Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 11-18-17, 01:30 PM  
Catahoula Cate

Question Boots for winter walking

My old, most comfortable boots good for walking in winter conditions have bit the dust and are no longer made. I've been trying to find a replacement and am a little frustrated. Boots these days are made from thick rubber molds on the bottom and they have very little give. I suppose eventually they'll get a little more give but who knows when? I'm looking for a decent winter boot with a more pliable sole so it doesn't feel like I'm walking on hard, inflexible rubber. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Quit sitting!! Joints and muscles love motion!

Do The Next Thing!
Old 11-18-17, 01:40 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Good question. I’m looking for something warm, waterproof and slip resistant for “going for a walk” - like 3 miles - versus something to just walk in when I’m going from Point A to Point B. I’ve heard of Arctic Grip boots, but haven’t looked into them yet. Not sure what’s availalbe that’s a good walker.

I think that’s pretty much what you’re looking for, right? Hope I didn’t derail your post.
Old 11-18-17, 01:50 PM  
Catahoula Cate

Yes, Joni, I'm looking for all those things too but if the sole is super stiff, it's not going to work for me so I'm trying to find one with a more pliable sole but also the things you mentioned for a winter walking boot. Thanks!

Do The Next Thing!
Old 11-18-17, 07:50 PM  
wendug

I love the brand Khombu for winter boots. I had a pair for years that eventually wore out on me, so I bought another pair of Khombu's to replace them. They are warm, waterproof and comfortable, which is what I need for walking my dogs in the snow! They aren't super expensive, either! I bought mine from Sierra Trading Post and they have a few pair on their site now.

https://www.sierratradingpost.com/s~...footwear~d~19/
Old 11-19-17, 11:21 AM  
Catahoula Cate

Wendy, the Meghan Suede Snow boot sure looks like it has the potential to be a super comfortable winter boot. I'm bookmarking that one! Thanks so much!

Do The Next Thing!
Old 11-19-17, 11:53 AM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catahoula Cate View Post
Wendy, the Meghan Suede Snow boot sure looks like it has the potential to be a super comfortable winter boot. I'm bookmarking that one! Thanks so much!
You are welcome! I was looking at those boots, too. They have memory foam insoles now which would make them more comfortable!
Old 11-19-17, 12:05 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I wish I could find some reviews about how they do walking on snow and ice.
Old 11-19-17, 12:08 PM  
Catahoula Cate

Joni, you can always get a pair of YakTrax for extra grip to put on the boots for extreme conditions. I've used Yaktrax for years and they are a part of my winter protocol now.

Do The Next Thing!
Old 11-19-17, 12:17 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I bought my hubby some YakTrax last year after he feel twice walking down the driveway to get the mail. Wasn’t sure how those would be walking a few miles on pavement that has ice here and there. I might try getting a feel walking around on his a bit.
Old 11-19-17, 01:00 PM  
Catahoula Cate

I have no idea how they'd be on intermittent pavement/ice. We live out of town and have no pavement. Once the snow hits, it's snowpack and ice until Spring and they are perfect for that.

Do The Next Thing!

Tags
walking boots