Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 12-22-09, 09:02 AM  
Dabbadooey

Check-ins and challenges: a comment....

I've often joined a check-in or a challenge and there is so much off topic chatter that I can't keep up with it. It's not that I'm not interested in people's lives, it's just that I want to come there for specific discussion on that check-in. Have there been any check-ins here that restricted off topic discussion.....hope I'm not sounding snarky here!!!!
Old 12-22-09, 09:12 AM  
naturallove

Hrmm...one of the reasons that I like my checkins is that we tend to be supportive of other members' life challenges that sometimes get in the way of exercise. There are some checkins that are more terse, with people just reporting what they did that day--maybe that's what you're looking for? That said, you could always start your own check in!
Old 12-22-09, 09:42 AM  
Gymmie

I agree with Natural
“Think about Corey. Right at the finish line and his body gave up after one mile. You’re looking at yourself and if you have 100 plus pounds to lose, your body wants to be healthy.”--Bob Harper on Contestant Corey Pinkerton TBL10

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.

Beachbody Coach
Old 12-22-09, 09:53 AM  
Messe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabbadooey View Post
I've often joined a check-in or a challenge and there is so much off topic chatter that I can't keep up with it. It's not that I'm not interested in people's lives, it's just that I want to come there for specific discussion on that check-in. Have there been any check-ins here that restricted off topic discussion.....hope I'm not sounding snarky here!!!!
I don't think you're being snarky at all. This is why I've never been able to stay in a check-in. I truly don't have time for a lot of extra chatter, and I bristle at the unspoken requirement to respond to everyone individually so I won't be called out for "ignoring" something in her life. When I want to discuss OT topics, I go elsewhere.

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Old 12-22-09, 09:55 AM  
ldy_solana

i second that agreement. i am with the mom's check in and part of our challenges and bonds with exercise and fitness is that we are moms with a lot on our plate. i enjoy the off topic chatter but we also relate it to fitness but we still are supportive in our regular lives and how it effects our workouts in some cases.

you can always start your own check in if that is bothering though. maybe there are others who feel the same way but haven't voiced that opinion yet.

kassia
Old 12-22-09, 10:02 AM  
fit44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldy_solana View Post

you can always start your own check in if that is bothering though. maybe there are others who feel the same way but haven't voiced that opinion yet.
Great idea! Someone started a lurker's check-in. You could start a check-in for no OT chatter.
Old 12-22-09, 10:03 AM  
lesia

Smile I started my own check-in

I have my own check-in because I have a great journal at the ya-yas but I have so many issues getting into that site. I tried for a week to get in so I could post to my journal and in the end I got fed up.

I need to have a place to record my workouts and progress. I see a lot of the Challenges & Check-ins, but they don't fit me. I tend to be a loner.

Around the time I had trouble with connecting, I was starting my Insanity/
P90X rotation and was frustrated that I didn't have a place to post...so I started my own here at VF. It's been very motivating.

I primarily post there, but I have had some encouragers watching my rotation and giving me kudos for at least trying it.

Maybe you could start your own?

Lesia
Old 12-22-09, 10:09 AM  
Janga

I like both kinds of check-in forums, although I've never joined one on VF since I am relatively new here and haven't ever really felt a part of the friendships here.

That truly is not meant to be snarky either lol or like I'm sensitive or bothered by it (don't care all that much, I like the forum, really good info going on here, but it makes me care less about being friendly, so it is a chicken/egg thing lol). It is just that in the short time I've been here I've received some negative feedback via pm (lol, I disabled that feature) and only a very few times has anyone expressed friendliness to me or even acknowledged a post. So a check-in with people where people just give the facts would probably be the best for me, but at any rate I blog my exercise streak (no day missed since Jan. 1, 2009) on blogger where friends who care can comment if they want.

But VF is great and everyone here sounds so fit and knowledgeable so huzzah and hello and happy new year!
Old 12-22-09, 10:12 AM  
Dabbadooey

Let me just add that this tends to occur on a lot of boards not just this one.
Old 12-22-09, 10:18 AM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

Yes, I understand the OP. I've been in some check-ins that I hoped would help me finally re-commit to fitness and exercise but they wound up being about 80-90% unrelated personal talk. Which is great if that's what you want or if that can help you, but it didn't help with my goals.

but upfront stating "no OT chatter" makes it sound pretty militant and harsh! I'm not sure there's a solution to this, really. People get on tangents, they talk about their day, something reminds them of something else, etc. It's natural. I do it too. Nobody wants to be so structured as to say, "hey you, quit whining about losing your job. We just want to know how many plie squats you did."

I'm sure I will join another someday -- in fact I'm eyeing one up now, lol. Never say never -- but so far I think I haven't been a good fit for check-ins.

Tags
check-in