Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 04-21-16, 06:14 PM  
kimzwirez

Has anyone fixed an elliptical?

My daughter is giving me her Schwinn 430 elliptical which is about 8 years old. It hasn't been used for quite a few of those years, but she says the resistance will not adjust. She told me I need a "crank puller" to fix the elliptical, but I am wondering - do I need any other parts? It seems to me, from the photos I've looked at online, that a crank puller is just a tool to use to install new parts. So my question is this: Has anyone had experience with fixing the resistance on their elliptical using a crank puller?

I could possibly take this to a repair shop, but I live in the middle of nowhere so it's at least 100 miles to the closest dealer. I would like to be able to fix this myself, with help from the S.O.

Thanks for any help.
Old 04-22-16, 06:44 AM  
Lannette

You've probably already done this but I googled it and found information on parts and purchasing parts.

You can also find a variety of videos on taking apart and putting together elliptical.

If I could get the part one expensively and find a video to guide me, I'd try fixing it. Also, places that sell parts sometimes have a knowledgeable person who can help with diagnosis/description of assembly.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Old 04-22-16, 05:52 PM  
kimzwirez

Smile thank you

Thanks for the links, Lannette. I have done quite a bit of googling the last couple of days, but hadn't found some of the links you posted. I guess I'll just pick up the elliptical, get the "crank puller" tool, and see what I can do with it. Wish me luck!
Old 04-23-16, 05:41 AM  
Lannette

Hope you'll update once you get it fixed. I admire you for attempting a fix rather than it immediately ending up in the land fill.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Old 12-11-17, 12:36 PM  
kimzwirez

update

It's been quite awhile since I made the original post, but I wanted to let those who might be interested know what happened when my bf and I tried to fix the elliptical. We took the thing apart clear down to the bare bones yesterday. The problem is the plastic back on the servo motor. The motor itself works fine, but the plastic back has broken apart. I'm confused as to why a company that builds exercise equipment out of good quality metal parts (that we can see) and obviously builds it to last, would use PLASTIC for a part that supports the motor and is under tension!! I did an online chat with Bowflex, because they have taken over the Schwinn business I guess, and they said the servo motor is no longer available. Anywhere.

My suggestion to anyone who is buying a new elliptical, or any type of exercise equipment that has a motor, is to also buy a motor for it when it is new. If I had this motor which cost less than $20, my elliptical would not be scattered all over the living room and would be working right now.

I'm pretty bummed. Hopefully I can save someone else from having to pitch a perfectly good piece of equipment because of an inexpensive part which is not built as sturdy as the external parts.
Old 12-13-17, 02:04 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

is there a generic part available from someone other than Schwinn/Bowflex? i'm pretty sure you're not the first person to ask or wonder about this.

edited to add:
i did a google search, and on the Sears site, they sell a servo motor for that make and model for <$20 (part #8002336):
https://www.searspartsdirect.com/mod...6/1307150.html

you could also google forums that discuss troubleshooting/replacing the servo motor. youtube has a couple of videos too. sometimes you can learn a lot from peoples' comments on youtube, other forums, and amazon reviews/questions.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 12-13-17, 02:38 PM  
kimzwirez

Thanks for checking on that. I also saw that part. It's not the same part because my elliptical was manufactured in 2007. I checked ebay with no luck at this time. There's even a website where people post parts they need for fitness equipment, or parts that they have. Many people need this part so it is evidently a problem for many Schwinn 430 owners. It's sad that they don't continue to make it.
Old 12-13-17, 04:26 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzwirez View Post
Thanks for checking on that. I also saw that part. It's not the same part because my elliptical was manufactured in 2007. I checked ebay with no luck at this time. There's even a website where people post parts they need for fitness equipment, or parts that they have. Many people need this part so it is evidently a problem for many Schwinn 430 owners. It's sad that they don't continue to make it.
awwww.....

how broken is the old part? can it be jimmied into something functional?

nowadays, with the 3D-printer, you can almost recreate anything!

still, without access to a 3D printer, perhaps there's a way to get the old part to work?

many people with classic cars (like my neighbor) need to learn welding to make parts for vintage cars, or know someone who does it.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 12-13-17, 05:22 PM  
kimzwirez

ooooh!!! very smart!!! We have looked at it and are thinking that maybe if we could just construct a bracket for the motor we could re-attach it and it would work. The motor works, but the back has split apart. That's all we need to fix it. I'll see if the bf knows anyone with a 3D printer. THANK YOU!!!