Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 12-09-10, 02:29 AM  
Susanq

Trading with VFers overseas

I've had great success with trading with dvds. Thank you to all those who I have traded with, I'm very happy with the trades. I was just curious why some people aren't keen on trading with VFers from overseas?
Old 12-09-10, 05:05 AM  
fitmommie

Thanks Susan for posting this.

I moved to Italy two years ago and have since stopped trading, as quite a few only want to trade "in the US". We are on a military base and our mail is still considered US mail, we use our U.S. Postal service just as we would in the States. Maybe I should give trading a try again, it's been since 2008, I miss it. So instead of trading, I have been buying and buying and buying....

"Live each moment like it's the last moment in your life."
- Jim MacLaren
Old 12-09-10, 05:22 AM  
RedPanda

I think that some VF'ers just find it difficult to get to the post office.

Once I asked for an SASE, and the donor didn't realise I was overseas and had to withdraw the offer because she had an argument with the woman at the post office and was scared to go back!

But hey - I'm always up for a trade!
Old 12-09-10, 05:27 AM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

No offense to overseas VF'ers, but I have put that clause on my list, when I had one up anyway. In my one experience shipping overseas (not just Canada which I do somewhat regularly), the shipping ($7) cost as much as it would be for me to have just bought a used copy of the DVD I was getting and, worse, it never arrived so the trader got nothing. My end came with the case so smashed that I practically poured it into the trashcan, but at least I received something.

I always tell myself that if something goes horribly wrong with an American trade I can fix it quickly with Amazon, but that isn't an easy or cheap option with an overseas trade. I just felt lousy about the whole thing and haven't traded much since; in fact I gave away a lot of my trade pile after that.
Old 12-09-10, 07:08 AM  
bubbles76

I have only had good experiences trading overseas. Once a case arrived smashed but that was an isolated incident. For the most part, I give priority to overseas traders, because I've read on here that it is so hard for them to get fitness DVDs. OR vendors charge ridiculous pricing for international shipping or our overseas VFers are hit with those duty charges.

That being said, I understand why some people do not want to trade overseas. One has to actually go to the post office and fill out the customs form. Since I have moved further away from the post office and my new job is no longer as lenient with lunch breaks as my old job (i could actually go to post office at lunch and still have time to eat lunch), it can be a hassle to get to the post office. I keep a stack of customs forms at home now Additionally, it can be way more expensive to ship overseas than in the states or to Canada (which is ridiculously cheap).

Third, there is more risk to ship overseas. If someone was trying pull a con overseas, most VFers would be hesitant to put them on the bad traders list. I believe most would be inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt that "something just went bad with the overseas mail". So that bad overseas trader would never get reported.

This is not to discourage anyone from trading overseas, as I do it all the time. Canada, Israel, Australia, Greece, India, and recently the Netherlands! I love looking at all the stamps and getting neat postcards from overseas. I also remember that overseas traders have to deal with the same hassles and risk as we do.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
Old 12-09-10, 07:17 AM  
little bird

It also takes longer to receive the dvd.
Old 12-09-10, 07:51 AM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

I've traded overseas and don't recall any problems. Yes, you do have to fill out a customs form, but I don't remember it being so time-consuming. If I can get to the PO to mail a US or Canadian trade/gift, I figure (for myself only BTW) I can get to the PO to mail overseas. And yes, it's more expensive than US/Canadian, but again, for me it's fine...our VFers overseas have a tough enough time getting some of the goodies we get so easily and cheaply.

I guess when you've been used to shipping all over the world thanks to having a husband and now a son-in-law in the military, shipping to another VFer doesn't seem such a big deal. That said, I understand others are not comfortable with the overseas mailings...we're just more used to doing it...
Old 12-09-10, 08:20 AM  
Just_Jo

I've only traded once overseas and it was a lovely transaction. I usually go to the post office for mailing trades anyway, so it's no different. It's a bit more expensive, but I guess I don't mind that. I can understand how difficult it might be for the overseas people to set up trades.

I've traded with Canadians a few times and I see it as no different.
Old 12-09-10, 08:55 AM  
shoegoddess

I've traded maybe 4 times overseas. I always go to the post office for trades because I mail with D.C. for U.S. trades so it's no big deal for me. I've traded to Italy (A.P.O. address), Ireland, Scotland and Canada. You have to fill out a customs form. The cost to mail isn't that much and it gives overseas VFers a change to trade. Worked out fine for me

I'm not a typical grandma!

Body by Cathe, Chalene and Dr. Niccole
-Me

A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Well-behaved women seldom make history
-Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Women are Angels
And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...we are flexible like that
-White Witch

Gotta love Maxine:
http://forum.videofitness.com/pictur...&pictureid=230
Old 12-09-10, 09:03 AM  
daisysunshine

I trade with anyone who wants to trade w/me

I don't know how it works in the states, but can't you grab a ton of custom forms at the desk and fill them out at home, and then just go to the post office and get them to stamp it and drop it? that's what i always do.

...right now you're saying, no i can't do this. you should know by now i don't train that way - Dasha Libin

offering the two tracey mallet dance workouts, pm me.

Tags
trade courtesy, trading