Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 05-15-11, 07:07 AM  
cooldham

How do you know you're doing a kettlebell swing correctly?

I bought a 20lb kettlebell and did my first swing workout yesterday. One of the main reasons I finally broke down and invested in a kettlebell is because everyone says it does such great things for your butt!

Well, I cannot do a kb video in my basement (ceiling is too low) so I watched a bunch of videos on youtube and read some threads here and then just went at it! My back is sore today (in a good way) but that might be b/c I threw some rows in there while I was catching my breath from the swings.

So, any form pointers for me? I tried to do 5 sets of 10 swings. I thought that was a good starting point...maybe I didn't do enough?
Old 05-15-11, 07:31 AM  
jaburke66

I'm learning from www.artofstrength.com -- look at their archives, they have tons. Tips: keep your back straight/flat -- no rounding at the bottom of the swing or arching at the top. Bell comes to about shoulder hight. Remember that swings come from your hips/glutes, not your arms or shoulders. Also, do them in no shoes at all or very flat soled shoes, not running shoes. I really focus on sitting "back" into the swing so that I don't bend from my back.

I bought Art of Strength Clinic and find it very useful and worth the $. Like having a session with Anthony DiLuglio.

There are lots of kb afficianados here, and I'm just starting, but that's what's working for me. Congrats on gettin' into the SWING of kb's!
Old 05-15-11, 07:51 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Timely thread! I'm interested to read everyone's opinions too. I've had Lauren's dvd for couple of years now, as well as the others, but never did anything with kbells. I am also intigued by the "lifted butt" and especially the "trimmed core" that everyone talks about, so I am giving it another try. I just bought Paul Katami's Kettlebell Drills and previewed it yesterday. He's got a clinic section where he shows you the basics and how to correctly execute the moves. I liked what I saw and I will give it a try this morning.
Old 05-15-11, 08:51 AM  
Snuckles

I'm interesting in this subject as well since I seem to ALWAYS build my quads doing kettlebell exercises. I keep going back to kettlebells thinking my results will be different each time but I tend to build my quads each and every time which makes me ask why do I like to continue banging my head against a wall . . .

E.T.A. after reading this thread http://kbforum.dragondoor.com/showth...16268&p=411285 I think I need to work on my form. I'm probably not push my hips back far enough to properly activate the posterior chain and also bending my knees too much.
Old 05-15-11, 09:07 AM  
wnt2bfirm

Tracy Reifkind , the queen of kettlebell swings will be releasing a "learn to swing" dvd through Dragondoor in a few weeks.
Old 05-15-11, 09:08 AM  
ldy_solana

i worked with a trainer for about a month. kind of wish i had him now as i am not sure about my snatch form. but most bellers advise with seeing a qualified teacher at least a couple sessions.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Old 05-15-11, 10:36 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

I just finished Paul Katami's clinic section on Kbell Drills dvd - for the first time. The clinic is terrific, but it just about killed me and I only used 10lb kbell. His instruction is clear and I really got a good workout from instructional section alone. I will have to do it several times before I can progress to the actual drills and heavier bells. This dvd is well worth the 19.98 I paid for it, and I'm looking forward to doing it again.
Old 05-16-11, 04:14 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldham View Post
I bought a 20lb kettlebell and did my first swing workout yesterday. One of the main reasons I finally broke down and invested in a kettlebell is because everyone says it does such great things for your butt!
I can totally believe it! I did my first kbell workout yesterday - just clinic from Paul Katami's dvd - 30min, and today my butt is ON FIRE! It hurts to sit down and stand up. Yes, I think working out with kettlebells can definitely do wonder for one's butt. I'm going to try doing kbell workout every other day for a while, and see what happens.
Old 05-16-11, 04:56 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

YOu should definitely feel like the moves is coming from the butt (make sure it's far enough back) and the hamstrings.

When I took a KB class from an RKC, I discovered that I needed to take my swing back farther between my legs. The imagery that helped me remember the position was thinking that I was pooping out the kettlebell (not an elegant image, by any means, but a memorable one!)

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Old 05-16-11, 05:09 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
YOu should definitely feel like the moves is coming from the butt (make sure it's far enough back) and the hamstrings.

When I took a KB class from an RKC, I discovered that I needed to take my swing back farther between my legs. The imagery that helped me remember the position was thinking that I was pooping out the kettlebell (not an elegant image, by any means, but a memorable one!)
Thanks! I will definitely NOT forget the imagery! I do feel it in my hamstrings, but mostly in my butt! Kbells should definitely shrink my butt!

Tags
kettlebell, kettlebell beginner, kettlebell swings, kettlebells for beginners, skogg kettlebell system, swings