Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 11-07-23, 11:43 AM  
sugar rose

Do you make your own yogurt?

Hi everyone! Does anyone make yogurt? What recipe(s) do you use, and what equipment, if any? Do you usually have good success?

When I lived on the east coast I had success making yogurt, but then when I moved to Texas, somehow it just never turned out well. Was the water different? Were the cows eating different food? I don't know!

All replies are appreciated

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

William Shakespeare, Hamlet
Old 11-07-23, 12:29 PM  
Jennifer P.
VF Supporter

Could it be that the weather is hotter? I don't know if you are using a machine or if the (perhaps) hotter weather would contribute to the final result if you used a machine in hotter weather. I used to make yogurt when I drank regular milk, but I was very lazy about it and it always was very runny--which was okay because I would freeze it with strawberries & bananas & grape nuts. I have been wanting to try & make soy yogurt, but I haven't gotten up the courage to do it yet. I have read that the only soy milk to use is the kind that has only soybeans & water as its ingredients.

Let's keep this beautiful planet & all its wonderful creatures alive!
Old 11-07-23, 01:55 PM  
bubbles76

Are you at a higher elevation?
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
Old 11-07-23, 02:47 PM  
sugar rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Are you at a higher elevation?
No, pretty much same elevation, I think...

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Old 11-07-23, 02:57 PM  
sugar rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer P. View Post
Could it be that the weather is hotter? I don't know if you are using a machine or if the (perhaps) hotter weather would contribute to the final result if you used a machine in hotter weather. I used to make yogurt when I drank regular milk, but I was very lazy about it and it always was very runny--which was okay because I would freeze it with strawberries & bananas & grape nuts.
(1) The yogurt maker I used was old-fashioned - basically small glass jars on a hot plate that would keep the jars at the right Goldilocks temperature (if it's too hot, it kills the culture; if too cold, it won't grow.) I never thought the hot weather would affect it, but who knows.

(2) So - you would mix the yogurt, fruit and grape nuts and freeze it all together? And then eat it frozen?

(3) Why did you stop drinking regular milk?

(4) What kind of yogurt maker did you use?

Old 11-08-23, 08:24 AM  
buffmama

I've made soy yogurt in an Instapot. It turned out as expected. I probably used off the shelf yogurt as my starter since it was the cheapest way to go.

Tags
off topic, off-topic, yogurt