Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 12-01-01, 02:39 PM  
ARTmethodfan
VF Supporter

Flooring for basement workout space

In the old forum, I started to read a thread about flooring for basement workout spaces but never got to print it!!!

Can anyone help with more info on this.

Thanks!
Old 12-01-01, 05:46 PM  
Leela
VF Supporter

I used foam blocks from stagestep.com

Hubby built me a floor to their specs, and I glued about 200 foam blocks under it. It works great, but isn't exactly portable or moveable!
Old 12-01-01, 08:02 PM  
lynnem3
VF Supporter

My workout space has carpet over concrete. I bought interlocking foam mats at Home Depot for about $50-60 and taped a 6x8 bound carpet with double-sided tape on top. To hold the whole thing in place, I put heavy dumbbells.

This setup absorbs shock, but provides no spring, so on higher impact moves it feels different than on a floor that gives a lot.
Old 12-02-01, 08:01 AM  
ARTmethodfan
VF Supporter

I think this is the stuff that I remember reading about. Off to Home Depot I go. It's my second favorite place to shop and first is right in from of my computer at Collage!!!

Thanks!
Old 12-02-01, 08:11 AM  
Carrie

Exclamation

Hi Nat,

I bought several horse stall mats, which are excellent for absorbing impact. If you don't find what you need at Home Depot, check out the mats at your nearest farm store.

Carrie
Old 12-02-01, 05:22 PM  
Jeanne Marie

Home Depot!!

I just created a workout space in my basement. Of course the floors are concrete and I had a heck of time deciding what to put down over that concrete that would absorb impact enough.
I started out purchasing enough of the foam block flooring from Home Depot to cover a 12' x 12' space. It was a perfect sized area and I thought I was set. Well, the first time I jumped up and down ala Volume 4, I knew that wasn't enough cushioning for my joints.
Soooo..... I went back to Home Depot and bought more of the squares.....this time enough to double up an area that is large enough for my workout.... probably about 8' x 10'. So, in this area, I am working out on two layers of the flooring. That was the ticket. It has worked beautifully. No problems with impact at all. Oh, and BTW, I paid $15.84 for a pack of 4 blocks, and the blocks measure 2' x 2'.
Hope this helps!
Jeanne
Old 12-02-01, 05:29 PM  
ARTmethodfan
VF Supporter

That sounds perfect!!!!! Thanks a bunch.