Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 12-25-10, 03:57 PM  
oltlfan

Walkng outside and weights question

Would some very light 1-pound weights, maybe weighted gloves, add any benefit when walking outside?
Old 12-25-10, 06:39 PM  
DejaDeb

I think it would increase the toning in your arms and add some intensity to your walk -- so I would say yes, it would be beneficial.
Old 12-25-10, 09:51 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oltlfan View Post
Would some very light 1-pound weights, maybe weighted gloves, add any benefit when walking outside?
I have been meaning to post this question for awhile. My concern is the potential for injury if using weights while walking. I was wondering what the current thinking is on this topic.

Leslie
Old 12-26-10, 12:53 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

IMO, if a hand weight is heavy enough to do much, it's also heavy enough to cause elbow and/or shoulder problems. Better would be wearing a weighted vest (which distributes weight in a more natural fashion, over larger muscle groups) or some kind of resistance bands or belt (that can be released if you get fatigued or feel like you're overdoing).

For arm toning, I'd suggest doing a short upper-body weight workout right after a walk.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Old 12-26-10, 03:26 AM  
MomOf2Gremlins

I don't think 1 lbs weights would do damage when used while walking. The little added weight would probably benefit of burning a little bit more calories as you'd carry extra weight?
I've never used weights while walking outdoors but Leslie Sansone has a few walks where she uses weights (up to 3 lbs).

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

Old 12-26-10, 03:46 AM  
Sophia

I've heard that weighted vests aren't good because they squish the spine or something like that (technical term there....it's almost 1 am right now and I can't think of the proper terminology, only that I've heard they aren't good for your spine).
Old 12-26-10, 07:11 AM  
LAC

I've read that walking with weights is not a good idea as it strains your tendons and ligaments and causes joint problems. But I don't have any official studies that I can refer you to and I think opinion varies on this.

Sophia, is the term you're looking for compression?
Old 12-26-10, 07:27 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

From what I've read, studies have shown that holding very light weights while walking does not add much to caloric burn and that holding heavier weights (i.e. 3 or 5 pounds) poses too much risk of injury to offset any calorie-burning benefit.

I used to like the old Firm walking tapes, where you would walk and do various upper body exercises with light weights simultaneously. It does feel like you work harder when the upper and lower body are both working, but there isn't much benefit from it. It's safer and more effective to use heavier weights for upper body strength training and keep the weight work separate from the cardio.
Old 12-26-10, 07:44 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I notice that when I carry light weights and move my arms around, I have a higher heartbeat than if I don't carry them. I don't think there's any harm in carrying light weights. People walk while carrying things all the time.
Old 12-26-10, 08:14 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
I notice that when I carry light weights and move my arms around, I have a higher heartbeat than if I don't carry them. I don't think there's any harm in carrying light weights. People walk while carrying things all the time.
I want to carry weights primarily to increase my heart rate and caloric burn not to tone my arms. It is very difficult for me to get my heartrate up by walking alone - I usually need to alternate walking with running to get my HR up to a level that is barely in my target heart rate zone. So maybe I will try 1 pound wieghts and my heart rate monitor to see how effective it is and if it causes any stress. Thanks for all your responses.

Leslie

Tags
walking, walking with weights, weighted gloves, weighted vest, weighted walking