Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear > Shoes/Equipment/Gear FAQ's
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 03-18-03, 07:51 PM  
erin b
VF Supporter

Cyclists - help me spend my money

After all I know that this whole community is just one big group of shopping enablers

Help me figure out what I need to purchase in my foolish quest to ride in the Seagull Century (Cleda will note that I did not say finish).

I have -

bike
helmet
indoor trainer

my bike is very plain. Here it is:
http://www.norco.com/bikes/2002bikes/vermont.htm
Mine is a 2002 as pictured on that page but one that looks like mine is in the 2003 photo:
http://www.norco.com/bikes/2003bikes/vermont.htm

I need stuff for indoor riding on the trainer as it is just barely spring here and the roads are disgustingly covered in debris. I was sort of thinking of spinnervals . but other suggestions are very welcome.

I will need stuff for outdoor riding (hopefully) soon. I hope to train obviously, but also go on rides with my young kids. So I think I will need some way of carrying stuff. An air pump? Water bottle and holder? Things to hold my glasses on? Padded shorts - yuch!!! or padded underwear. Are fenders a good idea? I really am clueless as you can probably all tell. All I had as a teenager riding all over Vancouver was a little mousetrap like thing on top of my back fender that held things on it witha bungee cord.

And later on I will possibly need stuff for actually riding long distances , like say somewhere in Maryland. Zero thoughts on this one from me.

HELP!

Erin
Old 03-18-03, 09:49 PM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

What about clipless pedals with shoes and cleats?

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
Old 03-18-03, 10:07 PM  
AcademiaNut
VF Supporter

Well....

Since you asked......

I have two bikes, for two distinctly different purposes. For my commuting to work, riding around town, bike, I have panniers for holding stuff. After losing student papers all over the bike path a few years ago, I saw the light on this one. This bike has fenders -for two reasons. One, to hold the panniers -although someone has probably figured out a way around this. Secondly, if you ride in the rain, fenders prevent that oh-so-becoming line of wetness right smack up your butt crack :rolleyes: I don't know how old your kids are, but when ours were little we had a lot of fun with the burley -a bike trailer to hold kids.

My good bike has NOTHING extra, to keep the weight down. No fenders, no kick stand.... no nothing. Well, there's a water bottle holder on the frame. My husband uses a camel pack, which is a water-backpack thingie.

I don't do padded shorts. The mind shudders at the image However, I did invest in a different seat for my good bike -one that has padding placed for a woman's hips. What a thought.

Another frivolous thing we both did was to get good prescription sunglasses. For some reason, on really long bike rides, my contacts get uncomfortable and my glasses were annoying me.... I haven't gotten a strap to hold them on, but that might be useful.

For the trainer, I just listen to music. So, I have a portable CD player with a little pack to hold it -but that's hardly specialty equipment. I just bought, but haven't yet tried, a workout CD by Sean O'Malley. I'll let you know what I think.

Good luck and have fun!
Andrea
Old 03-18-03, 11:01 PM  
Elaine P.
VF Supporter

Comfort is key. If you don't like the padded shorts -- consider a padded seat, or a seat that with a specially cut hole for a woman's comfort. :rolleyes: Mine is by Terry and is called the "Butterfly." It makes a difference, believe me! I've also seen "looser" shorts that are padded. Or consider a padded "undershort" and wear looser shorts on top of that.

There is stuff called "Chamois Butter" that supposedly reduces the friction on your butt during long rides.

Other things you might want to consider: a "bento box" to carry snacks while you ride. A miniature tool kit and pump (I assume there will be sag support).

Bike jerseys usually have pockets in the back to carry snacks, etc. as well.

Good luck!

--Elaine P.
Old 03-19-03, 04:59 AM  
nancy c
Tri-ing!

mirror

Erin, I've tried a few different mirrors and this one is my favorite. I'm lost without it.

http://www.terrybicycles.com/BPA/7402600.lasso
Old 03-19-03, 06:27 AM  
ScooterChick
Registered

I'm new at this too...

I'm relatively new at this too, and here's what I've found useful, and what I suspect I will find useful:

bike gloves with gel pads inside.
clipless pedals & cleats (these are tough to get used to...get knee pads for the falling)
a wedge (little bag for under the seat). Bring food for long rides! Also don't forget money, keys, cell phone...
a bike pump for your house

Also...
extra tubes, tires, patch kit, portable pump (if you're willing to learn how to change a flat...my LBS has classes, which I will take this week after my girlfriend and I both got flats somewhere and had to have a stranger drive us to the subway. Even if there is support, it's good peace of mind on training rides.)
Bike tool...assume it is useful for changing flats, I'll find out soon...
Camel bak water pack...I'm really not good yet at drinking/eating on bike.

