Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 11-21-01, 12:31 PM  
SooeyGun
VF Supporter

Question My step is too short

My step is only 28 inches long. Alright for stepping but no good for strength training. Is the Reebok step longer? I have never actually seen one; I can't get one in Canada. I would have to order it. Are there any other suggestions for a long step?

Thanks
Susan
Old 11-21-01, 12:44 PM  
Renee D
VF Supporter

Home Step vs. Club Step

It sounds like you have the home version of The Step (or you have a Denise Austin or Kathy Ireland step.) The Club version of the step is quite a bit longer--42" according to the Collage catalog. The Reebok Step is *almost* as long. I have both. THe Reebok goes higher, which is nice for Firm box work, but I like doing step on the 4" platform of the club step (creaky knees. I can't believe I used to do step at 8"!!)

If you can swing it, definitely get a full-sized version. Not only will it be better for strength training, you'll have a lot more fun doing step aerobics as well. Keep an eye on eBay for good deals. Full price is a lot to pay, *especially* with the exchange rate.

Let your love fly like a bird on the wing
And let your love bind you to all living things
And let your love shine
And you'll know what I mean, that's the reason
~Bellamy Brothers

Old 11-21-01, 01:03 PM  
nora
VF Supporter

I think you should phone around to sports stores. The Reebok step ( and Step Co. also) is definitely available in Canada. I know because I own both and bought both in Canada! You will end up paying exchange, duty, and postage otherwise.
Old 11-21-01, 01:42 PM  
Jane C
VF Supporter

a full size step is a good investment

I use my step more than any piece of equipment in my home gym. I recommend getting a step co. step and, if you can swing it, some additional risers. Its sturdy, adaptable and really useful. Try http://www.fwonline.com

Come, come, whoever you are.
Wanderer, idolator, worshipper of fire,
come even though you have broken your vows a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.
Ours is not a caravan of despair.

Rumi
Old 11-21-01, 09:10 PM  
Sarah K
VF Supporter

The Reebok Step is 36" long and about 14" wide. It works fine for me as a bench for lifting (I'm 5'2"). You can raise it to 10" which is great for flies (compared to the Step Co step which would require additional risers). The Reebok step can also be put on an incline, though I find it a bit clumsy for that.

I can't believe that it is not sold in Canada-- you can always order by mail though shipping charges can be expensive (I think it weighs 15 lbs without the packaging).
Old 11-29-01, 04:11 PM  
shamrockquinn
VF Supporter

RE: short step

Hi Susan

I wanted to write to tell you that I just purchased my full step the other night.
I was using one of those fat foamy Denise Austin steps that I kept booting around the room by accident. And I also used a shorter length, multi-tiered one by "The Step" that also was wobbly & slid around a bit. I was almost killing myself on those things, and I kept wondering why everyone on VF seemed to LOVE step so much and were pursuing harder, more complicated step videos like Cathe's when I thought step just seemed downright annoying!

...But...here's the happy ending... Instead of giving up, I went out & got a full-size one by The Step, a monstrous thing that goes up really high and can double as a bench. But anyway, I've worked out on it a couple times and am really happy. I did Kathy Smith's and Gin Miller's The Step Video. Rudimentary tapes, I know, but my buns were barking and it made such a difference not a-fearing for my life like I did on the shorter step. The full size really lets you "open 'er up" (to use a good ol' American expression .

So, by all means, buy the big one. I can't give you any recommendations for Reebok vs. my The Step because I'm still confused about the variety of heights offered on mine, but the length is just perfect. Have fun!

- Joanne
Old 11-29-01, 04:18 PM  
PamelaP

"My buns were barking"...too funny (nfm)

Old 11-29-01, 08:04 PM  
Renee D
VF Supporter

Re: RE: short step

Quote:
Originally posted by shamrockquinn

...But...here's the happy ending... Instead of giving up, I went out & got a full-size one by The Step, a monstrous thing that goes up really high and can double as a bench. ...I can't give you any recommendations for Reebok vs. my The Step because I'm still confused about the variety of heights offered on mine, but the length is just perfect. Have fun!

- Joanne
Joanne, is that the Super Step? On another thread someone said the main part was 5.5 inches tall and the risers each added another 5 inches.

Let your love fly like a bird on the wing
And let your love bind you to all living things
And let your love shine
And you'll know what I mean, that's the reason
~Bellamy Brothers

Old 11-30-01, 08:31 AM  
SooeyGun
VF Supporter

Thanks for the help

Thank you for all the advice. Waiting for after Christmas to go out and find my new step, but it is definitely in the post holiday budget!

Susan
Old 12-03-01, 06:38 PM  
Cheryl

Reebok or The Step?

I'm still not sure which step to get. How high does the Reebok step go? Somebody mentioned it was good for FIRM box work, which makes me think I should get the Reebok one cuz I'm doing FIRM videos now. The Step step is in my sporting goods store for $79 but it only goes up to 8 inches.
Cheryl