Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 09-07-23, 08:14 PM  
bfit

Are we allowed to talk about losing weight here?

Are we allowed to talk about weight loss here? If not, I understand. I know this sounds ridiculous, but when I had a broken foot 2 1/2 years ago now I was not able to be very active for 4 months. I lost a lot of fitness, especially toning of the lower body so my pants didn't fit. I also gained 2 pounds. I have toned up again, and my clothes fit almost as well as before, but I cannot lose those 2 pounds no matter what I do. I feel like I'm getting nowhere with weight loss, and it's really frustrating. My doctor says my weight was OK before, and it's still OK now, but I just really want to be like I was before. I don't want to spend the rest of my life feeling like I'm not as fit as I used to be, but on the other hand, I don't want to spend my time worrying about 2 pounds either. Advice?
Old 09-08-23, 04:10 AM  
Terry

I’ve found that cutting back Calories a tiny bit and doing boot camp style workouts five hours per week work very slowly to take it off and keep it off. Taking off a pound of fat in a week tends to make my body scream at me to eat a bunch of carbs, so it’s that Tortoise/Hare thing where the Tortoise wins.

I cringe when the establishment tells people to eat 1200 Calories to lose a pound or two per week since that almost always backfires.

How I used to cut back on Calories: Eat four small meals spread from morning until afternoon with enough volume/fat/protein/fiber to feel OK satisfied but not pleasantly full and ready for a nap. Then go for meal 5 only if too hungry to sleep, but don’t let it be enough for OK satisfaction. Let it be just enough to make up for what you must have missed out on earlier in the day such that your appetite got out of control. Look forward to breakfast. Of course also make sure the quality of each meal doesn’t spike your blood glucose level up high which will then be followed by energy crash and/or carb cravings. Don’t try to avoid good fats due to their Calorie density as that ends up pushing you towards excess carbs.

How I cut back now: I switched to 16/8 Bulletproof Intermittent Fasting in the hopes it will help prevent senility. This increased my energy and cut my appetite so much that I have to focus on making sure I eat enough rather than focusing on not eating too much.
Old 09-08-23, 06:18 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I can gain or lose 2 pounds overnight just from what I ate that day! I personally wouldn't worry about it. Those 2 pounds have no bearing on your fitness, IMO.

And, no, the guidelines state we can't discuss diet other than in very general terms, but that's like breaking the rules when the rule setter doesn't seem to care anymore anyway. :-(
Old 09-08-23, 07:07 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post

And, no, the guidelines state we can't discuss diet other than in very general terms, but that's like breaking the rules when the rule setter doesn't seem to care anymore anyway. :-(
I was going to say that it seems like we can talk about whatever we want these days!

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
Old 09-08-23, 08:08 AM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

2 lbs!! I've gained 22lb since my son was diagnosed with cancer. Emotional eating I know.
I used to fast all the time and am getting my "mojo" back to drop that weight.

Terry: 16/8 Bulletproof Intermittent Fasting is what I do except it's usually 18/6 or 20/4.

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
Old 09-08-23, 08:17 AM  
Vantreesta

I injured myself in 2009 and couldn't workout for a while and dog walks were more of a shamble than a brisk walk but I didn't change my eating. I gained 15 lbs and have never lost it. Sadly I've added more on top of that the last few years. Yes, it affects how my clothes fit and if I let it, it affects how I feel when I look in the mirror, but I'm still able to be fit regardless. I'm not overweight but I'm more soft and rounded than I want to be. I don't mean to diminish how you're feeling, but 2 pounds won't impact your fitness unless you let it make you stop working out bc you're too upset about it. I hope you'll be able to let go of this worry and just enjoy life and exercise and food. Life really is too short to worry about some of the things we worry about!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 09-08-23, 08:20 AM  
bubbles76

I like the thought of intermittent fasting but I like to eat breakfast and am almost always hungry I think I kind of unintentionally fast as I eat breakfast around 8AM and dinner around 4PM and nothing else after that. Sort of got into that cycle when Tiny Bubble went to school and had a crazy lunch period that had him ravenous by 3PM. Had to have food ready for him as soon as he jumped off the bus lol!

But yea I wouldn't worry about two pounds. You can crap out two pounds overnight. I put 15 pounds on over Covid, but I must say I look better than I did. I think I was too thin in the face before, despite what the BMI says. I do have to cut back on sweets though

KateTT I am so very, very sorry to hear about your son's cancer diagnosis.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
Old 09-08-23, 08:21 AM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
I injured myself in 2009 and couldn't workout for a while and dog walks were more of a shamble than a brisk walk but I didn't change my eating. I gained 15 lbs and have never lost it. Sadly I've added more on top of that the last few years. Yes, it affects how my clothes fit and if I let it, it affects how I feel when I look in the mirror, but I'm still able to be fit regardless. I'm not overweight but I'm more soft and rounded than I want to be. I don't mean to diminish how you're feeling, but 2 pounds won't impact your fitness unless you let it make you stop working out bc you're too upset about it. I hope you'll be able to let go of this worry and just enjoy life and exercise and food. Life really is too short to worry about some of the things we worry about!
Beautifully said! Yes, nobody is trying to diminish how you feel. We just want you to know that two pounds is not an insurmountable goal nor should it let you feel bad about yourself or define yourself.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
Old 09-08-23, 09:36 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I think talking about specific weight loss plans is the big no no. I got in trouble once for talking about eating vegetarian, but that was way back in the day when we had lots of moderators. I also got in trouble for referencing the Body for Life program and WW.

A few years ago I was allowed to discuss foods and supplements (another big no no) that my naturopath recommended to fend off osteoporosis. Those osteo discussions were permitted. These days, who knows?
Old 09-08-23, 09:48 AM  
Gams

I can’t relate to a 2-pound problem because, like Joni, that’s what my weight fluctuates throughout the day. My pre-breakfast weight is 2 pounds lower than my post-dinner weight. I did want to say, though, that eating a Mediterranean diet has made all the difference in the world to me. I lost a lot of weight and no longer have my “old lady stiffness”. It feels so good. I think the biggest factor of the diet that’s made a difference is cutting back on added sugar. I used to be the kind of person that put a ton of sugar on my cereal and I love cake and cookies and doughnuts, etc. Now I mostly satisfy my sweet tooth with “nature’s sugar” - bananas and berries and pears and peaches, etc. I was talking to a friend about cutting sugar and she told me she already eats a low sugar diet. Then she added up grams of added sugar one day and discovered she had consumed 90 grams of added sugar. I said, “Great - only 4X the daily RDA!” LOL

Tags
body acceptance, body image, diet, weight loss, weightloss