Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 09-04-22, 10:49 AM  
sherry7899

Netflix series has an episode about home workouts

Netflix has a series called HISTORY 101 and season 2 has an episode on home workouts. Informative and entertaining!

The above was posted in a Les Mills facebook group. I have not watched it yet.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
Old 09-04-22, 11:15 AM  
fanofladyvols

How fascinating! Unfortunately, I don't have Netflix.

I hope someone comes back and posts their thoughts after they watch.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
Old 09-04-22, 01:21 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

I came across it the other night and watched, though I was pretty tired, so maybe that's what colored my view, but I was expecting it to be fun and it let me down. Just seemed to cover the most obvious things (which I guess makes sense) and at this point not at all memorable. I hope someone else has a better review for you!
Old 09-04-22, 01:45 PM  
fanofladyvols

Thanks, bee!

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
Old 09-05-22, 09:01 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I just watched it and it's only 22 minutes long. They can't nearly cover enough in that amount of time, but you see Jack LaLanne, Jane Fonda, Marie Osmond (first celebrity pregnancy video), Cindy Crawford, Fabio, Suzanne Somers, Tamilee Webb, Richard Simmons and maybe a couple others like Chuck Norris and Christie Brinkley. They begin with saying that home exercise wasn't a thing in the 50's with everyone leading more active lifestyles but JFK got kids exercising in schools in the 60's and people started jogging. They spoke briefly about the introduction to Aerobic exercise with Jacki Sorensen in the late 60's and people/women began going to health clubs. Anyway, it goes on and ends with many gyms having to close during Covid and more people exercising at home with online workouts. And, exercise equipment becoming big money makers (Peloton bikes) and sales going up and increasing during Covid. It's decent, just not extensive by any means. I'm surprised Beachbody wasn't mentioned, as that's more mainstream. And, there was no one using kettlebells, either. You don't see Kathy Smith, Denise Austin, Gilad or anyone from the FIRM. Also, no yoga (Rodney Yee), pilates or barre instructors. They could have spent another 22 minutes on this easily.

May Focus:
Miranda Esmonde-White Classical Stretch Season 9 (All Standing)
Sahra Esmonde-White Body Sculpting Series, Toning for Beginners, Ultimate Stretch workouts

Old 09-05-22, 02:33 PM  
Softshoe
VF Supporter

Thanks for the review, Pam.
Old 09-05-22, 06:06 PM  
amery

Thanks for sharing, I'm going to watch it now!
Old 09-05-22, 07:16 PM  
fanofladyvols

Thanks, Pam.

And you're spot on, 22 min isn't nearly enough to cover it appropriately.

Old 09-06-22, 04:25 PM  
jusca

Thanks for the detailed review, Pam. Now I don't feel like I'm missing out since I don't have Netflix.
Old 09-06-22, 08:49 PM  
acey

Thanks Pam. I do wish there was a more extensive documentary, as you noted. It would certainly include VF! (and Firm Believers, and so on). It could really be a multiple-part documentary including not only the origins of home workouts (LaLanne, Fonda), the '80s (a couple of eps at least!), Taebo and kickboxing, pilates and yoga, Denise Austin, Gilad, Cathe, CIA...Beachbody, Les Mills...also workout videos seen in movies, or spoofed...Exercise TV and FitTV...and now streaming.

Tags
history, home exercisers in movies, home exercisers in tv