Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 11-21-02, 05:55 PM  
vivian

Anyone use Iron Knuckles ( weighted gloves ) for kickboxing ??

Hi . I finally found Iron Knuckles at Reebok and got 2 pairs ( 1 lb. and 4 lb. ) which I plan on using for kickboxing . Kickboxing has improved mucle tone quite a bit and Im sure these will make it even better . Does anyone use these ? Liked /not ? Results ?
So excited !!
Old 11-21-02, 08:32 PM  
lsp
VF Supporter

Re: Handgrips

I got a pair of weighted gloves from www.janissaffell.com, but I have not used them yet. They are comfortable, and I image they would give you a good arm workout.
Sorry this isn't much help, but I figured I'd at least mention another place where you could buy these gloves....since I know how people around here love to spend $ on fitness stuff....
Old 11-21-02, 10:45 PM  
aerobidiot
VF Supporter

I got them, but I only used them once on Janis Saffel's kickboxing workout - I just didn't like the workout. Then I got info from a fitness pro that it really isn't safe to work with the weights on my hands - I'm not sure I believe this totally, I'm willing to try them again, if I could find a workout that used them that I like better.
Old 11-22-02, 06:12 AM  
Bob331
VF Supporter

I would advise against using weighted gloves. I have read in knowledgeable articles that our joints are not able to take the stress of repeated exercises with weights at the end of long levers (think: ankles, wrists). My own experience with HeavyHands led to elbow joint problems. The more violent nature of kickboxing moves would pose a greater risk, in my opinion.

My HeavyHands are now in my basement for my 9-year-old to use if she ever wants to do bicep curls.

Bob
Old 11-22-02, 06:37 AM  
horsemom2

I think it is ok if you go light

The boxing gloves folks wear for kickboxing/boxing workouts do weigh a pound each. I prefer to use comfortable 1 1/2 pound cushioned hand weights to increase intensity for TaeBo and walking workouts while paying close attention to my elbow and shoulder for any sign of strain. Just avoid fast full extensions which you shouldn't do even without weights.

Barb S
who is even more careful when working out on the rebounder cuz of the G force
Old 11-22-02, 12:20 PM  
DHKWriter
VF Supporter

Weighted gloves

I bought a pair at Walmart that are one pound each and I love them. They make me feel more in control of my punches and give me the extra intensity that I need during kickboxing workouts, esp. during the punching segments. Before that I was using one pound handheld weights and this is so much better.

Donna K in NJ
Old 11-22-02, 02:05 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

I use 1 pound iron hands gloves for many of my kickboxing workouts. This is definitely something to work up to, though, and as a woman I wouldn't go above 1# per hand. When I first started doing this, I got into it a bit too enthusiastically (once doing it two days in a row) and had a bout of tennis elbox (boxing elbow?). I laid off the gloves for a while, until I got stronger from weight training and had perfected (or at least improved) my punching form, and I haven't had any problems yet.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Old 11-22-02, 02:54 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Weighted gloves

I also use 1 lb gloves. I like them for punching except for speedbag work. It's probably o.k. but my arms just get too tired when I do speedbag moves with gloves on.

Helen
Old 11-22-02, 06:52 PM  
vivian

Thanks for all the imput...

I didnt know if 1 lb. would be too little or if 4 lbs. would be too much weight so I got both to give them a try . Also because its been over a years since Istarted looking for these here and just found them ( videos and fitness articles arent that abundant here ) , if I didnt get them when I had the chance I might have to wait another year or so !!

I am planning on trying the 1 lb. today with a reg. kickboxing tape , maybe Stephanie Steele or Kathy Smith .

I guess 4 lb . is a bit too heavy for the joints and these kinds of moves and could end up hurting the wrong way so Ill probably give those to my brother . I guess I felt like Superwoman when I got these !!
Old 09-02-04, 08:56 AM  
yahoo205

http://store.reebok.com/product/inde...entPage=family

is this 6 lbs. EACH or 6 lbs. total (3 lbs. each)? thanks

Tags
dumbbell size, walking with weights, weighted gloves