Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 04-16-24, 08:17 AM  
Helen

Electric kettle - do you have one?

There’s a whole thing going on X-formerly known as Twitter that electric kettles aren’t used in the USA!

How do you boil water for French press coffee, or a pot of tea?
A kettle on the stove?

Are they really not available in electrical stores? Or Target, K-Mart???

I’m quite taken aback by this.
Old 04-16-24, 08:21 AM  
Debinmi

That's funny

I've used electric kettles for almost 50 years ... starting in college to make tea in my dorm room.
Old 04-16-24, 08:54 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

We have one and use it often for tea and my daughter's noodles.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
Old 04-16-24, 09:32 AM  
donnamp

They do exist here - but I just use a kettle on the stove to boil water. My daughter does have an electric kettle for school though - and i have thought about getting one for home but I have too many kitchen appliances/gadgets as it is!

Does it boil the water faster than using a kettle on the stove?

Donna
Old 04-16-24, 09:32 AM  
Leonana

I have one, I think I bought it off of Amazon. I use it for herbal tea or hot chocolate. I think quite a few Americans have one and you can buy one here. I know you used to be able to buy them in stores, I think Walmart and Target still have them. Amazon has changed what’s available in stores. Don’t believe everything you read about Americans on the internet lol.

I think Americans used to use a tea kettle on the stove or a pan. However, nowadays they usually heat up water in the microwave or the Keurig. It’s easier and you need one less appliance.

Most Americans mostly drink coffee anyway, and either use a coffeemaker or a keurig. I’ve heard Europeans make coffee with the Melitta coffee filter with water from the electric kettle. I tried it and my coffee tasted terrible. I can’t get the hang of it.
Old 04-16-24, 09:34 AM  
prettyinpink

I have one, but use the stove or microwave more often.
Old 04-16-24, 09:37 AM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
They do exist here - but I just use a kettle on the stove to boil water. My daughter does have an electric kettle for school though - and i have thought about getting one for home but I have too many kitchen appliances/gadgets as it is!

Does it boil the water faster than using a kettle on the stove?

Donna
I think it does boil faster. Downside is I have one more appliance on my counter!

My problem was I kept forgetting the water on the stove and burned too many pans, lol.
Old 04-16-24, 09:59 AM  
donnamp

Sherry - LOL! I make "pour over" coffee that way every time. I am the only person who drinks coffee regularly at home, so making a pot was too much for one person - I prefer making one cup at a time with the "pour over" method. I don't like Keurig coffee - although we do have a Keurig - my DH will use it when he wants coffee, for me, that is a last resort - like I'm desperate and don't have time to do the pour over! I was gifted a Nespresso and I like that - but the pods are expensive so I save that for a special treat. See, I have too many appliances and gadgets! Although I am not against the electric tea kettle - particularly if it is faster and if it turns itself off!

Donna
Old 04-16-24, 10:23 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
There’s a whole thing going on X-formerly known as Twitter that electric kettles aren’t used in the USA!

A kettle on the stove?

I live in Hawaii, USA, not far from Australia (haha), and they're all over the place, in WalMart, Target, CVS, Macy's, FaceBook Marketplace, etc.

I think what it might be is terminology - I use the word "kettle" for exercise equipment, as in "Kettle bell"!!! most people I know never refer to a "hot pot" as a "kettle."

Also, for coffee, everyone uses either a drip "coffee maker" or a Kuerig. we refer to these as "coffee pot" even though technically they're not "coffee pots of olde" like from the 50s-60s. I think my mom referred to it as "the coffee pot" or "the percolator".

50's style "coffee pot":
https://www.amazon.com/Stansport-Sta...LSHfD_BwE&th=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
My daughter does have an electric kettle for school though - and i have thought about getting one for home but I have too many kitchen appliances/gadgets as it is!
as mentioned above, we all had "hot pots" in the dorm back in college, and they still use them since you can plug it into the wall on your desk in your room. As JackieB posted, used for cooking everything including noodles.

"hot pot" for cooking all sorts of things in the dorm:
https://www.amazon.com/Proctor-Silex...s%2C208&sr=8-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
I have one, but use the stove or microwave more often.
Yes - i boil my water for tea in the microwave - everything is in 1 vessel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
Downside is I have one more appliance on my counter!

My problem was I kept forgetting the water on the stove and burned too many pans, lol.
yes, less appliances on the counter. If i boil anything at all on the stove, including eggs, spaghetti, I always put the timer on so that we can hear it. i do the same when heating up a pan on the stove.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.

Last edited by bzar; 04-16-24 at 02:33 PM. Reason: added "percolator" as what they called it
Old 04-16-24, 10:31 AM  
geojill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post

A kettle on the stove?

I have used one for probably decades now, I love it, and use it regularly. It takes way too long to boil water on my electric stove at high altitude, and an electric kettle is way faster. Although I purchased my stainless steel electric kettle online, they can be found in a lot of stores.

Tags
coffee, french press, off topic, off-topic, tea