Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 06-10-23, 01:42 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

A Tale of Two Forums...

A tale of two forums...

During the pandemic I came up with one of those "pandemic hobbies." I became interested in studying tarot cards. I found a really great forum at aeclectic.net.

That forum had started in roughly 1996 - near the same time as VF. Several years ago, the founder of the forum decided that she was unable to maintain the forum and was going to close it down. It has been closed since (I think) 2017.

She gave the Forum members plenty of notice. I don't think she gave too many personal reasons, but she showed the respect to let folks know that she was unable to continue and to give them time to prepare for that.

The forum still exists: Tarot Forum. The reviews for the older tarot decks still exist. The forum posts still exist, although no new posts are allowed.

My point is that somebody actually cared enough and showed respect for the members to let them know what was going on and warn them that the website/forum was no longer going to be active. She did whatever she needed to do to keep the Forum in existence, despite not being active. I still go over there to read posts and look at deck reviews.

So, yeah, $hit happens. But, for crying out loud, show some respect to folks like me who have supported VF (financially or by posting) for decades. I've been a member since 1998 and this lack of courtesy and respect is apalling!

You can yell at me saying to not "rile Wendy up" or she'll "close the Forum." If she would be that petty to those who love this forum, I don't know what to say!

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 06-10-23, 02:00 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I consider(ed?) Wendy to be a friend of mine - and I totally agree with you.

Also, I had tarot cards and a book on all sorts of things - tea leaves, coffee grounds, etc. - and I wish I would have pursued it more. My mom had a friend who read coffee grounds and it was really fun and intriguing. I gave her the book.
Old 06-10-23, 02:05 PM  
sherry7899

I agree,Alta.

Very odd: I literally just bought a book about tarot cards at my library book sale a few hours ago. I don’t even own a tarot deck (yet!)

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
Old 06-10-23, 04:08 PM  
rhbrand

You know I'm in agreement.
I feel it's quite disrespectful to just not say anything to the members who have been a part of the VF community, some for more than 2 decades, and who have paid their money into keeping the board up and going, to not be told ANYTHING.

It's got me not willing to pay anymore. Why bother. This board will probably disappear soon.
Old 06-10-23, 05:39 PM  
pgun3

Is Wendy shutting down the forum?
Old 06-10-23, 05:54 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

At the bottom of the forum, it says VF uses VBulletin Version 3.8.3. I checked and the most recent version is...5.7.1. Yikes. The version we have here is from 2009. No wonder there are so many issues. I agree with everyone that something needs to be done, but not sure what. I've never supported VF because even when I joined back in 2013, it seemed no one was minding the store and I didn't feel comfortable sending money into the void. I created an account on Tapatalk quite a few years ago in case VF disappears. Reddit is another possibility.
Old 06-10-23, 06:04 PM  
Buzzer

I have been afraid to say anything about Wendy, since it seems like everyone always had cut her a crap ton of slack on whatever she's been going through for the last 10 years. She hasn't been able to give us 5 minutes of her time to save the sinking ship, or pass the baton to someone that can save it. I remember years ago hearing that she had something going on so she couldn't give us any of her time.

I fail to believe that she is still going through such trauma that she doesn't have a moment to spare. I guess asking for some direction on what is going on is finally happening, and I am really glad!! Although I think we know the answer... she will do nothing for us. We are left out to dry until we all go under and the site is gone.

All I'm praying for is for us to still be able to search and revisit the "glory days" of VF.

I used to be a supporter, but stopped about 1 1/2 or two years ago when I felt like we were abandoned. If she pops up and suddenly starts making moves to keep the forum going, I'll re-subscribe. Otherwise, I will not send even $20 into a void.

pgun3, she is not shutting down the forum directly, however her lack of attention, not updating the forum, not letting in new members, having bot accounts, and not taking people up on their offer of taking over is killing the forum quicker now.

I now I posted similar in the other thread, however I really hope that it gets posted over and over so maybe Wendy will do something! it's like screaming repeatedly for help and no one is there. But I'll keep screaming.

I joined Tapatalk a while ago apparently, with my same name, but I think I have a number after my name. So if VF dies, hopefully we will see people over there!!!
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 06-10-23, 06:08 PM  
pgun3

I wonder what reason she would have not to hand it over to someone that would maintain the site.
Old 06-10-23, 06:44 PM  
Karla25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgun3 View Post
I wonder what reason she would have not to hand it over to someone that would maintain the site.
Probably control issues.
Old 06-10-23, 09:37 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Where is Tapatalk again? I think I joined way back when, but I don't remember anything about it. Thanks.

Tags
abandonware, internet archive, tapatalk, vf roost, vf site issues