Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Vendor Comments/Reviews
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 05-17-10, 07:04 PM  
Wanda
VF Supporter

Polar HRM repair problems

Hi all, just wanted to post my experience with trying to get my Polar F4 watch repaired. I've had it 13 months and the left side button cracked.

After paying $9 to send it in to Polar 10 days ago I got a bill today for over $20 to replace the battery. The battery was fine and I hadn't asked them to replace it. Also there was no mention about the warranty work to repair the button.

My only way to communicate with Polar is email since their customer service is only open 8:45 to 5:15 EST, M to F. I'm west coast. I can't call or chat any other time but 5:45 am, about the time I'm starting my get ready to go to work routine.

When my watch broke I debated just replacing it with the $35 watch from Buy.com but decided to go this route since the warranty work *should* be free, all but for my mailing it to them. Wow! Was I wrong.

This was my first and last Polar watch, btw. I'd had a Cardiosport for years and years before it gave out but they don't seem to be made anymore. I'll give Polar a few days to sort this out and if they don't I'll be replacing the watch rather than send them $20 for a battery I didn't need or ask for.

Thanks for reading my vent!
Old 05-18-10, 01:53 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

wow - thanks for the details. if you used your credit card, and polar doesn't resolve it to your satisfaction, i'd file a dispute w/the credit card co.

let us know what happens.

i have a polar and so far i've only needed to change the battery in the wrist watch portion; chest strap is still good.

i looked into the buy.com deal both on the buy.com site and via amazon, but the shipping is outrageous for hawaii.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 05-18-10, 09:02 AM  
SpiritYogi

That would tick me off too!! My Polar HRM just died and rather than send the strap in for battery replacement, I decided to buy a new one -- one that allows me to change both the watch and strap battery.

I live in PA so if you want to PM me with all the details, I can call them on your behalf if they don't respond or resolve this issue via email communication.
Old 05-18-10, 01:46 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena View Post
one that allows me to change both the watch and strap battery..
what brand and model did you buy, and where did you buy it, how much, etc.? thanks and sorry for the nosey questions.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 05-18-10, 02:09 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I was underwhelmed by the service from Polar when my old HRM broke. I can't remember the details, b/c my DH dealt with it, but we ended up buying a new one. Which, I suppose, is why they make it a hassle to repair.
Old 05-18-10, 03:23 PM  
SpiritYogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
what brand and model did you buy, and where did you buy it, how much, etc.? thanks and sorry for the nosey questions.
I bought the ProForm that was recently on sale and posted here:

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=148271

The watch is a bit big for my tiny wrist, but other than that I love it!!
Old 05-18-10, 06:49 PM  
Wanda
VF Supporter

Here's my no-news update. I haven't rec'd a reply to my email yesterday to Polar. Nada. Dena, you're so nice to offer to call for me. But I just realized I'll be able to call them next Thursday if I haven't got this resolved by then. I work as an aide at a school and next Wednesday is the last day of school. Wow, the year is flying by!

At any rate I've decided not to pay the $20, especially since I don't know that the original problem has been fixed. If Polar doesn't come through I'll either get the Buy.com HRM or a Timex I found on Amazon for @ $50. Both will come with a new chest strap with a user replacable battery so I'll be coming out ahead. From what I've read my strap probably has about a year left before it needs to be replaced at $40. And here's a hoot: If you send in the old strap you get $5 of the replacement. Well, hey, it cost me $9 to mail in the watch! What would the strap cost??

Dena, glad to hear you like the Buy.com HRM. Does it tell you the total amt. of time your in your aerobic zone and is the calorie count realistic? Those are the only 2 extra features I really care about. The max and avg HR was nice on the F4 but not must haves.
Old 05-18-10, 08:00 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena View Post
I bought the ProForm that was recently on sale and posted here:

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=148271

The watch is a bit big for my tiny wrist, but other than that I love it!!
oh - i did look into that one, but buy.com has super high shipping to hawaii.

Old 05-19-10, 08:32 AM  
SpiritYogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda View Post
Dena, glad to hear you like the Buy.com HRM. Does it tell you the total amt. of time your in your aerobic zone and is the calorie count realistic? Those are the only 2 extra features I really care about. The max and avg HR was nice on the F4 but not must haves.
I haven't had time to play with it much, but I can tell you that it does tell you the amount of time in your aerobic zone. As far as the calorie counter goes, I honestly don't bother with that since it's not a concern of mine so I can't tell you how accurate it is. I use mine just to track my heart rate.
Old 05-19-10, 08:33 AM  
SpiritYogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
oh - i did look into that one, but buy.com has super high shipping to hawaii.
If you want to purchase it and have it sent to my house, I'd be more than happy to send it on to you in Hawaii, via whatever method you prefer, if it would save you shipping costs.