs and Butts and Guts (and probably her new ones, too)

Random week:
Go through my favorite circuit dvds: eg. Drill Max, Anni's Fierce Force, Paul's 4x4x2, Mike Donavanik's Extreme Metabolic Burn, etc.

3 weeks heavier:
heavier splits with Gym Styles and other Cathe heavy lifting dvds with 2 days of Hiit cardio

We'll see how it goes!
Old 08-23-13, 10:35 AM  
MKEMom

I found this really interesting; thank you! I can't stick to one kind of lifting for too long because I get really bored -- but that means I'm sort of all over the place and I don't stick to one style of lifting for long enough to see real progress. I think I can handle three weeks of one style over the other, and I like having the random week to stick my circuits into I think I might try this once I'm done with Drop Two Sizes.
Old 08-24-13, 09:29 AM  
gigi

This is an interesting idea.
Old 08-24-13, 01:06 PM  
vron30075
VF Supporter

Thank you so much for posting this! I pulled out Slow and Heavy b/c I want to build up muscle. Has Cathe come out with any heavy style workouts since "slow and heavy?" thanks
Old 08-24-13, 03:20 PM  
gigi

I really want to think this out and come up with a doable schedule, maybe allowing for 2 rest days a week with the option to workout on that "extra" rest day.
Old 08-24-13, 03:25 PM  
PrairieGem

Angela, when you come up with a rotation, will you share it with us?
Old 08-24-13, 03:33 PM  
gigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGem View Post
Angela, when you come up with a rotation, will you share it with us?
I will!
Old 08-25-13, 09:07 AM  
gigi

Here are some ideas. I left random blank b/c I think it should be totally random and what you want to do based on what you have and what your body needs that week. I honestly think this rotation idea can work for you and the cardio days can be whatever works for you in that given week. I think the idea is to do the same heavy/lighter workouts for 3 weeks to see progress and change?

Heavy for 3 weeks:
Day 1: S&H Chest & Back
Day 2: Half of Imax or HiiT (push hard)
Day 3: S&H Ti's & Bi's
Day 4: Rest
Day 5: S&H Legs & Shoulders
Day 6: TF or Patrick's Kickox or longer cardio of choice 45 to 60 minutes
Day 7: Rest

Random for 1 week.

Lighter for 3 weeks:
Day 1: XTrain Cardio Leg Blast
Day 2: XTrain Bi's & Tri's/core
Day 3: 45 to 60 minutes of cardio
Day 4: Rest
Day 5: XTrain Chest, Back, Shoulders
Day 6: Tabatacise or All Out Low Impact HiiT or HiiT or half of Imax (going all out)
Day 7: Rest

Random for 1 week

Ideas for each Heavy week: Burn Sets, Amy Bento's Slow & Heavy, Amy Bento's Drop Sets, STS, CLX (3 weeks of Burn, 1 week of random, 3 weeks of light, go back to CLX 3 weeks of Push, 1 week of random, 3 weeks of light, go back to CLX 3 weeks of Lean, etc)

Ideas for each Lighter week: Gym Styles, PUB/PLB, Push Pull, Supersets, Peak 10 Strength workouts

Random: You could do Yoga, CS, metobolic, a mix, Peak 10 Cardio Strength, Circuits, whatever your mind and body needs during the random week

There are SO many ways to make this work for you offering variety yet it offers some stability so you can see what results you can get from sticking with particular workouts for 3 weeks.

I don't know if I can commit yet, but this is definitely something I'd like to try at some point in the future.

Tags
cathe rotation, rotation, rotation ideas, rotations