Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 03-27-06, 11:12 AM  
Meri

weighted gloves

Can anyone tell me where to get weighted gloves? I noticed that a lot of people said already had them that were getting the new turbo jams. I have looked EVERYWHERE for a pair... I saw a pair a target, but they were only 1 lb...
Old 03-27-06, 11:28 AM  
hedygs
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meri
Can anyone tell me where to get weighted gloves? I noticed that a lot of people said already had them that were getting the new turbo jams. I have looked EVERYWHERE for a pair... I saw a pair a target, but they were only 1 lb...
Is that 1 lb each glove? I really believe this is a nice weight to use for kickboxing. I have a 2 lb pair and for me that is too much. JMO.
Old 03-27-06, 11:28 AM  
EllieE

http://www.fitness1st.com/Kickboxing-Boxing.html

They have a 4lb pair (each weighs 2lbs) and a 6 lb pair (each weighs 3 lbs), but they're pricey.

If you use them for kickboxing, you really don't need a lot of weight, or you'll tear up your elbows. Personally, I use walking weights I bought at Target. They are small and skooshy, and they fit in the palm of your hand (I'd much rather have the weight distributed in my palm than on the back of my hand). They have a strap that velcros around the back of your hand. They come in two pounds and three pounds (or 1 pound and 1.5 pounds for each hand respectively). I love them.

I've been toying with getting a pair of weighted gloves instead of platemates, for small increases in weightlifting. Sigh. I just can't decide.

If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to be a horrible warning.
Old 03-27-06, 12:18 PM  
keb's mom

new use for the weighted gloves

If you put the gloves on backwards (so that the weighted part is on top of your hand instead of in your palm) they are great to use as added weight while holding a dumbell. For rear delt work sometimes 5 lbs is too easy but 8 lbs is to hard but wearing the gloves backwards and holding a dumbell in each hand works out great! 6.5 lbs is a good weight to use on certain excercises. I don't know how often I will use these gloves for kickboxing but I think they will be of great use in adding just a little more weight to some of my dumbell excercises!
Old 03-27-06, 01:37 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meri
1 pound per hand is what I would recommend, and what I use most of the time (I've been using them for several years, so sometimes will increase the weight).

I've gotten good weighted gloves (Ironwear gloves) at a Reebok factory outlet, online, and at Target years ago.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Old 03-28-06, 06:28 PM  
juliel
VF Supporter

sent you a pm.
julie

"One cat just leads to another." - Ernest Hemingway
Old 03-29-06, 07:25 AM  
sundari

I bought a pair of Gold's Gym weighted gloves at Ross for $3. They are 1.5lbs ea. I use them for kickboxing and powerwalking. They also had a 6lb pair for $6 but that was going to be too heavy for me.
Old 03-29-06, 11:15 AM  
Carebear

Go to ebay and type in Altus Weighted gloves. I got mine from there and they still have a bunch available. I have the one lb. but you can buy two. You can buy the one lbs. and add more weight to them later if you decide you want more. They have a zipper pouch to put the weight in on the outside of the hand. I love mine.
Old 03-29-06, 11:24 AM  
belle411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carebear
Go to ebay and type in Altus Weighted gloves. I got mine from there and they still have a bunch available. I have the one lb. but you can buy two. You can buy the one lbs. and add more weight to them later if you decide you want more. They have a zipper pouch to put the weight in on the outside of the hand. I love mine.
Carebear (LOVE your name! ), are the Altus gloves big or small? I have small hands, so I worry about them being too loose. Can you flip them inside out to dry out the sweat? (I sweat a lot too! LOL)

TIA
Old 03-29-06, 01:00 PM  
Carebear

I have small hands too. They are adjustable. They have a velcro flap you pull to make them tighter/looser, and to take off. The open up completely so you can lay them flat to dry them out. They dry pretty fast.

Tags
dumbbell size, kickboxing, walking with weights, weighted gloves