Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 11-24-01, 08:43 AM  
jaj999
VF Supporter

Body bar question

What's a good weight for a body bar? The local sports authority just got them, so of course I want one. They have 9,12, 15 and 18 pounds. 15 seems like a good weight, but then I remember that I have two (yes two) barbell bars that each weigh 15 lbs. So I can't decide whether to go heavier or lighter.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-24-01, 09:39 AM  
Jane C
VF Supporter

Judy...

When I was at the gym almost everyone used 12 lb body bars (the blue ones) for everything.

I really depends on your strength, and what you want to use the bodybar for. There are several bodybar tapes that use the bar as a sort of pilates add on for core work. I use a very light bar for that kind of stuff.

On the other hand, I find even my 18 lb bodybar next to useless as a weight add-on for lowerbody traditional strength training, i.e., lunges, squats, etc.

My final point, for added confusion , is that I can't use more than 12 lbs for alot of shoulder and tricep work.

I have a 4, 10, 12, 15 and 18. I use them all! (sigh).

Come, come, whoever you are.
Wanderer, idolator, worshipper of fire,
come even though you have broken your vows a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.
Ours is not a caravan of despair.

Rumi
Old 11-24-01, 09:47 AM  
WendyB
VF Supporter

I have two Body Bars, one 15# and one 24#. I love my 15# one and use it the most. I absolutely hate my 24# one because it is very large to grip (it's a 4 foot bar--if I'd have gone with 6' it would have been a narrower grip). For many of the tapes out there, a 9# or 12# bar seems to be what is used. If I could do it over again, I'd have gotten a 9# or 12# bar instead of my heavier one. It depends on what you want to use it for though. I do use my heavier bar for leg presses or lower body work, but that's about all. I just don't like to grip it. For a second bar, I'd recommend a 15# or 18# one. Since you have two barbells that weigh 15#, you might want to go with the 18# one.

"The ideal day never comes. Today is ideal for him who makes it so."
-– Horatio W. Dresser

Attitude is Everything!
Old 11-27-01, 06:20 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Hi Judy

I love your avatar!

I have every body bar up to 24 lbs. I use the 15 lb. the most, and then the 9 lb. I think the 12 isn't too different from the 15, so since you already have two 15-lb. bars, you might want to try a different weight. The 24 isn't practical for too many exercises, and I agree that it is fat and not easy to hold. I use it mainly for chest presses.
Old 11-27-01, 08:25 PM  
jaj999
VF Supporter

Thanks everyone (Abbe - I love my genie too). I guess I'll start with the 12lb. I know I'll end up with a 15lb (and an 18? and a 9?) one eventually - its shorter so its different, right? See, I don't need VFers to spend my money, I do fine on my own.
Old 12-02-01, 09:46 PM  
elisas
VF Supporter

How about PRO Bars?

Hm, I'm late arriving to this thread. Maybe I should post a new one, but here goes:

Anyone familiar with the P.R.O. bars sold at fitnesswholesale.com? How to they compare to Body Bars--they are much less expensive which is a nice plus for starters....

Thanks!
Old 12-02-01, 11:27 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

Challange P.R.O. Bars

I have one and I love it. I think they are a teensy bit thicker than the same weight body bar brand bar, but compare favorably. I lurve mine!!!
Old 12-02-01, 11:43 PM  
Jane C
VF Supporter

Thumbs up I have the PRO bars too

I love them, and would definitely recommend purchasing them over the MUCH more expensive (silly expensive) bodybars.

My only caveat is that they are all black, and while the weight is written in magic marker on a label, that quickly fades. I have 3 (12, 15, 18) and have been know to get the 15 and 18 confused - of course I could probably relabel on my own, or put some colored tape on, etc.

Come, come, whoever you are.
Wanderer, idolator, worshipper of fire,
come even though you have broken your vows a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.
Ours is not a caravan of despair.

Rumi
Old 12-02-01, 11:45 PM  
cathgpo
VF Supporter

Karen Voight's bars

I have a bar I got off Karen Voight's site that I like a lot. It is like a 12 lb. body bar, with mushy things on the end where you can add extra soft 1 or 2 lb. weights. So far, I haven't needed to make another purchase, but once I need something a lot heavier, above 18 lb., I guess I would buy a body bar to supplement. I thought this was a nice way to make the body bar a little more adjustable.

Catherine
Old 12-03-01, 01:26 AM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

Re: I have the PRO bars too

Quote:
Originally posted by Jane C
My only caveat is that they are all black, and while the weight is written in magic marker on a label, that quickly fades. I have 3 (12, 15, 18) and have been know to get the 15 and 18 confused - of course I could probably relabel on my own, or put some colored tape on, etc.
They've recently changed their labeling to color coded labels like the body bars, so the 9# label is pink, the 12# blue, etc. It makes it easier not to get them mixed up.