Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 04-21-24, 11:45 AM  
gladgirl

Barre3

Someone mentioned Barre3 in another thread and alerted me to their sale.

What can you tell me about Barre3?
They are showing apprx. $179 for annual membership. Does anyone know if that is the 25% off price or you take 25% off $179 during their sale.

This looks like something I could really use right now.

But, I would love to hear from those who use it, have used it...
Tell me your favorite class or your issues. Is this something I might use daily or at least 5 days weekly? Do they have programs or just classes?
Help me out here...you enablers!
Old 04-21-24, 12:52 PM  
Peukalo-Liisa
VF Supporter

I've just decided to give it a try for a month. They do have several types of classes - signature, strength, cardio, mindful flow, core and stretch. I've tried signature and cardio so far, and they have very little to do with barre

From what I'd read, they changed it this way a few years ago. I would describe workouts I tried like a functional fitness - they use big range of motions and compound moves. They use props - weights (up to 8#), loop bands, sliders and a small ball (not everything at once). Signature classes have two instructors, one of them shows modifications.

They do release several classes each week, and they range between 15 and 60 min. They have several programs but no weekly calendar. I appreciate they don't focus on aesthetics and have instructors in different ages / body shapes.

I'd say it is worth giving a try, but I wouldn't subscribe for a year immediately
Old 04-21-24, 02:29 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Barre3 has always been a "fusion". I subscribed for a couple years and loved some of the workouts, but really feel they have morphed away from barre/yoga blend. Lots of AWT or interval training to me.

But hey, maybe I'll go check them out.....again .

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
Old 04-21-24, 07:17 PM  
prettyinpink

It was never really barre, but now I agree it doesn’t resemble barre at all. I did like the older workouts more, but they do have more category options now, put out lots of workouts all the time, and thankfully are past the constant “find your truth” (portlandese?) and postpartum chitchat they used to have.

I feel like I always post in the barre3 threads because I’ve subscribed so long. But I use the Signature 30’s and 45’s as light cardio. Someone who likes their Strength workouts could use the site for all their workouts for a while, I guess. For me it hits that spot for what I do when I don’t feel like working out or searching for something new; just pressing play and knowing I will get something that gives me some good movement and won’t annoy me is appealing.

The Flow workouts, which are slower and yoga-inspired, I only do occasionally. but I get a lot more out of Essentrics or yoga than their Flow. I have enjoyed them when coming back from sickness.

The cardio workouts are nice to have as an option, but just okay to me. I like that there are 15 minute ones for an add-on to something else. They are done in circuits, usually 3 exercises in each circuit, done 3 times each. Too many of them get boring as the moves seem even more recycled on these than in the Signature. They have some jumping, pretty moderate, but there are always options if you can’t do impact.

My go-to instructors are Ace and Christa Joy, then Dustin or Allison.
Old 04-21-24, 07:39 PM  
moonbeam31

When they first started the "Barre 3" was a fusion of 3 disciplines:
Barre
Yoga
Pilates
Primarily Barre though. It was their way of calling it Barre Fusion. Now it is more strength, yoga, functional fusion, they got away from the Barre aspect, which is their namesake. I don't know!?
Old 04-22-24, 02:04 AM  
Peukalo-Liisa
VF Supporter

I planned to try their strength class this morning, but Joni O'd it after the instructor announced that we're going to do renegade rows and single leg RDLs I did a signature class with Christa Joy instead.

Oh, and regarding the price - I think 179$ is the final amount, and 25% only applies to the monthly price - 22.49$ instead of 29$. The nice thing is that you stay on the reduced monthly price after the first month.
Old 04-22-24, 05:57 AM  
LindaL
VF Supporter

I have gone back and forth for years with Barre3. I’m glad they got away from the “find your truth” talk and remember when they got rid of tons of great workouts because the way the instructors spoke in those sessions didn’t align with their new focus. Now that seems to have settled down and as a 57-year-old, I appreciate the way they currently suggest modifications without (what seemed to me at the time) the annoying hipster talk.

The method really isn’t very close to barre anymore, but back in the day some of their moves used to make my piriformis pain flare up and now their moves are much more functional. In fact, when I considered whether or not to pre-order Cathe’s new set, I decided against it because I feel like Barre3 strength workouts provide me with the kind of functional strength workouts that I enjoy doing. I especially love Jasmine’s workouts for strength. Ace and Christa Joy are awesome.

These days, I gauge a workout not just how I feel while I’m doing it, but how I feel after. I love Cathe’s strength workouts, but even using lighter weights, they’re too taxing on my nervous system and I end up feeling like garbage after, even if I felt great during the workout. Even though I get a solid workout with Barre3, I don’t have that exhausted feeling afterwards.

Disclosure: I was a Beachbody success story and part of a P90X infomercial.
Old 04-22-24, 09:08 AM  
Gale K.
VF Supporter

I subscribe to Barre3. The $179 is likely the annual sale price--it it the price that I paid in January. It comes out to $15/month, which I think is a good price for all of the workouts available.

I'm 64 and find that Barre3 is a great fit for me. I have shoulder issues. B3 still incorporates planks, mountain climbers, etc. but they encourage modifying to a higher surface or even skipping problematic moves all together and subbing something else. This really works for me, and I haven't had a flare up since using it. They do encourage 3-5 times/week, and add weekly a new signature, strength, cardio and yoga. I mostly do 30 minute workouts, 2-3 times per week to supplement my rebounding workouts. I get overwhelmed with YouTube, so I like that I can go to b3 for all of my workouts and usually just pick the latest workouts. All workouts emphasize functional moves and mobility. For me, it is worth the investment!

The winds of grace are blowing all the time--all we need to do is raise our sails.
-Rama Krishna, as quoted by Baron Baptiste
Old 04-24-24, 08:59 AM  
gladgirl

Thank you each and everyone for the info.
I truly appreciate it.
Old 04-29-24, 11:49 AM  
prettyinpink

Barre3 annual is now $99 but it is today only.

Tags
barre 3, barre3, barre3 streaming