Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 02-02-24, 10:11 AM  
donnamp

Jessica Smith - Your Best Year Yet - February Posted

FYI!

Jessica posted the first week of February's plan which is called "shred". It sounds like there will be more metabolic workouts this month.

I jumped into January late and I'm just finishing up the 4th week. I am pleasantly surprised at how much I'm enjoying it. I don't enjoy strength training as much as I enjoy cardio and fusion workouts, but I still know it is important to include. I really enjoyed the three strength workouts I did this week from Week 4! Jessica has really taken a different approach compared to her earlier strength workouts - these tend to move slower and with more focus on form and function. To me they almost have a mindfulness component to them - like you would get from Pilates or some other type of "body aware" practice.

So....my question for all of you out there who have done Build and Condition, do you think it would be best for me to go back and do those programs BEFORE continuing on with Your Best Year Yet?

I managed Week 4 of January's program without any issue but I'm wondering if I'm missing some foundational work by skipping through Build and Condition.

Jessica is really coming out with some good stuff, IMHO!

Take care,

Donna
Old 02-02-24, 03:34 PM  
psupam

I did both Build and Condition and am finishing up Strengthen. I think if you have experience in weight training you can go right to Strengthen.
Old 02-02-24, 05:15 PM  
Leonana

I’ve done it all and I agree. You would be fine with Strengthen. I think Condition also moves slower, but the workouts are shorter and it has more of the smaller muscles exercises. She uses the band more in Condition.
Old 02-02-24, 06:25 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I did not do Build or Condition (as a rotation) but have been doing strength training for years, with numerous instructors. I didn't feel like I (myself) needed a foundational program. But, there are times when a refresher is good.

I would immediately respond with, it depends on how comfortable you are with weight training. As you tend to prefer cardio workouts, maybe a foundational program is a good choice, whether Build or Condition. But, nothing says you have to, as it's totally your call!

I did do a few Build and Condition workouts (standalones) and they do move slower with more explanation. I enjoy band work, so would probably revisit some of those, depending on how long they take to setup. A gentler workout makes a great recovery day workout, also. You can add one per week (as an option) for a less intense workout.

As you previously said, it's nice how the Strengthen workouts are really slow and controlled. With the pace of these newer programs anyone can jump right in, really!

May Focus:
Miranda Esmonde-White Classical Stretch Season 9 (All Standing)
Sahra Esmonde-White Body Sculpting Series, Toning for Beginners, Ultimate Stretch workouts

Old 02-03-24, 08:49 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

I'll present a different view. (I have lots of strength training experience, fyi.) I was dabbling in the BUILD, CONDITION, FUSION, HOLIDAY collections. But when I revisited some of the BUILD workouts for a second time, I definitely noticed a difference in how I felt my accessory / stabilizer muscles. Those teeny tiny muscles that often don't get worked alone felt stronger and I had much better range of motion. So I decided to focus and do BUILD for a third time through. And then I'll do CONDITION. In the same manner: try to go through all the workouts 3x.

That being said, I often do two workouts a day - acknowledging that I usually do one at low intensity. When Jessica launches new workouts, I like to preview / rehearse them / take notes and do them at a lower intensity. So that kinda fulfills my desire for trying out the shiny new things.

In that vein, I did the SHED Metcon (light weights, only did 1 round of each circuit) and the Nature Walk. I absolutely love MetCon / 4-limb workouts. and I thought the SHED MetCon was well thought out. No useless movements. I hope she launches more MetCon workouts during February! I enjoyed the tempo of the Nature Walk. But I thought the moves were rather basic and several times I just did my own thing.

-Neita
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
Old 02-04-24, 05:42 PM  
donnamp

Thanks, everyone for your thoughts!

I am leaning towards beginning with Build - I did make it through the 4th week of YBYY - Strengthen, but I also feel there is benefit from building a strong foundation(no pun intended!). Jessica's latest newsletter said something to that effect and since I never completed Build, the workouts are still "new to me"

As of now, that is my plan, starting tomorrow!

Donna
Old 02-05-24, 01:25 AM  
Leonana

I’m using heavier weights and feel I can move up, which I never thought I could do. Perhaps it was the effect of the smaller muscle work. I didn’t focus on it as much as I should, but there was still a benefit.

Nieta, I can see how doing two workouts a day would enable you to really focus on them. I should try that when I’m not working during summer break.
Old 02-05-24, 12:32 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post

Nieta, I can see how doing two workouts a day would enable you to really focus on them. I should try that when I’m not working during summer break.
Yes, sometimes I hesitate posting about workouts. Because things I can do while retired are just not feasible for people with jobs. Good luck!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
Old 02-14-24, 03:49 PM  
zoegirl

Can you tell me more about this program (Your Best Year Yet)? I have been loving Jessica's yoga/pilates/barre/fusion workouts that I have on other DVDs. I know this program has strength/weights. Is there a calendar or rotation posted anywhere?
Old 02-14-24, 07:33 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

edited

Current Rotations:

Tags
aap, jessica smith, jessica smith streaming, your best year