Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 12-27-23, 11:09 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

What does COVID feel like in the beginning?

My husband woke up sick Christmas Day. I ran out and got a test kit to confirm and it is COVID. Today is his fourth day, he's on Paxlovid after a teleconference with his PCP, and still feels like hell.

This morning I began feeling tightness in my upper chest and a feeling like I'm wearing a tight turtleneck, and have a niggly dry cough. Otherwise I'm just dandy. It could be an asthma flare up from hiking in the woods on Christmas Day (tons of leaves = leaf mold) but I'm also scared!

I never had COVID and haven't had any flu or bad throat virus in years. All I know is the new variants are milder than the original frightening version. If you've had it recently, what were the signs?
Old 12-27-23, 11:23 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Pat, did you take a covid test yourself? If your doc wants to prescribe Paxlovid to you, there's a window within which it would be effective. Usually a positive covid test tends to be the starting point from where the doc will use for the timeframe on dosage.

according to YaleMedicine.com,
Quote:
Studies have shown Paxlovid to reduce hospitalization and death by 86% in unvaccinated COVID patients (in initial trials by Pfizer, which developed the drug), and 80% effective in those who have been vaccinated.
When i contracted it from going to a local Comic Con this past March (), i tested positive, then did a virtual doctor's appt w/my PCP, and from there he called the Rx in to my preferred pharmacy. i had a sore throat, felt lousier than my usual (), and had body aches. I worked from home to isolate per my employer's Covid policy. i kept testing positive about a week later, so i was WFH for almost 3 weeks all together. prior to attending said Comic Con, i had had a couple of booster shots including one that was updated for the earlier omicron strain.

There's a new anti-viral drug called Ensitrelvir which reduces the olfactory disorders better than earlier anti-viral drugs. I've been reading that the impact of olfactory issues has been associated with cognitive decline.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 12-27-23, 11:33 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I had COVID in late July for the first (and so far only) time after a trip to Orlando where I visited theme parks and was around a lot of people, so I wasn't real surprised I caught COVID. Anyway, the day before I had symptoms I was feeling very tired so I knew something was up. The next morning I woke up with a sore throat that felt different from any others I'd ever had, a slight headache, runny nose, annoying cough (but it wasn't too bad). I took my temp and it was 100.5. Then I took a COVID test and it was positive. I had a mild case and only was sick for about 5 days and each day I felt progressively better.

I consulted with my PCP via telehealth and he prescribed Paxlovid, but I never took it because I didn't need it. I started testing negative a week after my first symptoms. COVID is different for everyone. I was vaccinated with the most updated vaccines that were available at that time. Hope this helps.
Old 12-27-23, 11:58 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Thank you both. It sounds so different for everyone.

I didn't get the booster this year for various reasons. Hopefully it's nothing but I'll pick up a test kit on the way home. My son was exposed but he feels fine (then again he had the most recent booster).
Old 12-27-23, 12:39 PM  
Leonana

Nasal irrigation works really well for me for colds and sinus issues. Apparently, some preliminary studies show it might help with Covid. I like to use the Neil Med Sinus Rinse bottle.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10312243/
Old 12-27-23, 12:53 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
Nasal irrigation works really well for me for colds and sinus issues. Apparently, some preliminary studies show it might help with Covid. I like to use the Neil Med Sinus Rinse bottle.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10312243/
I am a huge believer in nasal irrigation and I also use a Neti Med Sinus Rinse bottle. I find it more effective than a Neti pot. I use it almost every day as a preventative measure, especially if I’ve been in a crowd. I’ve always found it helpful when I’ve had a cold.

Pat - (((Hugs))) I’ve had Covid twice. Symptoms vary greatly for person to person. The first time I had it, I initially tested neg but a couple of days later I was pos. Mine started with a mild nagging cough and chest tightness both times. I had it the first time in Aug 2022 and again in Feb of this year. I was much sicker the first time. I hope your DH feels better soon and you don’t have it. Regarding Paxlovid, I’ve heard it can help, but I’ve also heard if people getting a rebound effect where you get worse again after you finish it.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
Old 12-27-23, 12:57 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Thank you Sherry, I'll dig out the Neil Med.

Yikes Pam - I have the same exact, mild nagging cough and chest tightness. My husband's doc told him the same about rebound, but he felt the greater risk was leaving it untreated.

There are SO many bugs crawling around this year.
Old 12-27-23, 01:20 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Keep in mind that with the at-home/self tests, it can take 3-5 days for a positive result to be indicated. So test today, but then again in a few days, and again one more time. I know that 'cus I had Covid earlier in the year. And now it's going around my family again.

As far as the symptoms I had, it was similar to a flu - but "different" as someone else posted. It was weird, I sensed immediately that it was Covid. I had gone for a walk with my sister, during our work-from-home lunch breaks. I came home and soon started shivering uncontrollably. I ended up with a 103 fever for several days. Thank goodness for Paxlovid!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
Old 12-27-23, 02:10 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
As far as the symptoms I had, it was similar to a flu - but "different" as someone else posted. It was weird, I sensed immediately that it was Covid. I had gone for a walk with my sister, during our work-from-home lunch breaks. I came home and soon started shivering uncontrollably. I ended up with a 103 fever for several days. Thank goodness for Paxlovid!
Yep! It felt very different from any flu or virus I'd ever had. It's hard to describe but the sore throat I had was more "intense" than any I'd had before. For me, that was the worst symptom. I didn't have the chills, chest congestion or a high fever. My fever was never higher than 100.5 and the virus stayed in my sinuses. Again, everyone is different.
Old 12-27-23, 02:52 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Pat, I hope you and your DH feel better soon!

I also like to use the NeilMed Sinus Rinse bottle for nasal irrigation. I like it a lot better than the Neti Pot.

Tags
covid, covid-19