Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 03-01-24, 11:06 AM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Cathe's latest functional training video

Makes you wonder if she will be using a balance disc (or two) in the upcoming workouts.

https://cathe.com/lift-move-restore-...ance-training/
Old 03-01-24, 11:19 AM  
bubbles76

Well, if she does use a balance disc I'll be breaking out my bosu . I'm not in the market for any new equipment unless it's to replace something that breaks.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
Old 03-01-24, 11:20 AM  
alisoncooks

Interesting! I’ve never in my life pre-ordered a Cathe set, but I am seriously considering it this time!
Old 03-01-24, 11:56 AM  
prettyinpink

Interesting, but not sure I want to do lunges on a disc like this.

IF it actually helps train balance so you are less likely to injure knees, then that’s good. But when the exercise itself seems like it could lead to injury, I wonder if there is any data that actually supports the idea that doing this sort of training improves injury risk. I know I’ve heard about research that shows increasing strength of certain muscles can prevent certain injuries, but does balancing on a disc have similar effects?

If the new workouts are fun I might pick up a couple of them. I’m still skeptical on the functional training emphasis, and it makes me curious to see what the thinking is on that now, as it was so in vogue years ago and now isn’t talked about very much.
Old 03-01-24, 01:11 PM  
Vantreesta

I didn't click the link, but I do believe using balance tools like a disc or BOSU help work the little stabilizer muscles that help improve balance.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 03-01-24, 01:59 PM  
prettyinpink

I’m talking about info like this from a few years ago. It seemed like bosu and functional training ideas were everywhere, and then a lot of people backed away from it because of questionable benefits with potential risks. I just don’t know if there’s newer info.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/bo...-bad-and-ugly/
Quote:
HERE'S WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW...
Poorly-designed studies have provided conflicting results from balance board training, showing some benefits to ankle health but an increased risk of knee injuries.
One well-designed study connected unstable surface training to an overall decrease in athletic performance.
It only takes a few sets of unstable training in each workout to add up to big improvements or big problems.
Unstable training is best used for upper body work, like sitting or lying on balls while training. For lower body work, keep your feet on solid ground and find other ways to introduce instability.
The article is much longer and there is more to found from both sides, probably. I did find a more recent article that has a similar message: don’t use unstable surface training for the lower body unless it’s part of your physical therapy program.

I’m sure it is great for the core, and most of us would agree that a good fitness program has some unilateral work which involves balance and core. I was mainly commenting on lunges or difficult plank variations on an unstable surface that she was doing in the video. I’m not sure which one of the workouts that is for, but my instinct is to stay away from that type of move. YMMV.
Old 03-01-24, 02:38 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
I’m talking about info like this from a few years ago. It seemed like bosu and functional training ideas were everywhere, and then a lot of people backed away from it because of questionable benefits with potential risks. I just don’t know if there’s newer info.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/bo...-bad-and-ugly/

The article is much longer and there is more to found from both sides, probably. I did find a more recent article that has a similar message: don’t use unstable surface training for the lower body unless it’s part of your physical therapy program.

I’m sure it is great for the core, and most of us would agree that a good fitness program has some unilateral work which involves balance and core. I was mainly commenting on lunges or difficult plank variations on an unstable surface that she was doing in the video. I’m not sure which one of the workouts that is for, but my instinct is to stay away from that type of move. YMMV.
I can see that. I have heard the same thing from some sources. I think they did make a good point about using for physical therapy purposes. I guess PT has been part of my life for so long I can hardly tell the difference anymore! I used to do squats on the flat side of my BOSU but I did become convinced that wasn't maybe the best plan with heavy weights. Sometimes it just doesn't pay to multitask!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 03-01-24, 11:44 PM  
bjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddj View Post
Makes you wonder if she will be using a balance disc (or two) in the upcoming workouts.

https://cathe.com/lift-move-restore-...ance-training/
She better not be!!!
I have no desire to fall down doing functional exercises

Tags
balance disc, cathe, cathe lmr, functional training, lift move restore