Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Vendor Comments/Reviews
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 03-17-10, 05:45 PM  
wisperofsummer

Thumbs down Cathe.com

I would like honest opinion here. Am I wrong in expecting a buisness to honour their invoices?

I will admit I was a little snippy in my response but I was irritated. I place an order. Paid what they charged and then find out that they are adding over 200.00 in extra shipping.

They screw up and I have to pay.

Whatever the cause a decent buisness would have shipped the product at the stated price.

I have found holes in my own billing system for my lab that has forced me to take a loss but in the interest of customer service and not punishing my customers for MY ERROR, I have taken the loss.

Hello Tina, how are you? I am mailing you because in order to ship the items you ordered to Canada, it will cost $235.60. You already paid $11.99 and will owe $223.61. Please mail me back and let me know how you would like to proceed from this point. Thank you and have a good day.

Bob Suppa
www.cathe.com
support@shopcathe.com
Customer said: 20 days ago (483 hours ago) [2/25/2010 3:22PM]

Dear Bob,

I have paid the price you have charged for shipping. Are you regneging on
the stated price? Are you adding addtional shipping?

Tina

On , support@shopcathe.com wrote:
> Hello Tina, how are you? I am mailing you because in order to ship the
> items you ordered to Canada, it will cost $235.60. You already paid
> $11.99 and will owe $223.61. Please mail me back and let me know how you
> would like to proceed from this point. Thank you and have a good day.

> Bob Suppa

> www.cathe.com

> support@shopcathe.com

cathe.com said: 19 days ago (458 hours ago) [2/26/2010 4:00PM]

Hello Tina, I am sorry for the confusion. The reason for the shipping prices you saw on your order was due to the excessive weight of your order. We try to use live rates for shipping to get the most accurate cost we can however, USPS can only ship up to weights of 66lbs to Canada so when your order was placed and totaled just over 105lbs, it confused the USPS live rate server and was unrecognizable by them. The rate that was sent back was invalid due to the unrecognizable weight by the USPS server. We don't normally get orders of this weight being shipped to Canada. I can still ship the order if you would like but it will need to be done in separate boxes and the cost will be the amount I quoted in the email. Please mail me back to let me know whether or not you would like me to ship the order to you. Thank you and have a good day.

Bob Suppa
www.cathe.com
support@shopcathe.com
Customer said: 19 days ago (457 hours ago) [2/26/2010 5:05PM]

I will be forwarding this to the better business bureau and my solicitor.
Please do not do anything until I receive advice from them. I believe you
are in breach of contract. I have a receipt that shows shipping and handling
at 11.99 which I have paid in full. You are not honoring your stated price.
I will get back to you next week.

Tina

>
Old 03-17-10, 06:52 PM  
RedPanda

Wow! My understanding is that they are completely in the wrong. They quoted you a price for shipping, you agreed to it - end of story. They can't now turn around and charge you $200 extra - no matter who screwed up.
Old 03-17-10, 07:12 PM  
Buzzer

I have to side with you too, Tina!! That's insane. I agree... when I pay for something, I agree to pay what they are offering. They tell me, I agree. That's all there is to it. It's kind of like you going back to them and asking to use a coupon you didn't apply to your order.. they'd say no!!!

BUT, as I've learned from these forums, Cathe.com is not exactly on the up & up when it comes to customer service. They are very much about themselves, and not the customer.

I'm totally annoyed for you. Especially for as much as you're spending, you'd think they'd give you a break. What a bunch of maroons.
Old 03-17-10, 07:20 PM  
PeakFitness

I actually would not be mad if it were me. It's disappointing, but it's not bad enough to make me mad b/c you can cancel the order if you don't want to pay the revised shipping. What really makes me mad are places that accept your payment then give you a hard time about getting your money back when they can't hold up their end. But Cathe.com doesn't seem to be giving you a hassle about a refund.
Old 03-17-10, 07:52 PM  
laurajhawk

I'm with you. They should honor the quoted price for you, then QUICK change their website so that it detects orders of this nature ... if they can't quote an accurate shipping rate they need to provide some weasel-words to the customer, like "We apologize that we cannot quote a shipping rate at this time. We will email within 24 hours with the rate, at which time you may cancel your order if you choose."

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
Old 03-17-10, 09:00 PM  
kali1

I'd tell them to take the 200.00 + and stuff it up their ***! This pisses me off!
Old 03-17-10, 10:06 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

$200!
How are they sending the order? That seems like excessive shipping costs to me.
I would be peeved, but if they are making you aware of the new shipping before finalizing your order, and you can easily cancel, then I don't think they've really done anything wrong (though, again, I don't see how shipping could cost so much, so maybe their choice of carrier is whack?)

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Old 03-18-10, 07:36 AM  
Hej

Hummm...

Didn't $11 seem a little... well... impossibly cheap at the time? Nothing aside from small, light things are ever shipped to Canada for $11 in my experience-- my high step shipping cost more than the price of the item when all was said and done, but I paid because I really wanted it. Even within Canada, it cost the purchase price again to have my slanted risers shipped from Quebec to Ontario.

If Cathe.com just sent the order and demanded payment of $200 that would be insane, and I'd fight that tooth and nail, if it were me. But in this situation, there's the option of paying or cancelling. I'd be okay with that, personally.
Old 03-18-10, 08:05 AM  
antbuko

Sounds to me like cathe.com doesn't want to do business with Canadians. That's outrageous. How can they possibly justify $235.60 in shipping charges?
Old 03-18-10, 09:42 AM  
mtngoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hej View Post
Hummm...

Didn't $11 seem a little... well... impossibly cheap at the time? Nothing aside from small, light things are ever shipped to Canada for $11 in my experience-- my high step shipping cost more than the price of the item when all was said and done, but I paid because I really wanted it. Even within Canada, it cost the purchase price again to have my slanted risers shipped from Quebec to Ontario.

If Cathe.com just sent the order and demanded payment of $200 that would be insane, and I'd fight that tooth and nail, if it were me. But in this situation, there's the option of paying or cancelling. I'd be okay with that, personally.
ITA. I have paid $12.50 to ship a single DVD from the States - I would have questioned $11 for something that weighs more than 105 lbs. I love a deal as much as the next person, but ...

Since they are giving you the option of canceling your order, I'd be disappointed but not angry (and wouldn't seek legal counsel).

You asked for our honest opinions - you're getting them! (And, yeah, it sucks to be in Canada and not be able to take part in all the great deals we're always reading about.)

Lori

Lacey (trying to convince Brent to take a Pilates class): C'mon Brent, don't you want to unify your mind and body?
Brent: Nah. I'm not gonna put all my eggs in one basket.
Corner Gas Season1 Episode 3 "Pilates Twist"

Tags
cathe.com