Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Questions about using this Forum software > VF and Forum software FAQs
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 11-02-01, 03:10 PM  
WWWendy
Community Manager

FAQ: how to "refresh" to see newest messages

With our old board, many people would hit the Refresh button before marking conferences as read to make sure they didn't miss any messages posted while they were online reading the Forum.

To do that with this board, go back to the Forum entry page (click on the "Video Fitness Community" link near the top of the page) and click on "View New Posts" to get all messages posted since you logged on that you have not already seen. After reading those, click on the "Mark All Forums Read" button.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Old 11-28-01, 02:46 PM  
Deanna
VF Supporter

another choice

I've been trying to do as WWWendy suggested above, but it'll only specify how many new posts I've got. When I click on it, I've got the same amount of messages as I did before--no new messages even though there clearly are new ones. (did that make any sense?).

Anyway, today I discovered a better way to "refresh". With the "new messages" page open, just click on the "reload" button on the browser. It works really well!
Old 11-28-01, 02:55 PM  
Clare*
Moderator/ BC Survivor

That's what I've been doing, Deanna...

Quote:
Originally posted by Deanna

Anyway, today I discovered a better way to "refresh". With the "new messages" page open, just click on the "reload" button on the browser. It works really well!
That has worked the best for me....

I also have found that if I "lose" my new messages because of posting, or something like that, and I have not closed VF, I can use my back button to go the last "search results" and it will take me back to the new messages page, give you an updated list, but still list all the old "new messages". (Some of them may now have closed envelopes even though you didn't read them, but at least you will not have lost them!)

Hope this makes sense!

“..Know the difference between an inconvenience & a problem. If you break your neck, if you have nothing to eat, if your house is on fire- then you got a problem. Everything else is inconvenience. Life is inconvenient. Life is lumpy… And a lump in the oatmeal, and lump in the throat, and a lump in the breast are not the same lump. One should learn the difference.” Sigmund Wollman's Reality Test by Robert Fulghum
Old 11-28-01, 03:12 PM  
Anne V
VF Supporter

I've been using the refresh method with the new messages and have had some problems with it. On serveral occasions I've had problems with backing out using the IE arrows...it won't go all the way back to the new messages list for some reasons. I can go all the way back to the home page and get my new messages. They're all there so I'm not losing anything but once I start having problems going back, it does it every time I open a thread. Very frustrating. I end up closing it up and restarting the forum. Sometimes that helps, sometimes it doesn't.

I've noticed that this seems to happen after I've voted in a poll or posted a message, but not every time.

The other thing that's happened is that sometimes the "go to first unread message" or whatever it says at the top of a thread sometimes disappears. No idea why.
Old 11-29-01, 08:54 AM  
Lydia L
VF Supporter

IE problems too!

Quote:
Originally posted by Anne V
I've been using the refresh method with the new messages and have had some problems with it. On serveral occasions I've had problems with backing out using the IE arrows...it won't go all the way back to the new messages list for some reasons. I can go all the way back to the home page and get my new messages. They're all there so I'm not losing anything but once I start having problems going back, it does it every time I open a thread. Very frustrating. I end up closing it up and restarting the forum. Sometimes that helps, sometimes it doesn't.

I've noticed that this seems to happen after I've voted in a poll or posted a message, but not every time.

The other thing that's happened is that sometimes the "go to first unread message" or whatever it says at the top of a thread sometimes disappears. No idea why.

Anne, I've been experiencing the same things... I usually open a new window for each thread... and have found problems posting on the poll questions... my computer closes all my windows for this forum... very frutstating... I've been reading first and leaving the windows open for those posts that I might post to ( just in case this might happen)... this helps but it's quite annoying.

I've also been using the refresh button on my browser which works just fine... I usually keep a separate window for the home page and open up another window for new messages... makes it much easier!