Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 04-10-24, 06:09 PM  
Camember

Where to start with The Firm

I didn't know about the existence of The Firm till I discovered VF (they're not particularly known in my country).

Everybody seems to love The Firm and as I read that they are effective, I'm interested (I'm decades late to become a fan, I know ) . I have read quite a few old threads regarding these workouts and I have dowloaded all workouts I have found in YouTube and Dailymotion. It is a pity that the ones in the mansion were not online, just a few of them, because I tend to love oldies and the newer ones don't look so charming, but it can be just a wrong first impression.

I'm going to read a lot of reviews, but I'm curious about recommendations, especially if they can suit my level. My level is low intermediate and I do not intend to get into advanced, I tend to love oldies, tend to modify, prefer "dry" instructors... I wil be scared to death with very advanced workouts and I cannot follow a complex choreography to save my life.

In my following post I'm going to enclose a list of all Firms that are available in YouTube or Dailymotion, just in case anybody was looking for a particular one.

In a nutshell, a VFer in low intermediate level wanting to try The Firm, what ones you recommend because they are good and which ones I should run away from?
Old 04-10-24, 06:11 PM  
Camember

List of Firms available either on YouTube or Dailymotion

The Firm: Volume 1: Body Sculpting Basics, Susan Harris, 1986

The Firm: Sculpted Buns, Hips, Thighs (aka Lie Down & Workout), Tracie Long, 1996

The Firm: Tough Tape 2, Tracie Long, Pam Meriwether, Heidi Tanner, Jen Carman, Taber Bruner, 1998

The Firm: Bust & Butt, Tamela Hastie, Carissa Foster, Dale Brabham, 1999

The Firm: Better Buns & Body (aka Better Buns), Jennifer Peluso, Jen Carman, Taber Bruner, 2000

The Firm: Lower Body Sculpt II, Libby Heath, 2002

The Firm: Super Body Sculpt, Stephanie Huckabee, 2002

The Firm: Cardio Sculpt Blaster, Lisa Kay, 2002

The Firm: Cardio Sculpt (BSS1), Allie Del Rio, 2002

The Firm: Body Sculpt (BSS1), Jen Carman, 2002

The Firm: Ab Sculpt (BSS1), Lisa Kay, 2002

The Firm: Total Sculpt plus Abs (BSS2), Jen Carman, 2003

The Firm: Complete Aerobics & Weight Training (BSS2), Emily Welsh

The Firm: Total Muscle Shaping (BSS3), Stephanie Huckabee, 2004

The Firm: Jiggle Free Arms (BSS4), Stephanie Huckabee, 2004

The Firm: Fat Blasting Cardio (BSS3), Lisa Kay, 2004

The Firm: Complete Body Sculpting (BSS3), Christa Riley, 2004

The Firm: Aerobic Body Shaping (BSS4), Allie Del Rio, 2004

The Firm: Ultimate Calorie Blaster (BSS4), Stephanie Huckabee, 2005

The Firm: Supercharged Sculpting (BSS4), Pam Meriwether, 2005

The Firm: Jiggle Free Abs (BSS4), Allie Del Rio, 2005

The Firm: Ultimate Fat Burning, Alison Davis, 2006

The Firm: Cardio Dance Slimdown, Allie Del Rio, 2006

The Firm: Hardcore Fusion, Allie Del Rio, 2007

The Firm: Cardio Inferno, Sue Mi Powell, 2007

The Firm: Burn & Shape (BSS5), Emily Welsh, 2007

The Firm: Hi Def Sculpt, Annie Lee, 2008

The Firm Express: Ignite, Emily Welsh, 2010
Old 04-10-24, 06:19 PM  
bubbles76

I think a good place to start would be the Basics, which can be modified up or down. Unfortunately, I don't know where to get those anymore. They aren't selling them on the Fitness Favorites website.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
Old 04-11-24, 01:41 AM  
Camember

I found Vol 1 on YouTube. I can start with it then. Thanks
Old 04-11-24, 04:22 AM  
Terry

I vote you start with the BSS1 workouts if you have some kind of step to use for the “Fanny Lifter”. IMO, Volume 1 is harder than these and Body Sculpt is better for strength.

If you do Volume 1, a friend and I doing that one together figured out how to survive the floor work: Laugh your way through it. 😅
Old 04-11-24, 05:54 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

If you have a substitute for the Fanny Lifter (14 inch step made in 2 sections: 6 inch and 8 inch) - I might be tempted to start with the BSS1 set:

The Firm: Cardio Sculpt (BSS1), Allie Del Rio, 2002

The Firm: Body Sculpt (BSS1), Jen Carman, 2002

The Firm: Ab Sculpt (BSS1), Lisa Kay, 2002

Those workouts are still relatively faithful to the original Firm style and are pretty good workouts.

The 30 Minute "Blaster" series are also good - I think some of these may be part of that set:

The Firm: Lower Body Sculpt II, Libby Heath, 2002

The Firm: Super Body Sculpt, Stephanie Huckabee, 2002

The Firm: Cardio Sculpt Blaster, Lisa Kay, 2002

I started with Volume 1 back in about 1990, and it's tough.

Carol
Old 04-11-24, 06:30 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Another vote to start with the BSS1 workouts! Have fun!
-Neita
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
Old 04-11-24, 07:09 AM  
Carol K

I started with Vol. 1 and at the time only Vol. 1 - 3 were in existence. But I think if I were starting now, I would start with newer workouts that just use weights. My favorites are Ultimate Fat Burning Workout, Bootcamp Maximum Calorie Burn, Total Body Time Crunch, Calorie Explosion and Dangerous Curves Ahead.
Old 04-11-24, 09:56 AM  
Karla25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camember View Post

In my following post I'm going to enclose a list of all Firms that are available in YouTube or Dailymotion, just in case anybody was looking for a particular one.

In a nutshell, a VFer in low intermediate level wanting to try The Firm, what ones you recommend because they are good and which ones I should run away from?
Thank you for posting this list. There are some that I would like to try as I am doing a Firm rotation this month.

I love the classic Firms. If you start with Vol. 1, I highly recommend that you don't use weights on the leg section the first time you try it I just did it this morning and it is one of my favorites
Old 04-11-24, 10:45 AM  
Leonana

I liked the BSS2 sculpting workout. It wasn’t too difficult for me. It uses a step and a sculpting stick. I just substituted a broom handle for the stick. Although I don’t know if it’s on YouTube.

Okay, I see it on your list! I missed it at first.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6cgufc

Tags
fanny lifter, firm, step, the firm, the step, transfirmer