Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Questions about using this Forum software
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 08-26-13, 02:52 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

search function - when the words you want are 3 letters or less

i'm having trouble looking up forum threads or posts about:

hip hop abs

all three words are 3 letters, and the search engine on VF doesn't like 3 lettered search terms. even when i put an asterisk, it assumes i want words "greater than" hip, hop or abs, but not "less."

any ideas? i know there's gotta be threads about it. i tried using shaun's name plus words from some of the workouts in HHA, but the workouts titles have such generic words in them (like burning, cardio, sculpt, total, body, burn, etc.)

the search engine still considers "hip hop abs" the same as hip hop abs (instead of one discreet term, it breaks it into 3 individual terms that are all 3 letters long).

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 08-26-13, 03:51 AM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Go to google.com, type in "site:videofitness.com hip hop abs" or put the hip hop abs part in parentheses.

It usually works like magic for me and in this case will even pull up a tag search for threads tagged with hip hop abs (in addition to general discussion results) so you don't even have to do a separate tag search!

HTH

ETA: When you click on search in the menu bar, there should be an option for "tag search" above the "advanced search" option. "Hip hop abs" will pull up all threads tagged with that phrase but sometimes google finds additional threads that were not tagged so I usually do both.
Old 08-28-13, 08:43 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

ok - i'll try that. thanks!

p.s. i've tried a similar tactic, but using metacrawler as the search engine instead of just google.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 08-28-13, 10:51 PM  
laurajhawk

Also try the VF tag search.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
Old 10-15-13, 01:37 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
Also try the VF tag search.
this one worked, but is limited to threads actually tagged.

the google one only took you to the reviews section.

thanks anyway!

Old 10-15-13, 01:57 PM  
ARTmethodfan
VF Supporter

When I google "hip hop abs videofitness.com" I get a list of discussion threads from the forum.
Old 10-15-13, 02:51 PM  
WWWendy
Community Manager

I have added the words "hip" "hop" and "abs" to the exceptions list so they will be indexed, but that only works for future threads, isn't retroactive.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.

Tags
tag search