Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 01-10-24, 01:50 AM  
hch
VF Supporter

"Ballet directors talk about ‘fitness.’ That’s still code for rail-thin dancers."

content warning: article talking about weight loss, extreme dieting, disorders, very small bodies with specific numbers, ballet's body criticism, that sort of thing

A 2021 article:

Ballet directors talk about ‘fitness.’ That’s still code for rail-thin dancers.

Quote:
Today’s ballet teachers and company directors know that they can no longer simply instruct their dancers to lose weight. But that doesn’t mean they’ve relinquished their rigid, narrow vision of what a “good” ballet body looks like: They simply swathe that ideal in the gauzy, feel-good messaging of today’s fitness culture.
This article gives illuminating (and worrying) background information about and discussion of the "dancer body" ideal.

Quote:
[George] Balanchine’s preferred female body type — swan-necked, slim-hipped, long-legged, impossibly thin and capable of terrifically difficult footwork — became the enduring global standard for ballet companies and schools.
Quote:
Company directors today commonly say they want “fit” dancers — provided that they also appear fit. That is, in addition to having the strength and stamina to dance a full ballet, they must adhere to the conventional understanding of what a fit person looks like. It’s not enough to lift your pas de deux partner over your head: You also need to have a six-pack while you’re doing it.
I've seen similar commentary on VF about instructors.

Quote:
Consider the ethic of body positivity expressed in the popular slogan, “Strong is the new skinny.” Today, women are permitted, even expected, to be muscular — but never bulky, just lean. They are expected to be the “right kind” of strong, in the right places; they have to look “athletic,” but not like water polo players or shot-put throwers. “Strong is the new skinny,” as long as you’re still skinny.
That sounds familiar.

From how the phrase "strong is the new skinny" is most often used, I already drew similar conclusions about it, and I'm glad not to see it used much on VF. (Even if our society idealized women with those other physiques, we'd still be idealizing a single physique and rejecting others.)
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
Old 01-10-24, 06:04 AM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Thanks for posting the article. It is very sad that we, as a society, have not recognized that talent comes in all sizes. Now, with the WL drugs flooding the market and, even recently being aimed at children, I fear the worst. Even WL companies are jumping on the bandwagon which is an admission that their eating programs never actually worked. Hopefully, the tide will turn and we will celebrate talent and passion in all bodies regardless of shape.
“My life wouldn't be easier if I were thin. My life would be easier if this culture wasn't obsessed with oppressing me because I'm fat. The solution to a problem like bigotry is not to do everything in our power to accommodate the bigotry. It is to get rid of the bigotry.”- Virgie Tovar
Old 01-10-24, 07:43 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

I danced classical ballet as a young adult in the 80s and 90s as a serious-recreational dancer, later taught and also choreographed. So I experienced much of what was stated in the article.

On the other hand, last evening I watched, via AARP, a production of the classic ballet "Giselle" by the Dutch National Ballet. I think it was performed and filmed in the 2000s. It was absolutely stunning; gorgeous dancing and athleticism. At some point, I noticed many of the young women in the corps were not rail thin! There was a much wider range of body shapes and height. I enjoyed seeing that and now after reading the OP's linked article: is the focus on being super-thin an American/Western European ideal? maybe the rest of the world is more diverse and inclusive?
-Neita
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
Old 01-10-24, 11:27 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
I danced classical ballet as a young adult in the 80s and 90s as a serious-recreational dancer, later taught and also choreographed. So I experienced much of what was stated in the article.

On the other hand, last evening I watched, via AARP, a production of the classic ballet "Giselle" by the Dutch National Ballet. I think it was performed and filmed in the 2000s. It was absolutely stunning; gorgeous dancing and athleticism. At some point, I noticed many of the young women in the corps were not rail thin! There was a much wider range of body shapes and height. I enjoyed seeing that and now after reading the OP's linked article: is the focus on being super-thin an American/Western European ideal? maybe the rest of the world is more diverse and inclusive?
-Neita
I also experienced what was stated in the article and wonder the same about the rest of the world. I don't know if this will ever change here, ever.

I recall watching a show some years ago called Flesh and Bone. The lead was an absolutely GORGEOUS dancer, and when I looked her up, I found some info about her dealing with being considered the 'heavy girl' in American companies (she is NOT) because she is rather well-endowed. Apparently, she moved to Europe (Germany maybe?) to dance professionally as she was more accepted there. It's just crazy.

I also remember reading one of Shirley Maclaine's books years ago where she talked about dancing in her early years and the pressure to not eat because when the teachers talked about "your lines" that was really code for how thin you were. I can concur with that!! I don't think that has changed either or ever will, no matter what language is used.

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
Old 01-10-24, 11:27 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I think male ballet dancers like to lift women who are as light as possible. Makes things easier for them.
Old 01-10-24, 11:50 AM  
psupam

I have read that Kari Anderson, who was a trained dancer, left the Joeffrey Ballet in part because of the pressure she got to be thinner. And if you do her workouts, which I still do, she seems to be naturally thin.
Old 01-11-24, 08:47 PM  
fatkat555

I liked watching some Ballet Conrad clips on YouTube. He addresses this demand for the esthetic frequently. What I gathered from what he said was that dancers need to eat healthily to be strong. The “thinness” comes from the work and strength required for ballet. He said if the women are strong dancers, the men don’t have to “lift” them because the women are strong enough to leap into the air.

He can come off angry sometimes in the videos, but I think there’s a wealth of knowledge that he has. His wife, Svetlana, started to learn ballet from him in her 30s and her body transformation is nothing short of remarkable. Interesting stuff.

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Old 01-12-24, 10:29 AM  
fanofladyvols

It isn't just for the female dancers but perhaps it is regional as well? A few years ago I know we had an excellent male dancer win a super competitive scholarship to dance at some exclusive school to study in NY. He came back at break pretty messed up detailing how rigid the eating and work schedule was for him. His mother was a former dancer so it's not like he didn't know how to eat or train. I think she believed things would be different for him because he was male and so much time had passed.

He was a slim, strong build before he left and was painfully thin when he returned. He was still excelling and was in training for whatever a more coveted role was but his mother convinced him not to return.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
Old 01-13-24, 10:43 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Thanks for sharing Henry. It is disheartening.

From working on a college campus, I know that there is still a lot of pressure for athletes (all genders but especially women) to be thinner/smaller, especially in sports that are endurance-based and/or show more of the body - e.g., swimming, track, volleyball. Our office (counseling) has been trying to work with the athletic coaches around this.

More positively, I've noticed that the campus dance clubs tend to include a wider range of body types.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
Old 01-13-24, 04:52 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I remember being on a Firm trip and Lisa Kaye sharing that she was considered "the heavy one " of the Firm instructors. I think she said that was the consensus among all the Firm people.

Also, I watched a movie years ago about gymnastic training - or was it figure skating? It was really sad how they were all forced to extremely diet and over-practice - even through injuries.

Tags
article, article link, ballet, body acceptance, body dysmorphia, body image, body type, sexism, thinness