Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 09-28-11, 12:38 PM  
MJ525

Where would you start with kettlebells?

The Kettlebell Revolution with Missy Beaver or Lauren Brooks Body Sculpt and Conditioning.

I was also looking at Reinhardt Kettlebell System and Kettlworks any advice on anything kettlebell will be appreciated.

I've been wanting to try for awhile, but the programs are pricey so I want something for beginners and also something I can grow with.

What size kettlebell should I start with?
Old 09-28-11, 12:48 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Hi! I am new to kettlebells myself; just started in the past month.

What's your level of fitness? I'm a high intermediate exerciser who works out 6-7 days per week, so I jumped in at a bit higher level than someone else might have been able to. I had originally planned to purchase a 10 lb. KB, but I think that would have been way too light for me. What helped me a lot was first practicing KB moves with a dumbbell--I basically just did swings (after watching lots of online tutorials), starting with 10 lbs. and then quickly moving to 15 lbs. Based on this, I decided to purchase a 8 kg (18 lg) KB. I think if you can practice a bit with a dumbbell ahead of time, you will get a feel for how much weight you can handle.

My first DVD was actually Angie Miller's Kettlebell Bootcamp. Not everyone would recommend this because it is more of a "fusion" kettlebell workout, but I enjoy it, and it was nice b/c it also helped me to bridge the gap between using a dumbbell first then moving to a kettlebell. Yesterday I tried Anthony & Beth's "A New Providence" for the first time--I loved it, but it was tough! However, it has a great tutorial section, so I would definitely recommend it to someone who is new to KBs (but who is an experienced exerciser). I also definitely think I can grow with this one.

Another VFer is loaning me Lauren's DVD this week. She is supposed to have great form, so I am looking forward to trying her. However, I'm guessing that I won't like her actual workout as much, as she incorporates body weight moves such as mountain climbers--I hate those! So I am glad to be able to just try her on loan to perfect my form.

Hope this helps!

ETA: Be sure to check out all of the great FREE online tutorials out there as well as the Everything Kettlebells thread here on VF!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
Old 09-28-11, 12:54 PM  
MJ525

I'm an intermediate exerciser I have been working out for years, but I have (holds head in shame) 90lbs to lose. I wanted something that combined cardio/strength and that was easy on the joints and low impact, from what I have rerad kettlebells seems to fit the bill.
Old 09-28-11, 01:04 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

MJ, my weight was in normal range, but I lost 4 lbs in a month--4 stubborn lbs that I put on last winter after starting a new med and had NOT been able to take off.

I'm not usually a bandwagon person--I had not interest in KBs for a long time--but I am a KB believer now! They appeal to me b/c I am not a fan of cardio; I like to feel strong.

I'm not into systems, but check out some of the other threads--I think I remember people saying that they preferred Skogg to RKS for those just starting out. Good luck!!!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
Old 09-28-11, 01:05 PM  
Breezy Trousers

Two years ago I started with a 15 lb. Go Fit kettlebell and Lauren Brook's first DVD. If I had to do it over, I would start the same way again. I discovered I loved kettlebells and have been taking RCK classes at a studio ever since.

IMO, you won't regret the Lauren Brooks purchase.
Old 09-28-11, 01:33 PM  
bee1forfitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ525 View Post
I was also looking at Reinhardt Kettlebell System and Kettlworks any advice on anything kettlebell will be appreciated.
What size kettlebell should I start with?
I wouldn't start with RKS, I really like RKS, but In my opinion it's not good for beginners. Kettlewox is a BIG NO, please don't waste your money !!!

I like Live Fit Revolution Great for beginners, it free, instructed by a RKC instructor, video included demo all Kettlebell lifting moves done in the daily workouts, a good mean plan included (sent by email) with weekly cardio challenges, and lots of motivation support.

The you might begin with a kettlebell between 12-18#, with Kettlebells you can lift heavier than what you may have lifted with dumbbells, because you'll be using your entire body, not isolating individual muscles
Old 09-28-11, 01:46 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

I didn't mean to love or even tried Kettlebell. I traded for Athletica. Love those exercises -- they are kettlebell-like, except done with dumbells. I would start there first before investing in kettlebells. I decided I really like 'fusion' type Kettlebells, prefer lighter weights (my highest KB wt is 20 lb).
Old 09-28-11, 03:09 PM  
caligurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy Trousers View Post
IMO, you won't regret the Lauren Brooks purchase.
ditto this!
it is NOT against the rules to say DIET on this forum!
-----
"VFers have a right to post negative opinions about an instructor,
and there is not a limit on the number of times they do so".
- WWWendy

-----
"...no matter how unpopular you perceive your opinion to be, we guarantee you
are not the only one here who holds that opinion, and you should feel free to express it."
- WWWendy via forum guidelines
Old 09-28-11, 04:19 PM  
KathAL79

One thing worth doing is looking through some of the other threads by and for people looking for more information on how to get into kettlebells. Your best bet are the tag searches for kettlebell beginner, kettlebell beginners, and kettlebells for beginners, which will more or less pull up the same threads.
Don't forget the Everything Kettlebells thread; it's a few years old, so it doesn't have a lot of the most recent videos, but the recommendations on what weight to start with (8 kg for the average woman, 12 kg for the advanced woman; 12 kg for the average man, 16 kg for the advanced man) still hold up.

I don't have the Missy Beaver, but Lauren Brooks' Vol. 1 is very good. (Do wait on Vols. 2 and especially 3 until you've had some experience in kettlebell training.)

Note that Kettleworx is a different type of kettlebell training than the others you mentioned. You can find out more about it in these threads; if you're willing to wade through many more threads, check out these.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
Old 09-28-11, 05:02 PM  
cardiomama

When I started out w/ KBs, I really clicked w/ Lauren's Vol. 1. But it's not cheap, and only has 2 workouts (plus the instructional & a good joint mobility warm-up). After having used MB45 Essentials set (has 2 beginner workouts, 3 other KB workouts, 1 bodyweight workout, warm-up & instructional), I would highly recommend trying it over Lauren's (and I really like all of Lauren's workouts & use them often). The MB45 Essentials price is very cheap (on sale, $14.95), and has so much content w/ solid instruction (and similar to Lauren's w/ a mix of bodyweight & KB exercises). Each workout has some similar exercises but sequenced a bit differently, you can also change the focus by using different size bells, reducing/increasing rests, complete 2 workouts vs. 1 or repeat or skip a set/s (change rep scheme).

Tags
kettlebell, kettlebell beginner, kettlebell beginners, kettlebells for beginners