Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 05-04-24, 11:53 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Question YouTube premium: Is it worth it?

The last few years, I find I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos. Not just fitness, but instructional videos, historical videos, etc. etc. etc..

I'm not a violent person, but I'm about ready to strangle some of these incredibly loud, annoying and obnoxious commercial actors.

For anyone who pays for YouTube Premium, is it worth it?

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 05-04-24, 12:13 PM  
laurajhawk

It’s worth it for us. I somehow got a trial membership, and found that I couldn’t ask DH to give it up when the trial was over- he watches a lot of YouTube and hates ads. But honestly I love not having the ads; they really disrupt my mood when I’m doing workouts, especially yoga!

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
Old 05-04-24, 12:17 PM  
Camember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
The last few years, I find I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos. Not just fitness, but instructional videos, historical videos, etc. etc. etc..

I'm not a violent person, but I'm about ready to strangle some of these incredibly loud, annoying and obnoxious commercial actors.

For anyone who pays for YouTube Premium, is it worth it?
I have sent you a PM (well, I think I have done it well, it was my first one) regarding YouTube.
Old 05-05-24, 08:09 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

We have premium with up to five users. My kids, husband, and I use the heck out of it, lol. No way we could watch ads again.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Old 05-05-24, 11:39 AM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

It is 100% worth it for me. I have had it for a few years now, and the times I've tried to go back, I can't take it because of all the ads. Also, it includes YouTube Music in the subscription, which I really only recently learned about. I've been using Amazon music for years, which is good for me (it's just like Spotify/iTunes/etc., includes podcasts and all that) and is about $10-11 a month, $16-18ish for the family subscription, I think. It is separate from Prime, so you don't need Prime to have Amazon Music. But after learning that YouTube music is included in Premium, I'm cutting Amazon Music to save the money. If you have a music app subscription, you could do the same if you have YouTube Premium!
Old 05-05-24, 12:23 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Thanks for the comments!

I'm thinking I might cave. There is a 1-month free trial. Also, I read that sometimes you can find a 3-month trial.

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 05-05-24, 04:39 PM  
nevertoolate

I also love YouTube Premium. I got a 6-month free trial and kept the subscription when the trial ran out. I watch a lot of educational videos and it was so nice not to have to sit through the commercials. And I love YouTube Music. As others mentioned, it's free with YouTube Premium. I had used Amazon Prime Music for years and was so disappointed when they moved a lot of the music and features to a paid subscription. YouTube music is great. So I'll keep YouTube Premium. It's well worth the cost for me.

Ann
Old 05-06-24, 10:21 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I love it. In fact I love it much more than Prime, which I'm planning to drop.

I use YT for yoga, workouts and meditation, and now have gone down a path of watching travel, history, nature, health, doctors, and people filming their walks through scenic areas. Not having the ads is fabulous. I had been doing a lot of Lucy Wyndham-Read workouts, and one of them had - no exaggeration - 11 ads throughout a short workout. The next morning I was enjoying a yin yoga practice and a flipping ad came on right before savasana, so I signed up right there.

So it's worth it to me.
Old 05-06-24, 01:00 PM  
LeslieM
VF Supporter

you can also download videos/audio for offline viewing. That will be handy for long plane rides since we've cancelled Netflix, Hulu, etc.

I just now cancelled my Spotify subscription. We had the family plan we shared with kids. Now I'm sharing my YT Premium account with them. Told them they'd need to download the YT Music app to their phones.

Thanks!

Leslie
Old 05-06-24, 01:10 PM  
prettyinpink

If I were watching a lot of it, I think it would be worth it. If I were using it near daily for workouts I’d subscribe, because I would consider it to be like a fitness subscription. I guess the workouts I tend to do on YouTube don’t allow as many ads. As far as I can tell, channel owners have a choice as to how often they are shown. And I already have other fitness and movie/TV subscriptions, so I hold off on YouTube. Maybe some of it is that I dislike Google as a company, haha. But even for the limited amount I do watch, it’s tempting. I knew when YouTube started that it would eventually be like this, I’m only surprised that it took as long as it did to get to this level of ad craziness.

Tags
youtube, youtube premium