Now that I'm posting I can't see where you live, but I've been amazed at my tolerance for cold while running/biking outside this past winter. When I went shopping for clothes, I was looking at light ski jackets. The shop folks kept telling me..."all you need is this shell (i.e., little windbreaker) and these layers (i.e. long sleeve t-shirts)." C'mon! No way I'm going to go outside in a couple of t-shirts and a windbreaker in 25-30 degree weather! But I did, and it was fine. I bought hats for running & neck warmers, all that, and barely used them. So you may have more outside time than you're planning. If you're new to biking...you're going to want it. You'll need to both get used to your bike geometry (trainer is good for that) and improve your handling (outside, or using rollers).
Old 03-19-03, 08:25 AM  
SuzanneM
VF Supporter

Nashbar!!

I love this site (www.nashbar.com) and they have pretty good sales. I must have gloves when I cycle or spin - can't stand my sweaty hands slipping off the handlebars. I also got my cycling shoes from Nashbar and love them!

Spinervals are a must for indoor training. Right, Nancy?? If you want to start with just two; Suffer-O-Rama and Uphill Grind are my favorites.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Old 03-19-03, 08:30 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Erin....

This warms the cockels of my heart!!!

And Please... make no mistake -- if you do come down for the Seagull Century, you WILL complete it. Remember, the pie stop isn't till mile 80 and after that, it's just plain fun!!!!!

So, you've had good advice so far. The main thing is comfort and EVERYONE is different. I freeze on my bike, so a shell in 25 to 30 degree weather, would not work for me. You will find me out in a jacket, vest, turtleneck running shirt, sports top, and BIKE jersey in 50 degree weather! I also carry my head gator, for my neck and ears. Nothing worse then cold ears (for me.) Now, my partner will tell you.. nothing worse then cold fingers. I'm ok with that.... rarely use my gloves.

Key is wicking material. You will sweat on the bike, whether it's 10 degrees or 100 degrees and you don't want that sweat to sit against your body for the downhills or when there's a breeze. It will freeze you! Sooooooo make sure that you get "exercise" (preferrably bike) specific clothing. The new materials are simply phenominal. Really! And dress in layers. Alot of the convenient running/biking stuff (I find they double nicely), can store in itself! Daphne had a wonderful jacket (windbreaker type?) that could fold into itself and became a tiny little purse (about 6 x 4 inches maybe???) .... really neat!

You really do want to learn to go clipless (if you can) ... At the very least cages. You want your leg and hamstrings to be efficient ..... You don't want any wasted energy.....

What alot of people don't realize is fueling the body (for long rides!) ... GU is a magical carbohydrate gel, that's just wonderful! I use the chocolate one (like cake frosting....) and it's as close to REAL chocolate as I get on WW! Hydrate, hydrate and hydrate some more. Once you think you've had enough, hydrate even more. And on the long bike rides (usually, not everybody) ..... will need a sports drink, be it Gatorade, CytoMax or whatever. I suffer from leg cramps if I don't have the right balance and BELIEVE ME ~~ They are not pleasant. I'd rather keep everything in balance. This also means getting adequate water THE DAY BEFORE a long ride. Endurance riding is a science. Not so much a sport. (unless of course, you're out to break speed records.... I'm not, I'm out to sing, ring my bell, look at the birds, say "life is good" .... which reminds me ... new Title Nine Sports catalogue has a couple of t-shirts that are Soooooooooooooo me.........!!!) ....

May I recommend checking this book out of your local library??? Or even purchasing it. I have read it, reread it and am rereading it now in preparation for my next event!

Long Distance Cycling

This book will probably answer alot of your questions and alleviate many of your fears.

Remember: YOU CAN DO IT!!!! I have no doubt and all the faith... Besides, you'll have VF support around you. Wahhhhoooooooooooo...........

You really do need to learn to change a tire. Hopefully, there will be a knight in shining armor to help if it happens, but in the event that there's not, you'll need to do it yourself. I thought I knew how, till I got one at mile 10 on the Seagull Century, fell to pieces in the rain and almost bagged the whole ride..... Of course NanC calmed me down and we did get it changed, but we did have a Knight of sorts come by to help us!

Always ride with a spare tube (at the very least) , a patch kit (they're tiny, tiny, tiny) and get a pump for the bike to fit on the frame. I'm hoping to go to CO2 cartridges, but that will take practice and $$.... But, it's a heck of alot quicker.... You'll need a floor pump for home (about $20 for a decent one!) Find out what the amount of air is for your tire and ALWAYS fill it before riding! It's amazing how much air they lose on a ride! .... Learn to check your bike.... look at the tires for knicks, tears, etc. that are visible. You never know if you hit a piece of glass, rock, whatever and it gets embedded and you just aren't aware, cuz it didn't go flat! Check your brakes, learn how to take the wheels off and refasten the brakes! Eventually you become ONE with the bike. Ok, maybe I do.. and normal people don't, but It becomes a part of me....... all a smooth moving machine. yeah baby!

Next paragraph is on Chamois Butt'r: read at your own risk, might border on TMI!!!

