Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 01-05-24, 01:41 PM  
Tammie M

Grief Process

I think the VF community is in the grief process now. There seems to be a lot of anxiety and sadness in the community. VF as we know it is on it's last leg. This is deja vu for me, except I was on the other side of the fence. In my last job, I was responsible for supporting a very complex system that was created with software that had since become obsolete. It was a full time job for one person. Obsolete software does not play well with new software and hardware. It constantly required workarounds to keep it limping along. And large databases become very difficult to maintain. Migration to a new system was a major multiyear project. And to be honest there were design flaws in the orginal system since there is no perfect system. So we decided instead of just migrating we would start with a clean slate and design a new system. Actually that was the easiest solution. Our clients thought they were totally dependent on the original system and could not live without it. When we rolled out the new system they quickly adapted.
Old 01-05-24, 02:48 PM  
OSusanna

This is very well said.

I am a member of another forum that has long-term members and which is also dealing with issues regarding age and functionality. Recently a long-term member passed unexpectedly. it was a jolt to that discussion board, and there was a lot of discussion on how impactful these types of websites are to the members and to the people who post and engage using the platform day after day. I think the VF platform has allowed for great human interaction over other platforms (such as Reddit) and I think our members have been very thoughtful about how we engage with each other over the years.

I will be sad to see VF go. When new people have difficulty joining or posting, I really think that that is making this board exclusive and I really prefer inclusivity. 10 years ago when I joined I had difficulty getting my membership accepted.

How could I turn my grief into Something more productive? Maybe I should be posting on VF roost? Or maybe I should join a check-in that’s there if there is one? How would we transition to VF roost or another product?

This is video fitness, but there aren’t very many good discussion boards around general fitness activities.

I wonder if discussion boards in general are just going away in all subjects.
Old 01-05-24, 04:41 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammie M View Post
I think the VF community is in the grief process now. There seems to be a lot of anxiety and sadness in the community. VF as we know it is on it's last leg. This is deja vu for me, except I was on the other side of the fence. In my last job, I was responsible for supporting a very complex system that was created with software that had since become obsolete. It was a full time job for one person. Obsolete software does not play well with new software and hardware. It constantly required workarounds to keep it limping along. And large databases become very difficult to maintain. Migration to a new system was a major multiyear project. And to be honest there were design flaws in the orginal system since there is no perfect system. So we decided instead of just migrating we would start with a clean slate and design a new system. Actually that was the easiest solution. Our clients thought they were totally dependent on the original system and could not live without it. When we rolled out the new system they quickly adapted.
Interesting viewpoint!

Were you able to keep your clients informed of the upcoming changes?

Part of our sadness and grief is confusion that we have no communication or information.

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 01-05-24, 06:48 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSusanna View Post

How could I turn my grief into Something more productive? Maybe I should be posting on VF roost? Or maybe I should join a check-in that’s there if there is one? How would we transition to VF roost or another product?

This is video fitness, but there aren’t very many good discussion boards around general fitness activities.
I plan to process it all by posting as often as I can and wherever I can to stay in contact as long as possible with my fellow VFers.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
Old 01-05-24, 07:16 PM  
Camember

I intend to be active both in VF and VF Rooster as I love both
Old 01-05-24, 09:42 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Tammie, you're right, it is a form of grief. I don't know how I will feel the day VF is gone, but it will be like the end of an era.

When I couldn't get into VF to post the New Year's Day Marathon thread, I felt so sad. When I finally was able to get in and post the thread, it was a huge sense of relief. So I know it's going to be hard when VF is gone.

Luckily, we have some other options to stay connected if or when it happens.
Old 01-06-24, 08:46 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I just can't/won't accept that VF will no longer be part of my life - eventually.
Old 01-06-24, 10:14 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Tammie, thanks for thank acceptance. You are right, our reaction to possible losing VF has all the hallmarks of a grief response - e.g., depression, denial, anger, bargaining ... and perhaps eventually acceptance.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
Old 01-06-24, 10:14 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
I plan to process it all by posting as often as I can and wherever I can to stay in contact as long as possible with my fellow VFers.
That's my mission as well!
-Neita
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
Old 01-06-24, 10:28 AM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSusanna View Post

I wonder if discussion boards in general are just going away in all subjects.
I think it takes time to adjust. I’ve been posting at VF Roost. At first, it wasn’t as enjoyable, it’s a different type of forum than I’m used to. However, the more I post there, the more I get used to it and the more familiar it feels. I’m enjoying my interactions there. I’ll still miss VF, but I feel there is something as good to replace it.

Tags
abandonware, data privacy, forum alternative, forum issues, privacy, tapatalk, vf roost, vf roost forum, vf site issues