Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 06-12-23, 01:28 PM  
Karla25

Creating Our Own Forum

I thought I would look into creating our own forum as an experiment. I’m not knowledgeable about computers, but thought I would give it a go anyhow. It was easy to get a forum created, but I am clueless about how to make it work. This is the link: Home Video Fitness Forum

Is there any interest in our members creating our own backup forum? Is anyone interested in being an administrator? We can change the name and set it up any way we want. Maybe we can set it up where we have instructor reviews, video exchanges and check-ins. What ever we want :-) Please let me know your thoughts.
Old 06-12-23, 01:44 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Karla, I'm impressed you were able to do that!

Of course we also have another backup, VF Roost (see discussion here: http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=234387).

I'm concerned that any new forum will not be the same; it will lack the depth and history that makes VF so rich. If we could transfer the data from VF to a new forum, that might work, but I have no idea if that can be done.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
Old 06-12-23, 02:01 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

the sad part (to me) of moving to any new forum is losing all the history - reviews, all about threads, etc.
Old 06-12-23, 02:35 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventmom View Post
the sad part (to me) of moving to any new forum is losing all the history - reviews, all about threads, etc.
That makes me so sad. The resources that are here are so vast.. It would be so sad to lose it all.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
Old 06-12-23, 02:45 PM  
buffmama

I think it's a great idea Karla. With any luck the vast array of resources here will remain accessible and we could simply continue the discussion over there.
Old 06-12-23, 03:36 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

It looks like there is a way to move forum data without losing it, but I'm assuming it would require Wendy's cooperation.

https://cms2cms.com/blog/how-to-swit...-no-data-loss/

And cost $ too. I don't see vBulletin as one of the supported forums for this product.

Carol
Old 06-12-23, 05:15 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
It looks like there is a way to move forum data without losing it, but I'm assuming it would require Wendy's cooperation.

https://cms2cms.com/blog/how-to-swit...-no-data-loss/

And cost $ too. I don't see vBulletin as one of the supported forums for this product.
I'm sure there are plenty of VFers who would be willing to put their subscriber fees towards this - but yes, it would probably require Wendy's help.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
Old 06-13-23, 10:51 AM  
Karla25

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Karla, I'm impressed you were able to do that!

Of course we also have another backup, VF Roost (see discussion here: http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=234387).

I'm concerned that any new forum will not be the same; it will lack the depth and history that makes VF so rich. If we could transfer the data from VF to a new forum, that might work, but I have no idea if that can be done.
It was very simple and took less than a minute. It’s a free version, not the VBulletin software which is what this forum uses.

I thought maybe we should create our own back up forum because it seems that the two recommended forums aren’t very popular. They haven’t attracted new members and most of the posts are ancient.

This forum still has people wanting to join -even though they can’t. It’s a great forum because of the layout, ease of use, history and lack of ads. The VBulletin software has purchase or inexpensive monthly cloud options: vbulletin

I would probably opt for one of the inexpensive cloud options.
Old 06-13-23, 10:59 AM  
sherry7899

Thank you Karla. I just registered.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
Old 06-13-23, 11:34 AM  
Karla25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Thank you Karla. I just registered.
Thanks. I have been playing around with it a bit. I like that everyone can upload an avatar, like posts, have a signature and have a huge variety of emoticons. It’s fun!

Tags
forum issues, forum maintenance, vf site issues