Chamois Butt'r..... $12.95 a tube. Approximately. Would last the average rider about a season (I go through more than that, but that borders on TMI)... I have sensitive skin.... and let me tell you.... you only need to endure blisters ONCE and you'll never leave home without it. You can also use BodyGlide and similar products. Some people just use Bag Balm. Vaseline is NOT recommended for women, as it blocks those sweat ducts. I use padded biking pants..... protocol: Less is more. So, the less under the pants/shorts, the less room, seams, etc. for rubbing. Rubbing = NOT GOOD! Any chaffing can cause blisters, raw spots, etc, etc.

Back to regularly scheduled topic at hand:

Gloves are a must..... moving hands during a long ride is crucial. Learn to relax the scapula (as Cathe would say), as to minimize the neck tension, although with an upright, you're less likely to have as MUCH tension in your neck.... (love the bike btw... thanx for posting the link!) On long rides, one should stretch every hour for 5 minutes...... (*yes* it can be done on the bike! But is important) ...

Of course, I drink on the "zeros" .... whether I need it or not. That's drinking every 10 minutes. It's been documented that those who use a camelback..... are more apt to drink, then if they have water bottles. I use the water bottles for sports drinks, the camelback for water. You have to determine what is best for you. I have two camelbacks: 1 is 100 oz. and the MULE. I can carry money, tubes, tools, etc, etc...... for the longggggggg rides in the country where there's no stores, no delis, etc. Bear country! But, remember that adds weight to your back. 100 oz. of water is 100 oz. and extra poundage. I also have a 50 oz. camelback, which I use for "organized" rides, as it's lighter and I know there's pit stops along the way to refill it. (Oh wait! not always true: in the summer, I often take the mule, cuz I never know if I'm going to make a wrong turn, get lost, etc. and in the heat and humidity I do NOT want to run out of water!) ....

The most important thing for training is "time in the saddle" ... Yep, be it 2 miles, 5 miles, 50 miles, WHATEVER.... just get on that bike and ride and ride and ride......

Well, this was more then you bargained for Erin! But, I don't want you to be overwhelmed and think that 100 miles is impossible. It's not. You'll do wonderfully and you need to train your mind, your lungs and your legs... not to mention the core, upper body, etc. But, you'll have all of us along and we have a DANG good time!

Hope this helps!
(if you read through this entire long post...)
Cleda

PS.... Dang Smiley Police ~~~ Been a longgggggggggg time since they've put me on restriction! Must be the length of this here little post!!!! tee-hee.
Old 03-19-03, 11:53 AM  
Daphne M

Hi Fellow Sea Guller!

You've gotten lots of great advice.

My advice is to take your purchasing in stages. Start by locating a good Local Bike Shop, and plan on paying them a visit during "non-peak" hours. (Not on a sunny Saturday afternoon -- maybe a week night or evening.) Tell them right up front that you're not ready to buy everything all at once and that you're not in the market for a new bike. If they're smart, they will still give you plenty of attention. You see they know -- once you buy a couple of little items from them, you're hooked and then you're a customer for life.

I was in your shoes last spring. I'd been doing spinning classes for several months, but hadn't done any outdoor riding. I had a Specialized hybrid bike that cost me ~$300 back in 1996.

I started with taking the bike to the LBS and having them tune it up, lubricate all parts, check the tubes and the tires. I bought a good helmet and some bike gloves. I put a bottle cage on the bike to hold my water or Gatorade bottle. I bought a portable pump and had that permanently mounted on the bike as well. I bought a little under-the-seat wedge for storing items like a spare tube and patch kit. I also bought some pedals that had a side that I could use without clipping in and a side that I could clip my cycling cleats into. Whether you mount clipless pedals on your bike or not, I do recommend getting cycling shoes. I think they will spare your foot a lot of pain. Then I started riding.

After a few weeks of rides of about 45 to 75 minutes, I went back to the LBS. I spent about $50 or $60 on a women's specific design seat. I bought a cyclocomputer for about $25 so that I could track my distance and average mph. Then I went back to riding.

My last purchase was a rear storage rack. This was a rack that I could easily attach and detach to my seat post and was suspended above my rear tire. I bought a gear bag to attach to it. I decided that I would prefer to carry excess weight in the rear rack rather than in a fanny pack or Camelbak. That was just my personal preference. After you've been out riding for a while, you will have your own preferences.

And that's it. You can experiment with clothes as things progress, bearing in mind Cleda's excellent advice to dress in layers and wear wicking (NOT COTTON) fabrics. I definitely recommend padded bike shorts -- don't be nervous about these, they are great. If you don't like the body-hugging kind that most people wear, you can also buy baggies -- check out bikenashbar and performance bikes web sites for good deals on clothes.

As far as indoor training goes, I think that the SPINERVALS are the closest workouts on the market to an outdoor ride. So those are what I would recommend, since you're training for a specific event.

Finally, you may wish to purchase ear plugs. There's a lot of VFer singing that takes place during the Sea Gull Century. It's not always pleasant. Plus, I tell stories about my pervert neighbor Art. Things you really might now want to hear.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Old 03-19-03, 12:40 PM  
BLuna
VF Supporter

I nominate this thread for FAQ-dom!

(and please delete this off-topic message if/when that is/is not done. Is there a better way to suggest FAQ-ness without replying to the thread?)