Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 01-30-05, 04:46 PM  
Liz N
VF Supporter

My thoughts on Anna Benson, Fitprime and some questions

As many of you know, I posted my thoughts awhile back about my personal reservations with Keli Roberts working with Anna Benson. I have had the opportunity now to see four Fitprime workouts, two which I thought were quite acceptable, one which was mediocre and one which was a real stinker (boy, I love reviewing these ones). When I say this, I am talking from an exercise physiology perspective - I am looking at the effectiveness of the moves, the sequencing/logic of the workout, the safety perspective, the cueing, the teaching and explanation of the workout etc etc. Does it work and can it be modified up and down?

Quite frankly I'm scratching my head that the same person can design workouts that vary so much in quality!

My question was what qualifications/certifications does Anna hold? My impressions from the workouts (even the better ones) is that her knowledge of core training isn't all that great, otherwise there would be more posture cues etc etc. The difference between Tracie Long's alignment and physique in the Fitprimes and the TLP's is marked - I can tell she has gone and done some homework on core training and it really shows.

My impressions of Anna's workouts, well the ones I thought were OK - Fast Cheetah and Strong Bear, is that with more education on her part, they could be made to be even better workouts.

What I like about Anna is her "get up and go" - she writes persuasively, which make her workouts sound appealing.

What I don't like is her making false claims - "Weights+Cardio+Yoga blend gives results three times faster than any other training method" (this is not true, I wish she had said "blends cardio, weights and yoga for an all over workout" (to me, this is acceptable, describes the workout nicely and doesn't make any false claims).

On Fast Cheetah, there is no oblique work that I can remember and no evidence of "oblique clams" or any other crustacean.

What bugs me the most is: "Floor Burn is a "Cellulite Buster" because periodic floor-cardio phases are utilized to increase fat burning and lymphatic circulation. That is an outright lie!

I think that Anna's marketing and claims are the reasons that I thought that Keli Roberts may have been making a mistake working with Anna (as I have never seen Keli make any of these type of claims).

I would love to hear your perspectives on this, especially on the qualifications side of things.

PS - is her ex Medical Mark? I had a few interesting debates with him in his short time on VF

"I believe your most attractive features are your heart and soul" Savage Garden

Looking for some fitness inspiration? Visit my blog - see profile
Old 01-30-05, 05:00 PM  
mbt

hi, liz! your thoughts are interesting, and now i'm wondering which fitprime you thought was the real stinker. as for anna's background, i've never heard of her having any certifications or official training, and i agree that that could point to some weaknesses in her workouts. in fact, the firm always relied on their own training for their instructors, so it doesn't seem like anybody at the firm, and maybe not whfn, was exposed to a lot of outside science. i didn't hear her claims about cellulite reduction with floorburn, but i know that she really hyped the lymphatic system support in selling g-force and the rebounders at fitprime.

medical mark, aka mark hendrikson, is anna's ex and was responsible for set and music issues and i believe all the scientific reports available from the firm and now whfn.

have you viewed the clips at www.whfn.com for anna's new workouts? i'd be interested to hear what you think, especially of the ones with keli roberts.
Old 01-30-05, 05:01 PM  
Marianne G
VF Supporter

Medical Mark is Anna's ex.

Marianne
Old 01-30-05, 05:05 PM  
isa

I appreciate your reviews and opinions, and the time you take to review these workouts. But I have to say I only see them as such: opinions/ a point of view of one person. Things arenīt black or white, even among experts or scientists there is considerable disagreement and discussion. For example: some experts say that certain yoga asanas are not safe (e.g. plow), some experts say you should press the lower back into the floor when engaging the core, others say we should engage the core while keeping the spine in itīs neutral position. These opinions also change over time. So I sincerely hope that people who enjoy Fitprime workouts, donīt quit doing them because they think they are bad.

I agree with you about some of the marketing being incorrect!

Femke
Old 01-30-05, 05:06 PM  
isa

And I donīt see what Medical Mark has to do with this, he wasnīt involved in the production of the Fitprime workouts.
Old 01-30-05, 05:10 PM  
horsemom2

new clip impressions

I saw some of the clips and really had the impression that Keli Roberts was having a tough time cueing while doing the workout? lots of gasping for air, etc. It just didn't click for me.
Also personally, I like the one-on-one feel of the original FitPrimes more than the old Firmlike class settings with the surrealistic background distractions.

Barb S
who emphasizes that these were my own personal impressions
Old 01-30-05, 05:12 PM  
Liz N
VF Supporter

isa

Yes, you're right, methodology does change over time. I am reviewing from the perpective of what is happening right now and am very happy to explain the reasoning behind my thoughts/recommendations.

As I mentioned in my first post, not all of the Fitprime workouts are stinkers (in my opinion ) and if other VFers like doing them, it's perfectly fine.

If there are better options (depending of course on what you want), then I think that's also worth mentioning. I believe there are better options for effective core work around, but that is not to say there is not a place for Fitprime in the market.

It's the way she markets her work that bothers me the most.

Old 01-30-05, 05:15 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Aren't "Fast Cheetah" and "Stong Bear" both lead by Tracie? (Lazy me could walk two feet over to my workout shelf and look...but they're in the back row!) I wonder to what extent they are better than the others because of her input? I've always thought that Tracie brought a lot to the Firm: the first Firm workouts that showed any well-choreographed and not "odd" cardio moves where the Tortoise and Hare workouts, both lead by Tracie.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Old 01-30-05, 05:17 PM  
Liz N
VF Supporter

Femke

Quote:
Originally Posted by isa
And I donīt see what Medical Mark has to do with this, he wasnīt involved in the production of the Fitprime workouts.
He is on the Fitprime forum though, isn't he? I was simply interested as to where he fits in to the Anna equation!

Old 01-30-05, 05:18 PM  
SharonH
VF Supporter

Liz, I'm curious, too, which you thought was the stinker and which one was okay. Strong Bear is my favorite of the bunch, although two movements made me wince (the standing kicks with leg weights and the jumping on the toes). I never had Fast Cheetah because I was worried that it would be similar to Steamin Cardio, which I really disliked, although I thought the instructor was very engaging.

Barb, Keli seems to have stamina problems in a lot of her cardio/weight workouts, but I still love her. By the way, thanks for the thread on the Kukuwa workouts. I was going to pre-order the WHFN workouts, but I may just spend the money on Kukuwa instead.

Tags
anna benson, fitprime